Thread: CPU not working very hard

CPU not working very hard

I have seven threads working on CPU WUs and one thread working on 13 GPU WUs (I have two GPUs working). My GPU is very sluggish (obviously) with zero errors (knock on wood), but with all of this happening, my Task Manager shows the CPU as not exceeding 50% and no CPU WU exceeding 7% (7 x 7 is 49). How can I make more efficient use of my computer? 50% of the time, it's just sitting doing nothing.

According to the numbers, the threads should be able to handle twice the number of WUs or they should be completed in half the time. Is this just bad programming of the WUs?

Thanks for the education.
    Gandalf

P. S. - I have a RAM Drive install, if that helps. A thought. Are the WUs being delayed by the program on the assumption that they are I/O writing and I/O reading to a standard HDD, thereby defeating the purpose of the RAM Drive or am I over thinking this issue?

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer" [Douglas Adams (11 March 1952 - 11 May 2001)]

A follow up observation.

Using a computer without a RAM Drive configured and running a similar WU configuration, the CPU is peaking at 94% and the WUs are hitting 13 CPU %.

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer" [Douglas Adams (11 March 1952 - 11 May 2001)]

Xtreme Legend
    I am not clear what projects you are running but on the profile for this machine (work, school etc) have you set maximum usage?

Boinc local preferences too need this. Maybe local disk and memory settings could use some help as well

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I am not clear what projects you are running but on the profile for this machine (work, school etc) have you set maximum usage?
    Boinc local preferences too need this. Maybe local disk and memory settings could use some help as well
    OC - I double checked the local settings and they are both the same. 100% across the board. Since the two computers are both running PrimeGrid and WCG (that is PrimeGrid for GPU WUs and WCG for CPU WUs), the Account settings will be the same for both computers.