Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD to launch Volcanic Islands GPU (HD8000s) in 2013

Xtreme Member

AMD to launch Volcanic Islands GPU (HD8000s) in 2013

Finally...

http://wccftech.com/amd-reportedly-l...ies-gpus-2013/
    AMD Reportedly Launching Volcanic Islands GPUs in 2013

Last year, a report revealed that AMD?s Volcanic Islands series would be the first to make use of a 20nm process and would arrive sometime in 2014. However, in a recent interview with AMD?s Jim Keller and Chekib Akrout, Rage3d has revealed that the Volcanic Islands GPUs would launch in 2013.
    AMD 20nm Volcanic Islands GPUs in 2013?

?The next generation of graphics cards ? Volcanic Islands ? is coming this year and shaping up nicely. When you name products after places, it leads to interesting thoughts about where to hold events surrounding that namesake product. Typically places that are cheap to get travel to internationally for a worldwide congregation are preferred, so I?m off to renew my passport on the off chance I?m headed to Reykjavik later this summer. But I sure as hell wouldn?t complain about being sent to Honolulu, either.? Rage3D

This could be huge news if true for AMD fans and could possibly provide a hint at the late launch of the much anticipated Radeon HD 8000 series GPUs. It was hinted by various techsites that the launch wasn?t planned to be late but it was delayed instead. The new VI (Volcanic Islands) GPU?s would be manufactured on a 20nm Gate-Last process through either TSMC or Common Platform Alliance.

Update: While this news is not confirmed by AMD yet, Sweclockers reports that Volcanic Islands could be coming in the last quarter and feature the Hawaii Core that replaces Tahiti. The Volcanic Islands architecture although not confirmed could stick to 28nm.
    Maybe they'll just do paper launch in Q4 2013...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by vitchilo View Post
    Maybe they'll just do paper launch in Q4 2013...
    Nope.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    In other news, anyone got any believed specifications?

Performances probably between 7970 and a 7990? Something faster than a 7990 maybe?

And if they really launch Volcanic islands at the end of the year... will they launch sea islands this summer or just skip it?
    Last edited by vitchilo; 05-06-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    In other news, anyone got any believed specifications?
    ~40CUs

Performances probably between 7970 and a 7990? Something faster than a 7990 maybe?
    What else would be expected?

And if they really launch Volcanic islands at the end of the year... will they launch sea islands this summer or just skip it?
    Did you miss all the fun in the second half of Q1 when people were completely misinterpreting AMD's roadmap and comments?
    "Sea Islands" is a power optimized tweak to their 7000 series, focused on the mobile market with some chips going to the OEM desktop market.
    They are in mass production so they won't be "skipping it."
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Nope.
    Oh. Since you say it won't be a paper launch, it must be true.

In any case this is good news for everybody but NVIDIA, hope they make it sooner than later.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

so, if i buy a new card then we will get an announcement of a long overdue card.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Oh. Since you say it won't be a paper launch, it must be true.

In any case this is good news for everybody but NVIDIA, hope they make it sooner than later.
    if it is a die shrink then they should be out about the same time.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 05-06-2013 at 05:32 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't think 20nm is ready, at least not economically ready for mass production of 300+ mm2 GPUs. Of course TMSC says good things about 20nm, but what else are they supposed to say? I could imagine at least one IHV will do an intermittent 28nm series. New architecture but same process node.

Xtreme Member
    Now this is more like it. Not interested in a dual GPU card until they sort out the stuttering. But a single GPU is good news. After they sort it out, I may even grab a second. Can't come fast enough IMO.

Xtreme Member
    We've been on 28nm since late 2011, early 2012... time for 20nm already.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    I don't think 20nm is ready, at least not economically ready for mass production of 300+ mm2 GPUs. Of course TMSC says good things about 20nm, but what else are they supposed to say? I could imagine at least one IHV will do an intermittent 28nm series. New architecture but same process node.
    I dont know for 20nm, could be good for the end of the year... But logically, if Maxwell is coming in the end of Q1-Q2 2014 on market with 20nm. mass production should be ready at least around start of 2014. The same situation of 28nm where AMD was starting on the end of the year, nvidia was coming a bit after them with kepler.

I dont see AMD releasing a 28nm productions if Nvidia is coming some months after in 20nm. ( and vice versa ) ( Could end terribly bad for AMD, or we know if Nvidia use 20nm, AMD too. ( AMD is in general first with new process . )
    But maybe they plan release VI first on 28nm, then replace high end parts with 20nm ( die shrink the initial VI ).. ( Pure supposition, nothing for back it up ).
    Last edited by Lanek; 05-06-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Member
    Maybe the lower models in 28nm and mid-high end in 20nm...

Really hope AMD will release their new generation this year, because they need a killer card to compete with NVIDIA. Yes, they release the 7990 recently, which is one year late, but I would prefer to see them release a single GPU card that can match Titan's performance or even faster, and 20nm would be nice as well.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    Really hope AMD will release their new generation this year, because they need a killer card to compete with NVIDIA. Yes, they release the 7990 recently, which is one year late, but I would prefer to see them release a single GPU card that can match Titan's performance or even faster, and 20nm would be nice as well.
    amd releases a single gpu card better then titan with 1000usd price tag and then... we will see all new brand top cards with 1000 usd. also i don't think what amd need is a card like titan. if they can make the best card of 670 - 680, 7950 - 7970 segment they will dominate the market. imo of course.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Member
    Who cares about 1000usd cards? Nobody buys them.

Give us another good card with a decent price like the 7950/7970.

Xtreme Addict

Seen how many Titans are out there?...

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtremeish
    Tried to find a source on Titan sales that would aid the discussion, but steam survey for example is completely void of them. Anyone got any solid numbers?

As for the Steam survey though, the x60 and x50 series cards from Nvidia represent a very large portion of the graphic cards end users buy. They do represent great value as well.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Mentor
    if i am amd then i will begin to advertise my new magnificent bundle before nvidia's release of new cards and release my cards 2 months after that.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddMuppet View Post
    Now this is more like it. Not interested in a dual GPU card until they sort out the stuttering. But a single GPU is good news. After they sort it out, I may even grab a second. Can't come fast enough IMO.
    I don't know how many will be interested in dual 28nm 1.5 year old chips even after they sort out the drivers, especially at $1000.. (same if NVIDIA released a $900 GTX689 that was two 670s)

Hard to get very revved up over year and a half old chips, especially at new high end prices.

The market wants the 8970s, not Christmas 2011 chips. (7970s paper launched around Christmas 2011)
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Enthusiast

Every forum I've stopped by lately has people on it talking about their Titans. What surprises me is how many people are buying two at that price. I suppose in the world of hobbies it's not hard to spend $2K, so I should not be.
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Addict
    Great news then maybe they will have good drivers for it in 2015

Xtreme Mentor
    Every forum I've stopped by lately has people on it talking about their Titans. What surprises me is how many people are buying two at that price. I suppose in the world of hobbies it's not hard to spend $2K, so I should not be.
    Just remember the forums we most likely browse are computer/gadget/technology centred so will be more likely for us to see them in the wild than average joe (=
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Member
    What difference does it make when AMD will launch 20nm GPUs ? They would be so scarce and overpriced till Nvidia has a better counteroffer with mass availability which will take further 3-6 months. So its mid 2014 at the earliest when we will have the real next-gen playing field.
    I have always felt AMD GPUs look better when put in context with costlier Nvidia cards
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

Xtreme Addict
    That's why people buy cards like that in the first place - to go on forums and brag about their overpriced hardware.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Whether these cards really launch or not doesnt matter much. This news is in response to Nvidia's 700 series trying to get customers away. All AMD has to do is say right now is that the timetable has been moved up, which will keep a few people from buying a new Nvidia card. Then AMD can either stick to their new timetable or can come back in 2-3 months from now and say "well we have some setbacks so now it is back to 2014 again". people will be dissapointed if that happens for sure, but AMD will have achieved the primary goal they were going for, to keep some people from buying the new Nvidia cards.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Member
    http://wccftech.com/rumoramd-volcani...am-processors/
    [RUMOR]AMD Volcanic Islands 20nm “Hawaii” GPU Architecture Leaked – 512-Bit Memory, 4096 Stream Processors

AMD 20nm Volcanic Islands “Hawaii” Architecture Leaked?

The architecture in question is from the flagship 20nm Volcanic Islands chip “Hawaii” featuring 4096 stream processors. That’s almost double to what we get in today’s flagship Radeon HD 7970 GHz edition GPU. AMD hasn’t taken such a big leap since Radeon HD 5870 which double the stream processor count to 1600 compared to 800 SPs on the Radeon HD 4870. The switch from AMD’s VLIW4 (HD 6000 series) to GCN 1.0/1.1 (HD 7000) was more of a die shrink from 40nm to 28nm, but if this architecture shot holds any truth then AMD would not only be shrinking the die down to 20nm but also bring radical changes to the whole architecture.
    AMD Volcanic Islands “Hawaii” AMD Southern Islands “Tahiti”
    Die Size 20nm 28nm
    Stream Processors 4096 2048
    Compute Units 16 32
    TMUS 256 128
    ROPS 64 32
    Memory 4 GB GDDR5 3 GB GDDR5
    Memory Bus 512-bit 384-bit

The 4096 stream processors would be arranged in 16 SPUs (Stream processor modules), each holding 64 processors split into 4 Compute modules and would feature 4 ACE (Asynchronous Compute Engines) units which accept data and pass it over to the SPUs for processing. The Volcanic Islands “Hawaii” chip would comes with 256 Texture mapping units or TMU and 64 ROPS (Raster operation Units). The most intresting thing about the architecture is that AMD would use a 512-bit memory bus instead of the 384-bit on current HD 7900 series parts which would allow for higher native VRAMs of 4 GB. In addition to the main parallel compute module (PCM), the Hawaii chip would also feature 8 SPMs (Serial processing modules) which allows for parallel computing and could be a dedicated HSA module.
    If true... sweeeeeet

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast