Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to choose DDR-III Memory Modules for 32 GB RAM (4 * 8 GB)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    xdan and AMDforMe,

Thanks for looking...if the info is programmed in, then it is found in the SPD tab, about halfway down the screen, and all the way over to the right (it will be the box just above the last XMP Profile). The box is labeled "Week/Year". Mushkin may not populate that field.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    New list. Added in RAMExpert prices (That are noticeabily more expensive than Newegg, but the fact that they ship internationally could make them preferable for me, otherwise I need a middleman), several Mushkin modules that aren't on their main webpage, and some of the AMD modules.

I HATE discovering undocumented SKU that could potentially fill a niche. But worse that the missing Mushkin ones, is almost AMD entire memory line. They don't have any consecutive SKU/spec lists to be able to easily locate an specific model in Google, so you have to go through several PDFs taking note of them. And boy, they DO have tons of undocumented modules. The Performance 1866 MHz 2 * 8 GB kit that is available on Newegg doesn't appear anywhere on the Radeon Memory webpage, its like they forgot to update info on available models on the PDFs from the Performance and Gamer lines. I couldn't find neither the Radeon Gamer 8 GB module that The Stilt just mentioned, just that AMD released a 4 * 4 GB Radeon Gamer kit less than a week ago.

On the good side, the Radeon RE1600 AE316G1609U2K here, is by far THE cheapest 2 * 8 GB 1600 MHz kit and even got above average Timmings to boot! The 1866 MHz kit is 30% more expensive, and to be honest, for as long as the IC are decent (Meaning, that I have some headroom), I could happily settle with the 1600 MHz modules, because for their price they're I N C R E D I B L E. I just need to get them from a supplier that ships internationally at competitive prices. So far, for as long that you guys approve that module (The Stilt, I'm looking at you!), I think that I have made a choice... I just need to figure out how to get it here.

I'm dying to prove that this Motherboard does work with 32 GB RAM. Oh, did I mentioned that I'm using good old WXP SP3? Don't worry - I have an ace under my sleeve I'm going to push the theorical limit of PAE.

Xtreme Legend
    The OEM for AMD / Radeon memory changed quite recently from Patriot to Dataram so there is no accurate info available for the ICs.

The Entertaiment Edition & <1866MHz Performance Edition modules are either Elpida or Micron rev. D/E.

Getting 32GB of guaranteed Hynix MFR based RAM for cheap is tough.
    I'd say getting Kingston is the most certain and probably the cheapest way too.

If you don't plan to use the iGPU of APU the memory is pretty much irrelevant.
    There is no noteable performance increase above DDR-1600 on CPUs / NPUs.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post
    The OEM for AMD / Radeon memory changed quite recently from Patriot to Dataram so there is no accurate info available for the ICs.

The Entertaiment Edition & <1866MHz Performance Edition modules are either Elpida or Micron rev. D/E.

Getting 32GB of guaranteed Hynix MFR based RAM for cheap is tough.
    I'd say getting Kingston is the most certain and probably the cheapest way too.
    Does this means that the AMD 1866 MHz Performance Edition modules are Hynix MFR, or not? If they are, they are also the cheapest around, so they would still be a decent, if more expensive, choice.

I could easily pay that 30%. If I pay with credit card, I get the official conversion rates so those 250 U$D are merely 1325$. The problem is that Newegg doesn't ship internationally, and I'm having troubles trying to find this AMD memory at ANY other vendor. This means that I will need to use a middleman for Newegg, and it would get to a bit over 2000, but still on budget. The problem will be if I had to RMA...

Quote Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post
    If you don't plan to use the iGPU of APU the memory is pretty much irrelevant.
    There is no noteable performance increase above DDR-1600 on CPUs / NPUs.
    The point is that as I still don't know if I will take Haswell or Richland, chances are that if I purchase slower RAM and go to a Richland, I would feel like I made a subpar choice on RAM. Also, due to the fact that I plan to do RAMDisk intensive use, I have the feeling that using faster RAM could potentially increase quite a bit I/O capability. After all, I will have CPU, iGPU and the RAMDisk all fighting for the precious Memory Bandwidth.

So far, its either AMD RE1600 or RP1866. Assuming I can get them in.

Xtreme Legend
    PE 1866 16GB SHOULD be MFR yes.
    Radeon Gamer 2133 4GB modules are MFR too, but single sided..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The only service I found that could work for Newegg is Shipito, and it got great references. However, I don't know how much they would charge me in my local currency. There are many restrictions regarding Paypal and international Credit Cards (Newegg requieres a Credit Card with an USA address, so I can't pay directly with mine).

Meanwhile, RE1600 AE316G1609U2K price was raised from 95 to 119 U$D and RP1866 AP316G1869U2K from 125 to 130 U$D. Curse this world.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefa_Madness View Post
    xdan and AMDforMe,

Thanks for looking...if the info is programmed in, then it is found in the SPD tab, about halfway down the screen, and all the way over to the right (it will be the box just above the last XMP Profile). The box is labeled "Week/Year". Mushkin may not populate that field.
    The box is empty on both the Mushkin and G.Skill DIMMs I have.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    The box is empty on both the Mushkin and G.Skill DIMMs I have.
    Thanks for looking. Can't share what isn't there.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

Heat

I can't post a new thread. I really do not know why. But I bought this kit because it was half price for a limited time. I thought I could try my chance for the overclockability.

The corsair ddr3 ic is rev 3.24 which corresponds to micron. This is a cmz16gx3m2a1600c10 corsair vengeance 1600 cl10 2x8gb kit. anyone has an idea how far can i push this?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by tworule; 05-24-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Since these sticks are using Micron, perhaps take a look at these two thread for some info on overclocking newer Micron stuff.

These are for the regular sized PCB. There's stuff there towards the end on the 2x8GB kits:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...1.5V-DDR3-Kits

These are the low profile, lower voltage, but there may be something mixed in on the regular kits, as well.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/....err-Ballistix!

Also look for here...these GSkill Ares 2x8GB kits are using Micron chips so there should be some similarities:

http://aphnetworks.com/reviews/g_ski..._16gab_2x8gb/2

Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So far, the part about importing the modules directly from USA, didn't advance a single inch. What I did found, is that someone is currently selling the AMD modules locally, however, they're charging a hefty premium. Meanwhile, the GSkill Sniper modules price got LOWERED, and now are a considerable bargain. These are the current 5 best choices:

AMD Radeon Entertainment RE1600 AE316G1609U2K / 2 * 8 GB / 1600 MHz / 9-9-9-28 / 1.5V / 1340$ * 2
    AMD Radeon Performance RP1866 AP316G1869U2K / 2 * 8 GB / 1866 MHz / 9-10-9-27 / 1.5V / 1448$ * 2
    GSkill Sniper F3-1600C9D-16GSR / 2 * 8 GB / 1600 MHz / 9-9-9-24 2N / 1.5V / 981$ * 2
    GSkill Sniper F3-1866C9D-16GSR / 2 * 8 GB / 1866 MHz / 9-10-9-28 2N / 1.5V / 1060$ * 2
    GSkill TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX / 2 * 8 GB / 2400 MHz / 10-12-12-31 2N / 1.65V / 1470$ * 2

We're talking about a 36% price premium for the AMD 1866 MHz modules vs the GSkill Sniper one. I can actually get the GSkill TridentX for the price that the vendor with the AMD modules is selling them for, so I don't think they make sense at all.
    The only reason why I would even think about spending more for the AMD modules is JUST because The Stilt says that they're using the infamous Hyper MFR. But unless I can get a cheaper source for them (As they should be priced very similar to the GSkill Snipers), I don't know if it is even justified. Do anyone knows what ICs those models of Snipers and TridentX can use? Because if they're "good enough", maybe I could settle with the 1866 MHz GSkill Snipers CAS 9 and call it a day.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The GSkill Tridents X are most likely Samsung. At least the 2x4GB kits, which were single-sided and had those exact timings, were Samsung ICs. Odds are that the 2x8 modules are the same, except for being double sided. They clocked to around 2500-2600. Here is a review done on them...except that it is a quad kit, instead of a dual kit.

http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=articles&id=761

My guess is that this kit stands a pretty good chance of having the Hynix MFR

GSkill Sniper F3-1866C9D-16GSR / 2 * 8 GB / 1866 MHz / 9-10-9-28 2N / 1.5V / 1060$ * 2

I base that on the fact that my prior post had a link to an 1866 kit from GSkill with Micron chips and the timings on that kit was 10-11-10-31, as opposed to the 9-10-9-28. The AMD kit with MFR has 9-10-9-27 timings which is almost the same. This is of course nothing but an "educated" guess, but among your available choices, those are the ones that I would probably consider.

Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here is another review of those TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX. Confirmed Samsung K4B4G0846B. Most times where you have Single, Dual or Quad channel kits with modules with the same specifications, you have 99% chances that they're identical save the kit markings for "guaranteed compatibility". GSkill is extremely predictable on this. Example:

TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX (2 * 8 GB) http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=513 (Product 513)
    TridentX F3-2400C10Q-32GTX (4 * 8 GB) http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=514 (Product 514)

Basically, its the product that got released next, or actually, inmediatelly. No reason for it to be different.

About the Snipers, do you have source that they use Micron for 8 GB modules? If they do, then its very probable than the CAS 9 version is just a better binned version of it. Although the CAS 9 version got released some time later, so maybe it does uses different IC.

Sniper F3-1866C9D-16GSR (2 * 8 GB) http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=566 (Product 566)
    Sniper F3-1866C10D-16GSR (2 * 8 GB) http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=546 (Product 546)
    Sniper F3-1866C10Q-32GSR (4 * 8 GB) http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=547 (Product 547)

Mushkin is the other manufacturer that I found that follows a extremely predictable pattern, so you can draw some sort of timeline.

Also, remember that my target is the GSkill Sniper. The AMD Performance and GSkill TridentX means allocating too much budget on this, we're talking about around 36-40% more for no tangible difference unless I get a Richland.
    Last edited by zir_blazer; 05-24-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    About the Snipers, do you have source that they use Micron for 8 GB modules? If they do, then its very probable than the CAS 9 version is just a better binned version of it. Although the CAS 9 version got released some time later, so maybe it does uses different IC.
    In the post where I was responding to the other fella (my post #35) I linked to a GSkill review of a 2x8GB kit of the Ares Series, not Sniper Series. The reviewer pulled the spreaders and those Ares were using Micron chips and are the ones with the 10-11-10-31 timings. Since GSkill often just changes the spreaders on their ram and keeps everything else the same (such as the second Sniper, product 546 per above), I was postulating that the Snipers you listed in your post #36 were probably not Micron, but instead Hynix, as they had timings which were almost the same as the AMD kit reported to have MFR. However, since then I looked on Newegg's site and found an 8GB Crucial 1866 C9 stick with 9-9-9-27 timings (linked below), so now I'm not so sure and would have to say that it is possible that those Snipers are also Micron and not MFR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148562

Without seeing the actual modules to note the coding on the S/N, if will be very difficult to identify the ICs under the spreaders unless you are looking at the high-end, where you know only MFR is being used.

Heat

Since these sticks are using Micron, perhaps take a look at these two thread for some info on overclocking newer Micron stuff.

These are for the regular sized PCB. There's stuff there towards the end on the 2x8GB kits:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...1.5V-DDR3-Kits

These are the low profile, lower voltage, but there may be something mixed in on the regular kits, as well.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/....err-Ballistix!

Also look for here...these GSkill Ares 2x8GB kits are using Micron chips so there should be some similarities:

http://aphnetworks.com/reviews/g_ski..._16gab_2x8gb/2
    Thanks for the help..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Without seeing the actual modules to note the coding on the S/N, if will be very difficult to identify the ICs under the spreaders unless you are looking at the high-end, where you know only MFR is being used.
    Been googling the GSkill Sniper kit I posted earlier and didn't found a single worthy pic to have a guess of the brand of the IC used in that model according to the sticky IC Thread. Besides, I consider the TridentX "high end", yet they still use the Samsung ICs that seems to have minimal headroom compared to the Hynix MFR ones. I suppose that if the AMD Performance modules uses them considering that they're cheap, it is pretty much an oddity.

I'm planning on buying tomorrow. I would LOVE to have an idea of what ICs the GSkill Snipers 1866 MHz CAS 9 uses, but have had no luck. I could purchase the AMD Performance kit, but its ridiculous overpriced and I can't get it from any other source.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The vendor that has the GSkill Sniper Sniper F3-1866C9D-16GSR said me that the Serial Number first 8 numbers are 13022100. According to the SN Thread, x100 is Nanya eTT/uTT. eTT and uTT means Effectively Tested or Untested according this, and considering that it is a 1866 MHz kit, I suppose it should be tested, while the untested should be for their value line.

I don't know a lot about ICs properties, but considering that 8 GB modules are made out of 16 (Double Sided) 4 GBit ICs, and they must be from Nanya, it means that the possible ICs candidates should be...

(All of these links to the same PDF)
    X8 NT5CB512M8CN-DI/EK/FL (1600/1866/2133 MHz, 1.5V, 78-ball BGA)
    X16 NT5CB256M16CP-DI/EK/FL (1600/1866/2133 MHz, 1.5V, 96-ball BGA)
    X8 NT5CC512M8CN-DI/DIB (1600 MHz, 1.35V, 78-ball BGA)
    X16 NT5CC256M16CP-DI/DIB (1600 MHz, 1.35V, 96-ball BGA)

However, the Timmings for those doesn't match. GSkill says they are 9-10-9-28, while Nanya claims 13-13-13 for 1866 MHz. I suppose its possible that GSkill do some further binning to guarantee that.

Been googling around, can't find reviews or anyone mentioning them on forums and the like. I did found that some modules with these ICs were validated to be able to run 1600 MHz @ 1.5V on Richland. Anyone thinks they're worth the faith leap? Seriously. I want to take a decision. Today.
    Last edited by zir_blazer; 05-27-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nanya is not found at the top of the overclocking charts so if you get them do so with the notion that there isn't going to be much headroom, if any, above that 1866. And yes, I'm sure that GSkill binned them in order to be able to claim those 9-10-9-28 timings.

Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Newegg raised the price on the AMD Radeon Performance RP1866 AP316G1869U2K from 130 to 149 U$Ds. At this rate I will never buy anything.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zir_blazer View Post
    Nanya claims 13-13-13 for 1866 MHz.
    Shouldn't just 1866 CL13 be another industry standard (such as previous 1066 CL7, 1333 CL9, 1600 CL11 JDEC)? Probably Nanya won't test further than that on some of their ICs.
    Strix X470-F, 1.2.0.6b | 5800X3D + Galahad 360, 3xP28 | 4x8GB Flare X 3200C14 @3200C14 1T+GDM | Strix 2070S A8G @1830/1750 | SB Z | SN750 500GB, MX500 1TB, DT01 2TB | O11D XL: 6xNB PL-2 | RM750

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zir_blazer View Post
    Newegg raised the price on the AMD Radeon Performance RP1866 AP316G1869U2K from 130 to 149 U$Ds. At this rate I will never buy anything.
    I just followed your link and it shows it listed for $131 USD.

Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I just followed your link and it shows it listed for $131 USD.
    I swear by my mother that it did was at 149 U$D at that very moment. It was an spike that lasted 24 hours. Actually, that very same day, I found a vendor on eBay that had them at 134 U$Ds and did international shipping. Due to Newegg raising the price twice (From 115 to 130 and from 130 to 149), I ended up deciding to purchase them from that vendor (And after nearly a week they STILL didn't left USA). Two hours after doing that Newegg lowered the prices back to 132, like if they were trolling me on purpose.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Arrived in just 8 days from the date of purchased. Paid 268 U$D + 47 shipping for it, and some 60 U$Ds or so more on customs. And I just wanted to say...

Quote Originally Posted by AMDforME View Post
    You may want to check your owner's manual as the specs for the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO show that it only supports up to 16GB.
    O'RLY?

The first thing you will notice: Yes, its Windows XP. Yes, its 32 Bits. Yes, I am abusing PAE to make use of that huge chuck of RAM on a 32 Bits OS via a RAMDisk. And yes, scores are ridiculous low. So what? IT'S ALIVE!
    PAE demolishes performance, specially in IOPS (Just 15000), to let you access that RAM on 32 Bits. I should still need to check if I can use another RAMDisk utility, because the one I am using, Gavotte RAMDisk, has naturally very low 4K scores. However, this one is free, and can use PAE. Most others I saw either couldn't make use of PAE, or requiered a paid license to make a RAMDisk bigger than 4 GB.
    Don't worry, this will not last forever. After I sort my build issues to get a Motherboard with working IOMMU support, I will show what you can use this baby for.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I just finished 13 hours of Memtest86, where it did just two full passes. Testing 32 GB of RAM does takes a whole bunch of time.

I tried to run 1333 MHz 7-8-7-22 @ 1.35V, and while Windows was stable even for long periods, there are two modules that doesn't seem to be able to deal with it, as I had some data corruption on the RAMDisk plus errors on Memtest on a specific RAM range, above 20 GB. Testing it 7-8-8-23 didn't fixed it, neither, with the AIIX4 IMC set to 2 GHz @ 1.15V when I usually run it at 1.05V. So I had to go for 8-8-8-24, however, it looks rock solid now, even with the IMC at 1.05V.
    I still had issues with a game, but I figured out the issue was reproducible on the HD install. Looks like the repair utility of that game doesn't have a checksum list up-to-date, so restores an older version of some files than the launcher upgrades. At first it indeed was due some minor data corruption, but there were a fixed set of files that were reported as damaged even from the Hard Disk install. Opening the repair utility after the launcher will say the files are damaged and restore it to an older version, while opening the launcher after the repairer will re-download the latest version, and so goes the loop.

To be honest, while I am happy that I could do an international order and they arrived in working order with no issues, at this moment I'm questiong myself if the Samsung ones would have been better. While Hynix MFR as epic scaling with more Voltage, the Samsung K4B4G0846B does better on 1.35V, that is what I'm using them at. I didn't paid attention to that earlier. Maybe this will drastically change after I get a new platform and would want to run them at 1866 MHz or beyond, but for conservative Voltages, the Frequencies and Timmings are better on the Samsung one.
    Still, I paid a bit less for the AMD kit that what I was able to get the GSkill TridentX for.
    Last edited by zir_blazer; 06-18-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12