View Poll Results: Is acoustic foam worth it?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I personally tried it, and it made an audible difference

5 41.67%
  • I personally tried it, and it seemed to make no difference

6 50.00%
  • Haven't tried it, but really wanted to vote for something! Posted my opinion below

1 8.33%

Thread: Opinions on acoustic foam?

I am Xtreme

Question Opinions on acoustic foam?

Hi all,

I am considering picking up some acoustic foam to make my PC a little quieter. Nothing too crazy, just putting some on side panels, and floor of the chassis.

Is it worth it? What are your experiences?

Thanks.
    Last edited by zalbard; 05-15-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    The most you can say about it is that it adds weight to flimsy panels, making it harder for them to resonate with the sources of noise. Possibly taking the edge off high-frequency noise that shouldn't be there in the first place (if you're serious about keeping things quiet). On the other hand, if you're a believer in conducting heat through your case panels, foam definitely kills that possibility dead.

I've had conversations with numerous people who deal professionally in acoustic design/soundproofing, and there's one common theme in all the conversations - when I show them what's sold in the PC modding scene, they laugh.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    The most you can say about it is that it adds weight to flimsy panels, making it harder for them to resonate with the sources of noise. Possibly taking the edge off high-frequency noise that shouldn't be there in the first place (if you're serious about keeping things quiet). On the other hand, if you're a believer in conducting heat through your case panels, foam definitely kills that possibility dead.

I've had conversations with numerous people who deal professionally in acoustic design/soundproofing, and there's one common theme in all the conversations - when I show them what's sold in the PC modding scene, they laugh.
    Honest answer - just what I needed. Thanks!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Foam won't work since a computer case is open through fan holes and another myriad holes. I covered a side of my case with it just because I happened to have some foam and wanted to give it a go, and I noticed no improvement at all.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I will say that it can do a good job of reducing HDD noise when used around there. Other than that it can be hit or miss depending on where you install how much and the quality of material. What would be interesting for side panels is a test comparing just duct taping some cardboard boxes in there!

Xtreme Addict
    Just some extra food for thought:

The vast majority of computer noise can be classified as low frequency noise. Even a "high speed" 3k rpm, 10-blade fan is going to have a base frequency of 50Hz, and a blade pass frequency of 500Hz, which still considered pretty low. Basic physics says that for best results, the thickness of the material doing the absorbing needs to be a certain percentage of the sound's wavelength. The lower the frequency, the longer the wavelength, the thicker the material.

How thick? If you do a search for "low frequency sound absorption", and see some of the professional products for it, you'll notice a common theme - the stuff is all several inches thick. Which is why that skinny crap being sold is going to do squat when it comes to actually "absorbing" sound. The best you can hope is that it might keep the case from rattling, or maybe that it, plus the case panel, will reflect the sound away from where you're sitting.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Member
    Around 4 years ago, I went thru a phase where I looked into and tried a number of different kinds of commercial sound dampening materials. It was more for the "just to do it" aspect as it was to any actual need. I noticed little in the way of any significant or notable benefit, at least not worth the time and expense. The real benefit came from upgrading to better components over time. I am skeptical that any substantial benefit would be able to be realized without substantial modding with a custom build and materials.

Xtreme Addict
    Without a doubt it tamed the resonance of Gentle Typhoon x 10 in my Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24. I only used it on the two side panels.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Addict
    It certainly reduced the high pitch and resonance when i put it on my Lian Li A71 case panels.

Xtreme Member
    I experimented with acoustic foam some years ago. It got rid of the high pitched noise of some of my components, including some fans.

Nowadays, my cosmos has some foam on the side panels...even getting them close to the chassis, damps the noise quite a bit.

My take on this is, go for components that make low noise...Like big fans instead of small ones, big coolers for cpu, vga, etc. A PSU with a 120 or larger fan.

I got some Noctua fans yesterday...the difference to my stock fans is ridiculous.

Vic
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 // Intel Core i7 920
    SuperTalent PC3-12800 3x2gb
    ATI 4870X2 2gb
    Samsung 1TBx6
    Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000w
    Coolermaster Cosmos
    Dell u3014

Xtreme Member
    You may notice a difference in the high frequency noises, resonance and rattling. If you have something specific like an optical drive, get some foam insulating tape and put that on the drive. I did that with the front fans on the P280 and it stopped the vibrations.
    CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
    RAM: g.skill 4gb ripjaws ddr3 1600
    MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
    VID: HD6950 @ 850/1300 (for now)
    SOUND: Auzen X-Fi Prelude
    PSU: Seasonic X-560
    HDD: Seagate 500gb :: Samsung 500gb SATAII :: Samsung 1tb
    CASE: Antec P182 w/window
    COOLING: Panaflo 120x38mm medium-speed 2x :: Panaflo 120x25mm medium/low :: Thermalright Venomous X/ Delta 120x38mm low-speed

Most teenagers (some adults, as well) have changed to decide that rap sounds musical. If you haven't, put this in your signature.