Thread: Cloning Program

Xtreme Enthusiast

Cloning Program

Hey Xtremists, I need a cloning program smart enough to copy my Laptop HD (750Gb 5400rpm) to a faster drive (500Gb 7200rpm) I've used Clonezilla before and some off brand stuff that came with a "kit" but none that I can find that will copy just the Used space. They all give me the same warning "The target drive is smaller than the source drive" But no, it's not! I deleted a 500Gb partition on the Source drive so only 200Gb of "data" (3 partitions) needs copying to the 500Gb target drive. Any Ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

Banned
    Acronis will resize different drives automatically or allow you to manually resize them when cloning. I think it might do what you want as I cloned a 320 GB. drive to a 128 GB. SSD drive without issue.

Xtreme XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PaganII View Post
    Hey Xtremists, I need a cloning program smart enough to copy my Laptop HD (750Gb 5400rpm) to a faster drive (500Gb 7200rpm) I've used Clonezilla before and some off brand stuff that came with a "kit" but none that I can find that will copy just the Used space. They all give me the same warning "The target drive is smaller than the source drive" But no, it's not! I deleted a 500Gb partition on the Source drive so only 200Gb of "data" (3 partitions) needs copying to the 500Gb target drive. Any Ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    here you go , free and very easy to use ,fast too

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks guys, I tried Acronis home 2012 but it did the same thing except it wanted me to buy more software because it does not support Dynamic Drives or something like that. The Macrium just makes backups and just gives me a start page with nothing to click on, strange.

I'll try them again a few more times though.
    Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Problem I believe is because I partitioned the factory laptop HD from a single partition to 4 partitions using Easeus Partition Master last year which created the Dynamic Volumes. It is a good program just makes it more difficult to clone to a smaller drive.