Thread: Help! New build won't boot!

Xtreme Member

Help! New build won't boot!

Finishing up a new build. Corsair 550D case, I-5 3570 Ivy Bridge CPU, ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 mobo, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB), Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

When I turn it on, the cpu fan, the graphics card, and one of the three case fans turn on for a few seconds, and then turn off (all plugged into the mobo). The CPU led light on the mobo is red. Memory light ok. After a few seconds it tries to power up and repeats the same cycle.

I reseated the HSF - same problem. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Salamander 2; 05-26-2013 at 02:25 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Get the mobo out of the case, check for short circuits ( eg. cooler backplate) Reseat the CPU, try to boot with one dimm. Hopefully she posts, if it continues to turn on/off rapidly, either the board has gone or the CPU is dead...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Get the mobo out of the case, check for short circuits ( eg. cooler backplate) Reseat the CPU, try to boot with one dimm. Hopefully she posts, if it continues to turn on/off rapidly, either the board has gone or the CPU is dead...
    I tried with no memory, no sound card, no graphics cards, no hdd. still wouldn't post. I'll try re-seating the CPU.

I am Xtreme
    Get the mobo out of the case first !
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Get the mobo out of the case first !
    Tried that - still no luck. power light turns green, cpu fan spins up while cpu led stays red, then everything shuts down. A few seconds later it automatically starts up and then shuts down. and then again.......

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander 2 View Post
    I tried with no memory, no sound card, no graphics cards, no hdd. still wouldn't post. I'll try re-seating the CPU.
    Unless something change in the last years, your machine will NEVER POST if you don't have at least a single memory module installed. So at least have one.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zir_blazer View Post
    Unless something change in the last years, your machine will NEVER POST if you don't have at least a single memory module installed. So at least have one.
    I've tried it with memory, and without. One stick, two sticks. Doesn't matter. Same issue.

Edit: Two case fans don't turn on, while one does. All case fans are plugged into the mobo.

Xtreme Member
    Update - I completely rebuilt it. I checked the CPU when I re-built - no bent pins.

I removed the on-board battery for 30 seconds, and then put it back.

When I push the power button now, the components power up and stay powered, but nothing shows on the monitor and nothing indicating it is posting.

Any more suggestions?
    Last edited by Salamander 2; 05-26-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    It happened with me before, mobo asus z77 sabertooth, new system never boot up, i tried everything no go, then i return the sabertooth and i get asus z77 MVF instead and its boot from the first push.
    Gaming rig;
    ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION
    I7-4390K
    G.SKILL Trident X 16GB 2400
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;
    Auzen X-Fi H.T. HD --> Yulong D100 MKII --> D-7100

Xtreme Member
    When I turn it on, the cpu fan, the graphics card

-should boot with the on board so remove the dgpu what is it btw?
    MVF WC ||3770k-KL370||CM932||AX1200||580 sli -EK||
    3XMCR320\w655 EK[basement]||w655 EK[HAF932] || VL4N||MR||2xfan controllers || 9 x S-Flex F -[rads]
    8gb Trident 2400||Samsung S27A850D||Win7HP-64||2x120gb G2 R0 OS||2x150Vraptors R0-backup|| G15,G13||G9x
    PC sound>forte analog>Yamaha 765>4xPSB alpha B1>alpha C1>10" sub [very clean sound].+sens PC360

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UNTAMED View Post
    When I turn it on, the cpu fan, the graphics card

-should boot with the on board so remove the dgpu what is it btw?
    Yes - try a boot with one stick of ram, cpu, and use cpu graphics.Do this out of the case. Report back on result. If it boots ok with screen output then maybe a gpu problem. At this point I would still suspect either mobo or cpu as faulty. Can you borrow a known working cpu to try as an alternative to rule out the cpu? Also you have not mentioned if the Power supply is new or old - if it is old then maybe this has just become faulty? Try to eliminate possible causes by substituting known good components until you find the culprit.

Mark
    CPU: Core I7 920 DO
    Mainboard: Giga-Byte X58a-UD7
    Ram: 6GB Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD5870 vapourx
    PSU: Silverstone DA850
    Storage: Intel X25 M G2 80GB x 2 Raid 0
    Seagate 750+500 drives for storage

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tipes View Post
    Yes - try a boot with one stick of ram, cpu, and use cpu graphics.Do this out of the case. Report back on result. If it boots ok with screen output then maybe a gpu problem. At this point I would still suspect either mobo or cpu as faulty. Can you borrow a known working cpu to try as an alternative to rule out the cpu? Also you have not mentioned if the Power supply is new or old - if it is old then maybe this has just become faulty? Try to eliminate possible causes by substituting known good components until you find the culprit.

Mark
    Update: I removed the on-board battery again, this time for about 20 minutes. Before when I tried to update the bios using the usb back port and the mobo bios update button, the green light would flash three or four times and then stay lit without blinking, which the support website indicates it didn't work. After pulling the battery for 20 minutes I tried this approach again. It appeared to work, at least according to how the green light flashed. So it appears I may have the latest bios. Still wouldn't post.

I tried with one stick of ram, cpu and using cpu graphics card. No luck. I tried the same with a different stick of ram - from another computer with a similar ASUS board. No luck.

I swapped out the PSU with one that is working with my other computer - with a similar ASUS board. Again, no luck.

I don't have another working CPU unless I dismantle my other computer, which would be a major hassle for me and the rest of my family.

Given the above, is it most likely the mobo? The CPU? Both?

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like it may be either your mobo or the PSU. Try a different PSU to start with. The symptom is like one I had before, which was the board, the MOSFETS were bad somehow in my case. A bad CPU usually wouldn't turn off the whole system like that.
    Asus Rampage II Gene, Xeon W3550 D0 Mushkin PC3-2000 6GB, BFG 9600GT OC 512MB DDR3
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe 1.01G, AMD A64 4000+, 2x1GB Ultra PC-3200, EVGA 7600GT 256MB DDR3
    Asus MA378-T with AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850
    ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0, Intel Celeron E1400, MSI 8500GT 256MB DDR3
    BIOStar P4M900-M7 Rev. 7.0, Intel Celeron 440, 1GB Kingston, 6600LE
    Gigabyte M61PME-S2P with AMD Athlon 64 LE-1660, EVGA 8500GT 1GB DDR2

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcniest5 View Post
    Sounds like it may be either your mobo or the PSU. Try a different PSU to start with. The symptom is like one I had before, which was the board, the MOSFETS were bad somehow in my case. A bad CPU usually wouldn't turn off the whole system like that.
    See earlier updates. All the components are getting power, and I have tried a different PSU. Everything seems to be working EXCEPT it won't post.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sounds like a faulty mobo, warranties are great things yo.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Member
    Update: I removed the on-board battery again, this time for about 20 minutes. Before when I tried to update the bios using the usb back port and the mobo bios update button, the green light would flash three or four times and then stay lit without blinking, which the support website indicates it didn't work. After pulling the battery for 20 minutes I tried this approach again. It appeared to work, at least according to how the green light flashed. So it appears I may have the latest bios. Still wouldn't post.

I tried with one stick of ram, cpu and using cpu graphics card. No luck. I tried the same with a different stick of ram - from another computer with a similar ASUS board. No luck.

I swapped out the PSU with one that is working with my other computer - with a similar ASUS board. Again, no luck.

I don't have another working CPU unless I dismantle my other computer, which would be a major hassle for me and the rest of my family.

Given the above, is it most likely the mobo? The CPU? Both?
    It is a shame that you cant try another cpu just to be absolutely sure, but at this point I would concur with other thoughts posted - it looks as though the mobo could be the faulty item. Time for RMA me thinks.
    The only other thing you could try as regards mobo is to leave the bios battery out for 24hrs as this is sometimes reputed to re set the mobo to factory condition. I am not convinced of this, but others have said in the past
    that this works - maybe worth a last try before RMA.

Mark

Xtreme Member
    It is a shame that you cant try another cpu just to be absolutely sure, but at this point I would concur with other thoughts posted - it looks as though the mobo could be the faulty item. Time for RMA me thinks.
    The only other thing you could try as regards mobo is to leave the bios battery out for 24hrs as this is sometimes reputed to re set the mobo to factory condition. I am not convinced of this, but others have said in the past
    that this works - maybe worth a last try before RMA.

Mark
    I'll give it a try!

Xtreme Member
    I'll give it a try!
    Any luck? If not then RMA for mobo?

Mark

Xtreme Member
    Any luck? If not then RMA for mobo?

Mark
    I ended up going the RMA route - sent it back today.

Xtreme Member
    I ended up going the RMA route - sent it back today.
    Fair enough - let us hope this ends your troubles.

Mark

Xtreme Member
    Fair enough - let us hope this ends your troubles.

Mark
    Thanks!!

Xtreme Member
    I received the repaired motherboard back, built the compute with no problems. One thing that seems a bit odd – the motherboard temps are about 6 degrees higher at idle than the pro version of the board. Same case, same case fans, different CPU and different CPU cooler, different graphics card, same memory. The CPU temps are essentially the same. The pro board mobo temps at idle are running 30c, while this mobo temps are running at idle at 36c. Is this typical?