Thread: Get on this

Cool Get on this

samsung 840 Pro 256G

Now you may want to know how to do this ....... No expensive hardware needed ....as you can see this drive is running on the Intel RST on the z77 chipset.

I'm not going to type out everything that needs to be done unless there is interest in it .....Thx
    Last edited by Azzitude; 05-27-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: 3 main benchmarks for comparison in case anyone thinks I have just photoshopped this

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks sick & potentially expensive .....

More & more very expensive, quickly obsolete parts!!

Xtreme Member
    Just show us what you did. The numbers look good, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks like a ramdrive, but driver and disk names are for what OP says.

Maybe some ram-caching prog?

Xtreme Legend
    I just bought one so I would love to see more about this

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    Those numbers are not possible with a single ssd...if at all...lol
    'Best Bang For The Buck' Build - CM Storm Sniper - CM V8 GTS HSF
    2500K @ 4.5GHz 24/7 - Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 - GSkill 2x4GB DDR3-2400 C10
    Sapphire Vapor-X 7770 OC Edition - PC Power & Cooling Silencer MkIII 600W
    Boot: 2x 64GB SuperSSpeed S301 SLC Raid 0 Work: Intel 520 120GB
    Storage: Crucial M500 1TB - Ocz Vertex 4 128GB - 4x 50GB Ocz Vertex 2
    HDDs: 2 x 1TB WD RE4 Raid0 - Ext.Backup: 2 x 1.5TB WD Blacks Raid 1

Xtreme Guru
    We have all seen ram caching before (look at the access time in anvil on the 4K .005 =RAM)
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Yep, cache hits.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Quote Originally Posted by felix_w View Post
    Looks like a ramdrive, but driver and disk names are for what OP says.

Maybe some ram-caching prog?

DING DING DING!!!!! We Have A Winner.........

So yes I'm Running an 8GB Ram cache ....... for those of you that have 16Gb or more on win7 or win8 its just really a waste .......there are exceptions to that rule however.

So If you're Building a new Platform ...{cough Haswell} then consider this:

rather than buy a lot of High End expensive solutions to "speed up" the dang thing ..... invest in More Ram .....I used 8gb but even 4gb does really good at speeding up the slowest thing in your computer .... the data retrieval

And don't be Cheap about the Ram ..... 2133+ .....the faster that ram is, the better you cache with it ..... for you guys on the X79 platform this will help you a lot with bottlenecking and if you bought the right board then you can cram 128GB on it.

you can also cache your (Spinning) data drives with like 2gb and they will see alot better performance also.

so out of my 16gb of 2133 1gb goes to the onboard Intel 4000 video (for Virtu MVP) then I use about 6gb (normally) for SSD Cache and 2gb for my Data drive which leaves about 7gb for win 7 pro which is Plenty

I'm A Gamer so speed kills or lack of speed Gets You Killed.

The Software lets you configure each drive cache independently so if you don't wanna cache a drive you don't have to

FancyCache Disk Edition: be sure to get Disk edition Not Volume and also the link for the beta key is there .... I have really no idea what will be charged for this software But I will be buying it!

I just confirmed it will work with Raid Drives also

I have 3 60gb Chronos in raid 0 on an Amd APU system and it kicks azz now, not as good as the Intel Solutions tho
    Last edited by Azzitude; 05-27-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sounds like someone drumming a sales add.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

LOL, I don't work for these ppl ....I'm 50 Yrs old and retired ......And I ain't sellin nuthin
    Intel 3770k OC 4.8 Ghz
    GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.1)
    16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 2133 CAS 9 DDR3
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
    CoolerMaster Haf-XB
    Corsair H100 in Push/Pull with Cooler Master Excalibur 120MM Fans
    Coolmax 1200W ATX12V v2.3 /EPS12V v2.92 PS
    MSI R7870 HAWK Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

AMD 5800K APU
    GA-F2A85X-D3H
    8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 2133 CAS 9 DDR3
    CoolerMaster Haf-XB
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 60GB SSD X 3 in Raid 0
    COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-550
    CORSAIR H80 Push/Pull with Cooler Master 120MM Fans

Xtreme Guru
    FancyCache is nice, but personally I am very careful about using RAM caching for my personal stuff. Any power loss and you can lose data. I have really started to focus on reliability for my personal computer, but still have an OC'd gaming rig. For people with a dedicated gaming rig RAM caching can be very cool.
    I hate having to reinstall everything or messing with imaging OS, etc though. So for my rig I stay pretty vanilla with a RAID 0 of 8 x M4's.

Okay, I'm just joking LOL. Just one M4 is my boot drive for my daily driver, does the job reliably and cheap
    I do not recommend RAM caching though for most users, simply because most people don't stay on top of their backups. Nothing worse than losing irreplaceable pics/videos, etc.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Xtreme Member
    Superfetch is used as default in W7, so why bother with RAM-cache?

Xtreme Member
    These posts pop up every few months as if it is something new.

First Off: Ram Cache is fine and safe even if you lose power , Ram Disks are the absolute worst , now with that said I will explain

Ramdisks use ram to create a Phantom Disk that exists only while the computer is powered up, they have an option of saving the drive contents at shut down that requires a really long shutdown time so it can write everything to disk and then copy it all back onto the drive again when the system is running again. lose power while it saves that file and Yeah it's over, data gone.

RAMCACHE:

"Read only" mode has nothing to do with data integrity Because it only caches the reads (caches data that is already stored on a drive), now if you turn the write cache on then you better have a UPS in case you do lose power ..... My write Cache is set at 30 sec Delay Write and I have 45 minutes of full load Battery

SanDisk actually Makes ssd's that do this to your old spinning drives with their software but RAM is Faster than any SSD !!!
    Asus has a version of it on their boards (ASUS SSD Caching) and Intel has it on the 77 Chipset also called Rapid Start.
    None of these will work with one SSD Caching another SSD Tho, they all require 64gb Max SSD and 1 Regular Hard Drive and the speed up is marginal at best

Superfetch is useless on an SSD and should be turned off (services.msc) for an SSD Boot Drive as it has nothing to do with caching after windows has started.

To All The Haters:

I NEVER said this was new ........What I said was it should be considered for the benefit of actually using all that RAM that people were told would make the system run better and faster and stronger and now have it sitting doing nothing for them Because running full load they still have a Ton of Free ram.

I did say they should consider in a new build buying Excessive ram to facilitate using RamCache to Cache the Drives in the system thus alleviating a major bottleneck. And it's not like it will be wasted, if you dont like the cache software then uninstall it and you still have a bunch of ram wasted as before we started this whole venture, maybe go into graphics editing or movie production to fully utilize it idk.

Haters will Hate no matter what you try and help them with, if you think this is not for you then GREAT!!! Go put a 2011 Socket Cooler on an 1155 CPU with all that knowledge you have, JUST Move on and do whatever it is you do, Don't sit on a forum and Dog People for trying to make someone elses life a little better.

Obviously Some of you wanted to GO FASTER because I see Alot of ppl on here using SSD's (and crappy ones at that) in Raid 0 (talk about unsafe) and you posted your numbers and now you are butt hurt that you spent all that money on something that just gave you a Marginal Speed increase .... Then I come along and just blow your theory all to crap and show you numbers to back it up and even video the benchmarks in progress and spend my time trying to show you a different way and you just FLAME me for it .....OK Fine but some ppl don't have all this knowledge that you may or may not have (fanboys). This is why Alot of people Dont like to help anyone or suggest a different way because someone will ALWAYS show up and act a fool.
    Last edited by Azzitude; 05-28-2013 at 01:40 AM.
    Intel 3770k OC 4.8 Ghz
    GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.1)
    16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 2133 CAS 9 DDR3
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
    CoolerMaster Haf-XB
    Corsair H100 in Push/Pull with Cooler Master Excalibur 120MM Fans
    Coolmax 1200W ATX12V v2.3 /EPS12V v2.92 PS
    MSI R7870 HAWK Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

AMD 5800K APU
    GA-F2A85X-D3H
    8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 2133 CAS 9 DDR3
    CoolerMaster Haf-XB
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 60GB SSD X 3 in Raid 0
    COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-550
    CORSAIR H80 Push/Pull with Cooler Master 120MM Fans

Xtreme Member
    Programs like fancy cache are a bit of a fail IMO.

All non hard drive benching software already caches data extensively in memory through the normal windows page cache. In addition, windows will automatically shrink and expand the cache based on workload.

Programs like AS-SSD/Crystaldiskmark/ASU explicitly tell the OS not to use the page cache so they can check the performance of the drive itself. Defeating it just makes these programs look good, and does very little for normal program operation as normal software already uses a cache.

Edit: I just don't see the point of wasting memory on another disk cache. One that isn't as well tested or tuned as the windows cache would be.

Edit 2: As for Computurd's criticism, that is correct. All modern operating systems rely on writes being sent to the drive and applied in an ordered manner. This prevents filesystem corruption as the OS filesystem driver can use the journal to track changes to filesystem metadata. If the journal and filesytem are not written in the correct order, then the filesystem driver cannot reliably apply or roll back changes after an unclean shutdown. You can modify this behavior from the device manager, but I wouldn't recommend it in most cases.
    Last edited by canthearu; 05-28-2013 at 05:33 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Azzitude, I think maybe you are taking things in the wrong context. I dont really see any 'haters' coming out of the woodwork and flaming you, though an overreaction like this might bring them out.
    I just see competing viewpoints and opinions. There are pros and cons to RAM caching, just like everything.

Even a UPS doesnt provide full protection from power loss. An errant BSOD can also cause the issue, from an MS driver update to aging caps on your mobo taking your rock-solid OC down a notch after a few years.
    There are just so many variables, we are already at risk with vanilla systems and this just seems to add another layer of probable failure.
    For instance, a UPS can really help if you lose power at the plug in, but what about host power loss? If you check the SMART attribute for unsafe power shutdowns on most SSDs you will be surprised.
    The unexpected power loss:
    This value is the total number of times the device has been power-cycled unexpectedly. Unexpected power loss can be avoided by preceding a power off with an ATA STBI (STANDBY IMMEDIATE) command, and allowing the SSD to properly complete this command before removing power to the SSD.
    So, if this command isn't sent, and received, all the power at the wall outlet in the world isn't going to help. The SSD doesn't write all data in transit down to the NAND and a 'normal' shutdown becomes an unclean one.
    Now, mix in the fact that a BSOD freezes up the system and the OS doesn't send this command and you have a recipe for disaster. This is why those with SSDs should really nail down overclocks with an OS, then reinstall once the OC is locked down. The numerous BSOD's during overclocking lead to corruption issues down the road that cause other unsafe shutdowns, its a vicious cycle.
    I understand the benefits of RAM caching, i am just a dork and choose to use DRAM caching on RAID controllers to do it for me. There is ECC and BBU on this DRAM, but there are still perils with that as well. Without ECC on standard consumer RAM there really is a wide open door for data corruption even if you dont lose power.
    ....speaking of FancyCache, my first experiments with it were with PCMark Vantage, and man it is awesome in combination with stanky RAID controllers Even with a single SSD I can see the benefit in limited scenarios, but for those who have precious data on the same rig that they use RAM caching for I just don't feel it is the safest method of acceleration.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

RAIDer
    Boring old tech, but always fun the first time.

Compu: Any updates on the Areca soon?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What's the point of caching writes on DRAM? One power loss and you're done..

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizzen View Post
    Boring old tech, but always fun the first time.

Compu: Any updates on the Areca soon?
    Its pre-Computex time so I am slammed with work, but once I can get out from under this mountain of work I will get on it. We do have a neat new array for testing that just came in that should more than saturate...well,...just about anything
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Oh, this could be done easily back in 2010 and with the older 1366 socket platform with a freeware.
    Problem was reliability and that most software (at least image editing programs) do not get significant benefit from RamDisk.