Thread: AMD to launch Volcanic Islands GPU (HD8000s) in 2013

Threaded View

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    So either one of AMD's premier product managers and pretty much their entire international product team told us the wrong info (which I highly doubt) or there's some viral marketing going on in an effort to blunt NVIDIA's upcoming launches.

Take your pick but I'm certainly not going to hold off on any purchases based on a rumor that runs contrary to everything AMD has been saying for the past five months.
    Or they changed their plans. Or perhaps both are correct and there's going to be a paper launch near the end of the year similar to how Tahiti launched.

I certainly wouldn't call the Rage3D thing a rumor. If Jim Keller and Chekib Akrout told you that AMD was going to do something and you wrote it up, but other tech editors were skeptical and called your piece a "rumor" I'm sure you'd get yourself into quite the tizzy.

It's distantly possible someone misheard something, but when two pieces of authoritative but seemingly contradictory information appear to contradict one another in this field, the safe bet is to go with the most recent one. In this case, for me at least, at evens out as the older piece information does seem more wide spread, well known, and authoritative. That being said, it's entirely possible AMD's early 20nm parts came back from TSMC a lot better than expected and the schedule was moved up. Hell, you have contacts with AMD -- why don't you just ask them and figure it out for all of us one way or the other?
    Last edited by hurleybird; 05-20-2013 at 03:26 PM.