Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey - who's still around?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Did people bolt?? Only like 12 active crunchers, i just leave my rigs on at night since it's starting to heat up. GTX 660Ti or 760 incoming in the next few months, didn't even realize we were #1 when did this happen?
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    if i had a gpu I would be crunching this, this is the only project I ever did.

but alas no dedicated gpu, just onboard servergrade gpu's in my house lol

HWiNFO Author
    It's too hot here, so I'm mostly running lighter tasks (E@H) and just few GPUGrid.

I'm still here. And yes, quiet indeed. Been playing Path of Exile, although I think I need a break. A year long binge can do that

Recently built my 5th rig (3rd heavy duty one). 4770k@4.2, with currently 1 780, and just yesterday ordered the 2nd one. Should be here by Friday or Saturday. I just REALLY REALLY want GPUgrid to get the damn app functional already. Currently it's on Einstein@home, however I'm having this weird issue where even when running just one task at a time, about every other day, the driver crashes (although not a *full*crash). No message in toolbar, nothing. The damn fan speed reverts to default, and the
    Mem clock drops all the way down to 325Mhz. I have to restart the whole rig to get it functioning again. This is with Kboost on too.

Banned
    Nobody is still around... they have all left.

We all dead :P

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm here once in a blue moon. I stopped coming here when I got "banned" for 14 days(or whatever it was) with no warning and no mod responded to my email asking for clarification on why. Even to this day(2 years or so later) I still haven't had my email responded to. Hence I just fell off the face of the earth from this forum's point of view. And for whatever reason the news section doesn't show up for me when I'm logged in. So why bother coming here when you can be handed bans for reasons left unexplained and see sections removed from your profile's view without warning.

Treat me like dirt and i'll leave.. so I did.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm still hanging around, but rarely come back to the forum (Life's gotten very busy recently... it's quite unfortunate - I liked my free time). Still have my old GTX 460 cranking away 24/7 in it's dedicated rig. Looking forward to getting a nicer GPU, but currently don't have the money, and I prioritize crazy stuff like food and bills
    (no joke, little poor at the money, but hopefully grad school with fix that )

Anyway - still crunching away on my piddly little machine. Slow and steady...

And Josh1980 - it's too bad to hear you're not stickin around. You'll be missed. (Please check back in with us here every once in a while... or on the WCG page! You still have friends here)

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    And Josh1980 - it's too bad to hear you're not stickin around. You'll be missed. (Please check back in with us here every once in a while... or on the WCG page! You still have friends here)
    Hehe. I drop by once in a while when I'm really really really bored, but after the way things went with my random banning and never could get an explanation I really didn't feel like I wanted to continue to participate in a forum that will ban people with no warning, explanation, etc. I remember you, and I remember we used to have some great conversations between quite a few people that practically lived on the forums back in 2010 and 2011. But alas, once I got banned it was like "wth am I doing to be treated like this". Then after the ban ended I emailed 2 or 3 of the moderators trying to figure out why happened and I got no replies. Nobody answered and when I asked someone else in the forum who had been banned before and had like 2k posts they said "yeah... get used to it.. you'll get banned and they'll delete your PMs asking why etc." I was just shocked that I was such an active member and then *boom*.. banned for 30 days or whatever it was with no explanation or anything. If someone with over 700 posts gets treated like that I just didn't feel particularly "desired" by the forum, so I left.

My problem was that if I got banned for "something" who's to say I won't get banned for doing it again. I don't post things that are inappropriate or anything that I'd consider questionable so I've really been confused. On my new forum I have over 5k posts and quite happy there. I won't get banned since I'm a moderator there. My name there isn't josh1980 so you definitely won't find me from my username.

It does look like this forum has gone way downhill in activity though. Maybe too many people have been burned and now the forum will suffer a long and slow death. Too bad really. After the ban (and especially when I was give the silent treatment when I asked why) I just lost motivation to be here. I have some great memories of staying up until midnight discussing various options for crunching and helping others setup their crunchers.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, the news section can be a mine field - and they tend to Ban first, ask questions later, but given how much crap is spewed in that section it's hard to fault them too much. Always sad when innocents get caught in the crossfire though. That said, I read the news sections, but rarely comment - I stick to GPUGrid and WCG sections simply because they're more civil.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I don't even have access to the news section.. lol!

Their whole banning processes seems very screwed up to me, and is quite possibly why the forum membership is in the ditches.

I really wish this place was like it used to be. It was bustling with life, it was a place I visited when I was on a break, on lunch, or just got home. I used to check it 10 times a day. Now, if I check it 10 times a year that would be shocking. As it is I've logged in 4 times in the last week, and as soon as this thread falls into oblivion I'll probably disappear again for another year. LOL.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Haven't been to the News section in years........

So if people are leaving where are they hanging out?
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    Haven't been to the News section in years........

So if people are leaving where are they hanging out?
    I don't really know - would be nice to find out though. I mostly just don't come around as much. Ironically my contributions on GPUGrid are steady and WCG is at an all-time high, but just dont' come to XS as often...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Me neither, and when i get new parts i'm too lazy to bother learning how to overclock them.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    Me neither, and when i get new parts i'm too lazy to bother learning how to overclock them.
    I just haven't had the time! Been crazy hectic for the past year... man that's a long time... but honestly. It's been on my list to overclock these suckers (and build some more systems) but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    one of my 660 Ti cards died it seems, have replaced it with my spare GTX 470 for now, ugh
    Main: i7-930 @ 2.8GHz HT on; 1x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    2nd: i7-920 @ 2.66GHz HT off; 1x EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC 100% GPUGrid
    3rd: i7-3770k @ 3.6GHz HT on, 3 threads GPUGrid CPU; 2x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    Part-time: FX-4100 @ 3.6GHz, 2 threads GPUGrid CPU; 1x EVGA GTX 650 100% GPUGrid

Xtreme Cruncher
    I noticed there are a few other teams pushing hard on the daily numbers ... not it helps too much but I just got my 660Ti up and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by werdwerdus View Post
    one of my 660 Ti cards died it seems, have replaced it with my spare GTX 470 for now, ugh
    got that RMA launched yet?

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    To the original post, I am back, but with my old hardware and looking to see if it is still useful. I will find out soon...

We'll see.

Regards,
    Bob
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Cruncher
    back, good to see you around again!
    IIRC your 'old' hardware was rockin' back in the day but I *think* now you might be only able to run shorties and not the long tasks. One newish card (660Ti and up) would beat 4 GTX260s and use much less electricity. If you're thinking even 1 new card, same story as ever - the newest hardware *7XX runs faster and cheaper

Linux those diseases
    Hello 123bob, great to see you back.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I still browse the forum occasionally when I have time, life has gotten busy... How do the 7970s do on gpu grind last time I run it I had nvidia cards...

Linux those diseases
    It's still an Nvidia only project. If you want to use your ATI card for Team XS then we have a thriving team at Einstein@home which is at #2 in the dailys

Xtreme Cruncher
    Does anyone know how to go back month by month looking at your stats? The Free DC one seems not to have anything newer than May of this year
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580

Xtreme Cruncher
    Anyone running a GTX650Ti?? I'm wondering how long it takes to finish short/long runs?
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by werdwerdus View Post
    yeah so far 2 of my gtx 660 ti cards have died. also just wanted to let the team know i'm still alive and kicking, just been taking a break from DC, trying to save some electricity costs recently. take care!
    Main: i7-930 @ 2.8GHz HT on; 1x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    2nd: i7-920 @ 2.66GHz HT off; 1x EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC 100% GPUGrid
    3rd: i7-3770k @ 3.6GHz HT on, 3 threads GPUGrid CPU; 2x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    Part-time: FX-4100 @ 3.6GHz, 2 threads GPUGrid CPU; 1x EVGA GTX 650 100% GPUGrid

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast