Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devs crack&upload their own game, with a surprise. Epic LOL and some food for thought

Xtreme Member
    This a clever marketing ploy to make people sympathetic to them, and make money from it. Long before movies and music were "pirated", games were. And now gaming industry have take over music and movies industries... facts are facts, and after this fact, there isn't on reasonable argument or any proof whatsoever to how piracy hurts. Piracy it's free advertisement and free addiction tool. Basically what we got here is an industry that benefit tremendously from piracy and now are greedily looking at the piracy numbers, and idiotically thinking that every download is a lost sale, like every person that downloaded would buy the game otherwise, and like everyone that downloaded won't be buying the game if they like it.

Seriously they made a game about making games, and in a "cracked" version players run out of money because of piracy... so innocent.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokester_wild View Post
    Game creator makes a terrible game then releases it on torrent sites as a broken game. Then complains that people aren't buying. Am I following this correctly ?
    yes thats pretty much the essence... its quite laughable, this "game" is port from the android game which is essentially a port from a 16 year old PC game that free.

Even the 6.7% who bought it was way more then what they deserved.

And whats even more funny, not even 30minutes after they uploaded they "fake", people already cracked it and people where downloading the fully working version.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 05-08-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    I know the system isn't invulnerable, but nothing is and it would certainly be more beneficial to people than whats currently in place. I actively avoid buying games now because of DRM.
    Yeah, thats a bs excuse. I can't think of the last game that I bought where I was bothered by the DRM. I think that it was Crysis 2.

Obviously I didn't go and buy Sim City or anything with Ubi's always on garbage.

No matter what developers do you'll be looking for an excuse to justify piracy. That really is the bane of pc gaming whether you want to admit it or not. Every pc developer has made some staggering claims about piracy figures on the pc. I posted a recent quote from a Bohemia interactive dev in this thread. I've seen Cd project and Croteam make similar claims.

There are tons of DRM free games on the torrent sites getting pirated to . I highly doubt that a game being drm free reduces piracy one iota.

Quote Originally Posted by Piledriver View Post
    This a clever marketing ploy to make people sympathetic to them, and make money from it. Long before movies and music were "pirated", games were. And now gaming industry have take over music and movies industries... facts are facts, and after this fact, there isn't on reasonable argument or any proof whatsoever to how piracy hurts. Piracy it's free advertisement and free addiction tool. Basically what we got here is an industry that benefit tremendously from piracy and now are greedily looking at the piracy numbers, and idiotically thinking that every download is a lost sale, like every person that downloaded would buy the game otherwise, and like everyone that downloaded won't be buying the game if they like it.

That is one of the most retarded arguments that I've ever seen on any forum.

Yeah, piracy is good for pc gaming, sure. That must be a big part of the reason that we see so many single player exclusives on the pc these days.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 05-08-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokester_wild View Post
    Game creator makes a terrible game then releases it on torrent sites as a broken game. Then complains that people aren't buying. Am I following this correctly ?
    Indeed I think you are. Appears to be an exercise in circular logic and proving the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    Yeah, thats a bs excuse. I can't think of the last game that I bought where I was bothered by the DRM. I think that it was Crysis 2.

Obviously I didn't go and buy Sim City or anything with Ubi's always on garbage.

No matter what developers do you'll be looking for an excuse to justify piracy. That really is the bane of pc gaming whether you want to admit it or not. Every pc developer has made some staggering claims about piracy figures on the pc. I posted a recent quote from a Bohemia interactive dev in this thread. I've seen Cd project and Croteam make similar claims.

There are tons of DRM free games on the torrent sites getting pirated to . I highly doubt that a game being drm free reduces piracy one iota.

Yeah, piracy is good for pc gaming, sure. That must be a big part of the reason that we see so many single player exclusives on the pc these days.

So there you're already admitting that you avoid games because of DRM 1 line after claiming it doesn't bother you. I torrent every game to try it out before buying it if I like it, you know why? Because 80% of them are overhyped, overpriced . If I had no means of trying out said games I would spend my game money going to the movies or buying books simple as that. But have fun yelling from your moralistic soapbox about how the poor multinational, tax evading corporations are suffering from piracy.

Don't spend money/time on "prevention", spend it rather on the game itself. Make a good game. Don't rely on the name/franchise. Price it reasonably. It will sell and you'll make more money than you are making currently. This is my message to developers.

I have bought all the games I liked playing, never spent more than 20EUR on a game. What's more, I have bought a few games that I never played (lack of time for it). Just because they were priced well.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    So there you're already admitting that you avoid games because of DRM 1 line after claiming it doesn't bother you. I torrent every game to try it out before buying it if I like it, you know why? Because 80% of them are overhyped, overpriced . If I had no means of trying out said games I would spend my game money going to the movies or buying books simple as that. But have fun yelling from your moralistic soapbox about how the poor multinational, tax evading corporations are suffering from piracy.
    Yeah, Croteam is a "multinational, tax evading corporation". As is cdproject and Bohemia interactive. Yup keep looking for excuses to justify your piracy.

How many of those games that you finish at launch that you've pirated do you actually buy? Yeah of course when you can play whatever you want for free the games perceived value is going to be low.

Did you read what I quoted and my response? Read it again, that might help you comprehend my point. I'm not bothered by most forms of DRM.

If I had no means of trying out said games I would spend my game money going to the movies or buying books simple as that.
    Thats bs and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Don't spend money/time on "prevention", spend it rather on the game itself. Make a good game. Don't rely on the name/franchise. Price it reasonably. It will sell and you'll make more money than you are making currently. This is my message to developers.
    Why so they can maybe get that 20euro out of you. You know damn well that you pay far less for most games that you pirate at launch.

I have bought all the games I liked playing, never spent more than 20EUR on a game. What's more, I have bought a few games that I never played (lack of time for it). Just because they were priced well.
    That makes you feel better about pirating games at launch? Yeah, then you wait for a huge price cut and that makes you a loyal paying customer.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 05-08-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Back when I was a kid, and those insane amounts of money that they wanted for a game were more than a year's worth of pocket money - yes I "pirated" a few titles. I bought them since. At least the ones you could buy years later.

That makes you feel better about pirating games at launch? Yeah, then you wait for a huge price cut and that makes you a loyal paying customer.
    No, it does not make me feel better! I do not have the time, nor the "need" to play the latest and "greatest". I buy the game 6-10 months after the release, when it costs what it should at the launch. And, if I have the time, I play it.

You obviously didn't catch what I wanted to say. I am not excusing piracy. I am stating, that if things cost what they should, there would be much less piracy. Also, you are probably not aware of the fact that the MAJORITY of humans does not make as much money as you are (judging by your attitude). For some, having meal on the table and a place to live is MUCH more important to pay for, then for a game. What's more, that game is supposed to make them forget about the misery they live in, not to make it worse. Think about this for a moment. Don't expect people who make 300EUR a month, or even less, to pay 60+ for a piece of shi*t in some cases.
    Last edited by Zoran; 05-09-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I think some are missing the irony here. It is not that a game was released in addition to the developer leaking a faulty crack. That is NOT the irony.

The irony is that the game itself was about making money as a game designer, and that those who got the crack complained about not making money in the game because of people cracking it, something that wouldn't have happened if they had bought the game in the first place.

On a personal note I hope nobody who uses cracks is in favour of capitalism because that would be one heck of an ironic hypocrisy.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Enthusiast

Thats bs and you know it.

No it isn't but you clearly have a crystal ball and know better than everyone, so keep making strawmans you noble keyboard warrior! I'm sure game companies will shower you with thanks for your unwavering crusading on their behalf.

Xtreme Member
    Absolutely hilarious.

yes thats pretty much the essence... its quite laughable, this "game" is port from the android game which is essentially a port from a 16 year old PC game that free.
    Huh? which android game? Is it really a port or is it a rehash?

Also are you talking about Rollercoaster Tycoon for the 16 year old game?
    Last edited by Craftyman.; 05-08-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
    Memory: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX @ 1600Mhz
    Graphics: Sapphire 6950 Toxic on BenQ XL2420TE
    Board: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    Power: Corsair AX850W (70A)

HEATware
    Currently playing: Planetside 2, Dead Space 3, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Xtreme Member

Games were "plagued" with piracy long before movies and music, and now gaming industry is the n?1 entertainment industry. Yes piracy clearly hurt them.
    I guess you think games become this big, thanks to INEXISTENT prime time tv commercials and the INEXISTENT media coverage, while movies and music had them ad-nausea.

It's hilarious that you point out the lack of pc exclusive games as a proof of how damaging piracy is, after calling someone else retarded. I think you couldn't have said something more dumb even if you tried. It's like saying that windows 8 not being pc exclusive is proof how damaging piracy is.

You must be one of those idiots that have the ridiculous notions that every download is a lost sale, and that is upset when entertainment corporations cry about retail sales falling 30%, and forget to mention digital sales growing 60%.

Know a band called Metallica? Know how they were selling out arenas and reaching platinum sales with ZERO media coverage? Yep that's right piracy. Then they become millionaires, then they become greedy, then they sued naspter.

Bababooey says "Poor Metallica"
    Last edited by Piledriver; 05-09-2013 at 11:43 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftyman. View Post
    Absolutely hilarious.

Huh? which android game? Is it really a port or is it a rehash?

Also are you talking about Rollercoaster Tycoon for the 16 year old game?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Dev_Story

the original was released in 1997 and ported to android in 2010 (by the same company)

Xtreme Member
    http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_..._1973-2011.png
    http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_...7-2008_NPD.png

Not that studies were needed, common sense were more than enough:
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...t-buyers.shtml

You gotta love the snobs that bought a couple or originals and then go on tirades against file sharing, because they think it's for poor people.

Xtreme Addict
    Piracy is terrible, especially with games like CoD still making hundreds of millions of dollars.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Were games priced reasonably, there would be much less piracy. Honestly, I have no problem paying <15EUR for a game (for the WHOLE game, not 15 for the first half and then 15 per every DLC that unlocks another 25% of the game). BUT, only if it is any good. Even if I made insane amounts of money would I NEVER pay 60+EUR.
    I agree.

60+EUR, 0 on the internet, faster download, without stupid secure systems that don't allow you to play without a dvdrom or anything else. The guys are impacted are only the guys that payed ... that's crazy no ?

And most of the 60+Eur games are real crap that value under 5. Like most of EA's.

I think some guys pay for the content they like. There is games that are sold 50EUR and don't suffer of piracy. Why ? Because it's good work, real work and not just a too fast done game by people that don't really like gaming. Maybe the futur it's gonna be pay for what you like, and if you want a next game from this studio.

Maybe a lot of actors will not accept, but piracy will not close the dors soon. I would say follow or die. Good stuff or bye.

Xtreme Addict
    Prior to reading this thread I had no idea that particular game existed in the first place, so I couldn't even have pirated, much less bought it.

However I'm still not going to pirate or buy it, it simply doesn't grab my interest enough to bother with it.

*waits for police to knock down door for lack of interest being stealing*
    Last edited by naokaji; 05-10-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Piracy hurts the gaming industry, probably also contributing to the decline of PC games development.
    Excuses like the games aren't worth that, I need to try before buy, the developers didn't spend enough time on it,...etc. These are just excuses, who are YOU to determine the price of a product and whether or not it is worth what is being asked for it? What gives YOU the right to play the game at launch without paying a cent? NOTHING. Everyone who pirates is contributing to fewer titles being developed for the PC. If you do not like a game, do not buy it. Simple, but don't come with the BS excuse of "I pirated it at launch, beat it, it was crap so I won't pay for it". Fact is, you are getting free entertainment which the devs and publishers invested a lot of money in.
    The same applies to those dumb@sses who think it is somehow better to pirate at launch, beat the game, and then purchase the full game a year later on a steam sale. Either you wait for the reduced price, or you pay full price, quite simple.

It's this self entitlement of pirates which pisses me off the most. You have no idea how long/ how expensive game development actually is, without even considering publishing costs. Of course the companies want to make money, and obviously CoD etc derivates sell well so that is what they will make. That is still no reason to pirate.

/End rant.
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

Xtreme Addict
    You guys don't even realize what pirating means...
    Its means to sell something you don't own.

Crap like steam causes this in the 1st place.
    Steam = pile of crap lol.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Piledriver View Post
    Games were "plagued" with piracy long before movies and music, and now gaming industry is the n?1 entertainment industry. Yes piracy clearly hurt them.
    Yeah, its really helping pc gaming. There have been so many AAA exclusives since high speed internet took off. I'm sure there is no coincidence.

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    You guys don't even realize what pirating means...
    Its means to sell something you don't own.

Crap like steam causes this in the 1st place.
    Steam = pile of crap lol.
    We have opposing views, I think Steam is one of the best things to have happened to the PC gaming industry and is the top reason I no longer pirate games. The need to have the disc in the drive to play a game meant I would rather pirate. I now have just under 200 games on my Steam account
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, its really helping pc gaming. There have been so many AAA exclusives since high speed internet took off. I'm sure there is no coincidence.
    If HP And Dell made games i'm sure there would be more.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    We have opposing views, I think Steam is one of the best things to have happened to the PC gaming industry and is the top reason I no longer pirate games. The need to have the disc in the drive to play a game meant I would rather pirate. I now have just under 200 games on my Steam account
    Yeap...
    I'm just poking fun at steam (steaming poo lol...).
    I just don't like it personally.
    I prefer something tangible.
    While you can still buy actual disks of the games at the stores, you are required to install steam, and have it running?
    To be honest, I can't even install steam, to many os tweaks and I don't really feel like tracking down what happened lol.
    I wouldn't want it running though, I'm a minimalist when it comes to bg tasks.
    I just remember one game wanted to install steam and when it failed during setup to do so it would fail the entier installer.
    Happens when they try .net too, I don't have .net either.

I agree though with the disk in the drive statement.
    I didn't like it either.
    I always got the cracks so I wouldn't have wear out my drive.
    Plus some of those protections were known to be pretty nasty.

Steam is the same way.
    I always find a crack for game, and then the dll to put in the game's dir to bypass steam.
    Sometimes the crack makers don't think about the people that don't have steam installed though.
    I did realize though that some games you can take a dll from and put it in another game and have run, like dead island riptide for example.
    The steam dll's for that, you can use the the steam bypass dll's from the original dead island.
    But you can't save, thanks goodness they actually made one for riptide.
    Unfortunately it means disabled everything possible for online int he game, and it'll crash if you have facebook updates enabled still, that was my final crash prob with that game, facebook updates.

Kinda of a crappy situation because when I can't find those dll's for a game, even if it has a crack, it means I can't run the game.
    And once in a great while, the game won't even install lol.
    It happens.

I remember gta4, omg that was a pain.
    At the time I used win2k3 instead of xp.
    It won't install on 2k3.
    Then on xp, it took forever to install, then it needed .net and that rockstar gaming whatever it was.
    It won't even install on win7 either.
    So I have to install xp, install the game, goto win7, update it, crack it (rockstar released the crack themselves...), then throw in xliveless.
    Oui it was a pain.
    What was funny even after all that, originally it still crashed on me.
    I found out it needed sse2 or something like that, and my athlon didn't have it.
    I had to update my entire system, what sucked is I went and bought a gainward golden sample 6800gt brand new from ebay/canada in anticipation for that game.
    That was kinda of a waste, still have the card to this day lol .
    I still got the game somewhere though, pretty sure it had a map in it too.
    I can't wait for gta5, supposedly coming out this year, could be years though before it hits the pc though .
    I'll buy that game as soon as it comes out on the pc.
    And I'll be cracking it most likely, sad world we live in lol (no online mode for me but I don't care about that lol).

I got way off topic .

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    I remember gta4, omg that was a pain.
    At the time I used win2k3 instead of xp.
    It won't install on 2k3.
    Then on xp, it took forever to install, then it needed .net and that rockstar gaming whatever it was.
    It won't even install on win7 either.
    I bought GTA4 in a steam sale, GFWL acted up so badly I never got to play it...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    I bought GTA4 in a steam sale, GFWL acted up so badly I never got to play it...
    my fallout3 disk copy worked so badly with GFWL that i had to rebuy the game. for some reason GFWL didnt like my cd key a year later.
    so even tangible copies of games go bad. and its all due to DRM, i think GOG is doing it right.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast