Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Concedes Windows 8 Misses Expectations: Wall Street Journal

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA View Post
    To me Win8 is the best windows ever in several aspects.
    And, when it was selling for $39.95 i've got 3 licenses for my home computers. Only first one was bought because I needed to see how my programs act on new OS, others were bought due to price and various advantages and speed.
    Though, the biggest drawback so far is simplified one click wifi connectivity: it works very well, but does not provide simple things like to see what channel it is, or encryption type. Sometimes I think it is bad influence of Apple approach...
    Plus try changing your connection type from Public to Private... what a pain in the ass..
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast

Another saying

If you know the saying;

"No one ever got fired for buying IBM".

you can add

"Never buy a M$ OS before SP1 is issued".
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    Plus try changing your connection type from Public to Private... what a pain in the ass..
    Right
    When I did not know how to get around, I was puzzled too
    It turned out to be easiest thing there - left-click on wifi icon on taskbar to see all wifi networks, then right-click on your current connection. You'll get new menu. Select turn sharing on and off. That option switches network type, it is explained right there.
    Windows 8.1
    Asus M4A87TD EVO + Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3900MHz + HD3850
    APUs

Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    If you know the saying;

you can add

Not entirely fair, 7 was fine before SP1.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Right
    When I did not know how to get around, I was puzzled too
    It turned out to be easiest thing there - left-click on wifi icon on taskbar to see all wifi networks, then right-click on your current connection. You'll get new menu. Select turn sharing on and off. That option switches network type, it is explained right there.
    Yes eventually I worked that out but the fact is, when I use portable hotspot from my ipad, that option will sometimes not be present! That's what bugs me the most.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Not entirely fair, 7 was fine before SP1.
    Win 7 can be essentially named Vista SP2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    If you know the saying;

you can add

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    these are my exactly my thoughts except win8. it is absolutely not a win but i didn't use win8 that long to determine is it a fail or not.
    I used W8 quite a bit, it's a huge fail. Without the Start menu everything is a huge pain in the arse to do. Even people with touchscreen laptops have complained how awkward W8 is to use without the Start button lol. I've also had to install startshell in so many customers laptops/PCs (a good half of which have had a touchscreen device) because the owners are so pissed off of how awkward things are without the Start button it's not even funny. The sooner the start menu is back for everybody the better really.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Administrator
    The sooner they give us a real start button the better. Not that stupid one I saw where its simply what you get on the right hand side of the screen but comes up under a start button.

We want what Start8 or what others provide.

This is what I was talking about. It has FAIL written all over it.
    http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-t...-8-start-menu/
    Last edited by Buckeye; 05-14-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Wow that's great, that is a fail.
    They're using metro.

They don't ever learn do they?
    Linux is trampling them it seems these days, we just need to get working on that os to make it great.
    Hmm.

It's funny because I swore I wrote some time ago that I thought win8 might end up being the last ms os I ever use and it seems I was wrong, 'cause I'm still on 7 and I don't think I will end up going to 8 any time soon.
    I could always use win8 cp, but it's buggy, I remove to much out of it and wallpapers stop working.
    That and it's a wee bit slower in aida64's mem bandwidth, 1000-2000 or maybe 3000 megs I can't remember now.
    Ohwell, see you laters ms, I'll be glad to see you go too btw lol.

Oh and one more thing, the comment about no one being fired for buying ibm.
    I think that's funny because the last ibm I bought, was an acer board with an ibm bios, I even flashed an acer bios to it and got a few more options out of it.
    Horrible system, it was a super socket 7, k6-2 350.
    Never bought an ibm system since.
    Used to think they were the best though back in the day, but back then they didn't use acre boards either.

Edit:
    Oops forgot about ibm's laptop's.
    Those are ok.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 05-14-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Why must we search for apps? What if I don't remember the frigging app name but I simply know the path (like most people do automatically with the start menu)...

Having to search for apps to launch them is just adding one more step to do before you get to where you want to be.

Not even Google's OS makes so much use of a search function. This "solution" will fail very quickly also.

PS: share button... I want my PC to work for me, not for others on my Facebook!
    Last edited by Dimitriman; 05-14-2013 at 07:42 AM.
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz

Xtreme Member
    Yes eventually I worked that out but the fact is, when I use portable hotspot from my ipad, that option will sometimes not be present! That's what bugs me the most.
    To me it always happens when wifi access point not secure. Probably in your case it is something with security.
    When I used tethering from my Samsung phone, I defined security as my home AP, and I've got that menu and proper sharing type (home network).
    And just tested again.
    Windows 8.1
    APUs

Xtreme Member
    Why must we search for apps? What if I don't remember the frigging app name but I simply know the path (like most people do automatically with the start menu)...

Having to search for apps to launch them is just adding one more step to do before you get to where you want to be.
    You never need to search for apps here. Just shape them size you like, put them on first screen at the place you like, and you will remember place as you remember "path". Remove unneeded tiles. It is exactly like a desktop full of shortcuts and folders.
    You can put as many tiles on "first screen" as you need. "First screen" will be scrollable when you put, say, 100 your favorite programs (depends on monitor).
    Also, you have "All apps" screen, which is has same meaning like folders and items in old style menu - structured by program names and other groups.

And there are things, never known for old style menu. Actually, here is a list, look just for tiles customization:
    http://www.computerhope.com/tips/tip200.htm
    Last edited by SEA; 05-14-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    Windows 8.1
    APUs

Xtreme Addict
    Good thing 8.1 will be free (would be an outrage if they charged for it).

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    You never need to search for apps here. Just shape them size you like, put them on first screen at the place you like, and you will remember place as you remember "path". Remove unneeded tiles. It is exactly like a desktop full of shortcuts and folders.
    You can put as many tiles on "first screen" as you need. "First screen" will be scrollable when you put, say, 100 your favorite programs (depends on monitor).
    Also, you have "All apps" screen, which is has same meaning like folders and items in old style menu - structured by program names and other groups.

And there are things, never known for old style menu. Actually, here is a list, look just for tiles customization:
    http://www.computerhope.com/tips/tip200.htm
    Thanks for both helpful comments
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

I dont know if you noticed but that article is from 2 years ago, before windows 8 dropped. Thats not what we're getting in 8.1
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Good thing 8.1 will be free (would be an outrage if they charged for it).

-PB
    I thought MS were changing to the apple way of doing things by charging ~ 20 bucks for a new release which is nothing more than a service pack ??
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

Dear lord that is atrocious... Classic Shell anyone?

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Dear lord that is atrocious... Classic Shell anyone?
    I looked at big picture there, here is mine (standard win8):
    Ooops... I prepared image, features shown there are in standard windows explored excluding disk available space in status bar.
    But I cannot upload it, I cropped it, reduced size below 50kb, resized below 500 pixels each side, tried jpg and gif - no luck: "This is not a valid image file".
    P.S. All 4 browsers - E, G, F, O. Do I need a special account? No word in forum FAQ either...

Nevertheless, Standard explorer gives something they miss: I can use "breadcrumbs" or plain text. U use both, as they provide quick access to man places, just click on proper triangle.
    Windows 8.1
    APUs

Erm.. I'm going to guess English isn't your native language as a lot of that doesn't make much sense to me. Only bit I really got is that you are having issues uploading a picture, I'm going to guess you tried uploading via the XS server, thats been broken almost forever now you'll have to upload images using something like photobucket and insert the image into your post.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Erm.. I'm going to guess English isn't your native language as a lot of that doesn't make much sense to me. Only bit I really got is that you are having issues uploading a picture, I'm going to guess you tried uploading via the XS server, thats been broken almost forever now you'll have to upload images using something like photobucket and insert the image into your post.
    Sorry.
    Ok, I'm trying to guess in what part of message causes troubles to understand...
    Actually, You probably did not take a chance to look at link suggested..
    Windows 8.1
    APUs

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    AS long as Microsoft continues to ignore the word "intuitive" they will continue to have issues like this.
    My one and only dealing with Win8 was when I went to fix a customers "new" machine.
    It took me 10 minutes to get to "My Computer" and by that point I was ready to get up and walk away but she's been a customer of mine for over 10 years.
    Don't they have anyone that has some plain old fashioned common sense working for them?
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Don't they have anyone that has some plain old fashioned common sense working for them?

If you need to ask....

But I have to agree entirely with your post and it's not just Microsoft, it seems like everytime a company announces a more "intuitive" interface it releases an illogical, sloppy mess instead. I don't know if it's because they're all that clueless or what.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    If you need to ask....

But I have to agree entirely with your post and it's not just Microsoft, it seems like everytime a company announces a more "intuitive" interface it releases an illogical, sloppy mess instead. I don't know if it's because they're all that clueless or what.
    I think what they need is to have a group of people wjo look at the OS and then actually listen to the feedback..they aren't now and that is the problem
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    AS long as Microsoft continues to ignore the word "intuitive" they will continue to have issues like this.
    My one and only dealing with Win8 was when I went to fix a customers "new" machine.
    It took me 10 minutes to get to "My Computer" and by that point I was ready to get up and walk away but she's been a customer of mine for over 10 years.
    They used to have intuition in them. Office 2007 (and 2010) for example. I don't know the hate against ribbon interface but it helps me a lot in using the more advanced features of Office, especially the Styles(easy access to changing how your font looks like etc), the table of contents etc. Then again you also has the BS that is called Visio 2010, which is basically Visio with ribbon interface, except ALL of the intuition was removed.

Now then, Office 2013 is another story altogether. They threw intuition out of the window, made us use more clicks, has annoying CAPITAL LETTERS EVERYWHERE, and god, blindingly white EVERYWHERE. Microsoft is losing their talents on this end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast