Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Q1 CPU Market Share Numbers

Xtreme Addict

2013 Q1 CPU Market Share Numbers

I hadn't seen anything posted about the latest figures so here they are for those interested.

http://www.investorvillage.com/smbd....2730534&pt=msg

Keep getting invalid image trying to upload an image file but its in the link.

Basically the market continues to decline,

Total shipments for 2013q1 82875, 2012q1 98780

Pretty big drop in volume YOY...

Intel 85.2%, AMD 14.3%, VIA .5%
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Addict
    According to those numbers AMD has lost 5% x86 market share in a year.
    It doesn't look good, neither for AMD nor for us.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post

Basically the market continues to decline,
    recession is back (or better never was gone since 2008 :p )

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post
    According to those numbers AMD has lost 5% x86 market share in a year.
    It doesn't look good, neither for AMD nor for us.
    What worries me more about AMD however, is the percentage of their own sales that were lost. 18,800 down to 11,800. That's a catastrophic plummet year over year, that's close to a 40 percent drop in sales vs intels 12 percent drop in sales.

In a bad economy, where AMD is basically the value processor, this should be the time for them to thrive. Its no wonder there stock has tanked so bad in 2012, the CPU division cannot sustain itself.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    What worries me more about AMD however, is the percentage of their own sales that were lost. 18,800 down to 11,800. That's a catastrophic plummet year over year, that's close to a 40 percent drop in sales vs intels 12 percent drop in sales.

In a bad economy, where AMD is basically the value processor, this should be the time for them to thrive. Its no wonder there stock has tanked so bad in 2012, the CPU division cannot sustain itself.
    intel fixed that by selling a lot of really nice cpus for $150-$300..

People don't have much reason to buy AMD. Back in the day when a decent intel chip cost $500, sure. When you can get 3570s for $200 and 3770s for $300, why bother with anything else?
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Addict
    I'm going to buy an AMD chip when the new APUs come out (HTPC) solely for the fact that I want to try something different

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Member
    I hope AMD will put their APUs in something like Intel's NUC form factor. That would be awesome for a HTPC
    Main PC
    i7 3770k
    Asus P8Z77-Deluxe
    4x4 GB Gskill Sniper
    Sandisk Extreme 240 GB
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    MCP35X - Apogee Drive II - MCR320

HTPC
    i7 920
    Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    Sapphire 5670
    3x2 GB OCZ Platinum @ 7-7-7-20
    Corsair HX-650
    Silverstone LC10
    Intel X25-M G2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    One thing that could be damaging AMD numbers is all the bad publicity Crossfire has been getting lately. AFAIK NVIDIA doesn't license SLi to AMD anymore, so enthusiast class AMD hardware is locked into Crossfire.

Between AMD themselves recommending reviewers use intel to test CF because their CPUs can't drive it, non scaling profiles, runts, and latency Crossfire has been under siege in the press lately.

Even if you don't want CF right away, locking yourself out of multi GPU is a limitation.

AMD may well become the APU manufacturing firm.
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    One thing that could be damaging AMD numbers is all the bad publicity Crossfire has been getting lately. AFAIK NVIDIA doesn't license SLi to AMD anymore, so enthusiast class AMD hardware is locked into Crossfire.

Between AMD themselves recommending reviewers use intel to test CF because their CPUs can't drive it, non scaling profiles, runts, and latency Crossfire has been under siege in the press lately.

Even if you don't want CF right away, locking yourself out of multi GPU is a limitation.

AMD may well become the APU manufacturing firm.
    Wtf, where did u get this from?

Xtreme Member

lol hilarious like always, how many cpus have nvidia sold? How about apus? You know that thing that is the future of computing.

AMD sold less 7000 units, Intel sold less 9000 units, off course percentages fit better your agenda. And the notion AMD should be thriving , according to your incredible logic, recession affects the upper classes, you know the low-mid level classes aren't affected.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    intel fixed that by selling a lot of really nice cpus for $150-$300..

People don't have much reason to buy AMD. Back in the day when a decent intel chip cost $500, sure. When you can get 3570s for $200 and 3770s for $300, why bother with anything else?
    if you know that the asp for desktop cpu is less than $100

a $200+ cpu is a luxury for most people already

Xtreme 3D Team
    Not really, most people buying desktops from major OEMs will buy Quad Core intel in the $500-1000 range. Maybe not "K" models but who cares for those machines.

AMD has several problems:
    1. They are ~1 1/2-2 years behind on manufacturing process compared to intel
    2. SOI costs $$
    3. Their revolutionary Bulldozer design wasn't so revolutionary, hopefully the SR core is equivalent to Intel's P4 > Core 2 jump in IPC...
    4. APUs while more efficient, convenient and nice, take away from their previous discrete sales and discrete development, plus do not reap much $$ per unit.

For example, when we had Intel laptops with midrange AMD GPUs in the $600-800 range...
    Now that is all integrated, for both Intel and AMD.

I like the fact that AMD is avoiding unnecessary chipset/socket development as much as possible, continuing to reuse a variant of AM2 still and the lesser pin FM sockets, but their company is too small do do any real development anyway.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Piledriver View Post
    lol hilarious like always, how many cpus have nvidia sold? How about apus? You know that thing that is the future of computing.

AMD sold less 7000 units, Intel sold less 9000 units, off course percentages fit better your agenda. And the notion AMD should be thriving , according to your incredible logic, recession affects the upper classes, you know the low-mid level classes aren't affected.
    Well proportionally AMD took a much harder hit considering the volume drop they have experienced YOY relative to their total shipments compared to Intel. Both AMD and Intel took a hit sure but AMD has seen its volume nearly cut in half compared to last year which translates into half the available revenue. Intel shipped over 70 million chips for the quarter, if they took the same hit as AMD they would have only shipped something like 40 million chips for the quarter.

If the market continues on this path AMD will definitely be squeezed out by attrition.

Nvidia have their Tegra line which is probably in a better position to grow than AMD's current APU lineup, Nvidia is in a growing market AMD is in a declining market with AMD's APU being one of many solutions not the only.

Without a doubt the management at AMD deserve a standing ovation if they manage to keep the company in one piece through this tough time...
    Last edited by highoctane; 05-02-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Corsair VX450

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical Man View Post
    Wtf, where did u get this from?

No offense intended, remembered for a while NV was out of AMD boards, forgot they had come back. I probably even had SLi going on one of my 3-4 Phenom 1-2 mobos, but I cycle parts through here fairly often and it can get tough to remember the particulars.
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Addict
    its more dependent on fab.. in future it gets slower and slower. innovation lies in new Product nisches.
    Vishera 8320@ 5ghz | Gigabyte UD3 | 8gb TridentX 2400 c10| Powercolor 6850 | Thermalight Silver Arrow (bench Super KAZE 3k) | Samsung 830 128gbx2 Raid 0| Fractal case

Xtreme Member
    Well proportionally AMD took a much harder hit considering the volume drop they have experienced YOY relative to their total shipments compared to Intel. Both AMD and Intel took a hit sure but AMD has seen its volume nearly cut in half compared to last year which translates into half the available revenue. Intel shipped over 70 million chips for the quarter, if they took the same hit as AMD they would have only shipped something like 40 million chips for the quarter.

If the market continues on this path AMD will definitely be squeezed out by attrition.

Nvidia have their Tegra line which is probably in a better position to grow than AMD's current APU lineup, Nvidia is in a growing market AMD is in a declining market with AMD's APU being one of many solutions not the only.

Without a doubt the management at AMD deserve a standing ovation if they manage to keep the company in one piece through this tough time...
    Well yeah someone on welfare losing 100 bucks is bigger hit than a millionaire losing 500 bucks, pretty obvious, doesn't change the fact that the millionaire lost more, period. Intel lost more sales than AMD,period. Off course the usual suspects had to twist the facts so they can sleep better, because it's been what? 5,6,7 years now that they are rooting and expecting AMD to go down.

And for some reason, you are under the impression that AMD is still focused on making desktop cpus, that Nvidia it all by itself with tegra, and that it will be a miracle AMD survive another year, when they didn't look this good since 2003.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Piledriver View Post
    And for some reason, you are under the impression that AMD is still focused on making desktop cpus, that Nvidia it all by itself with tegra, and that it will be a miracle AMD survive another year, when they didn't look this good since 2003.
    Of course AMD is focused on making desktop cpu's, HELLO, it's what a majority of whats left of their business is based on, if they drop focus on desktop cpu's they don't exist plain and simple.

Of course they have to venture into other markets to make up the losses they are seeing in the desktop and mobile cpu sales volume, Intel is and has been trying to do the same thing but they are overall in a whole other league as far as desperation and profitability is concerned.

It's not to bash AMD by any means it's simply the reality of the situation, lets take a look. AMD has had a major top to bottom management shake up, consistent quarterly losses, significantly reduced sales volume, employee exodus, mass employee layoffs and on top of that AMD has sold off a majority of its assets. This is not made up, it's reality... While all the other tech companies are grappling with a changing market you don't see any of them scrambling around as AMD.

Like I said AMD's management deserves a standing ovation if they manage to keep the company intact in one piece through these tough times because they are in a bad position that statistically has continued to worsen to date.

Corsair VX450

Xtreme Member
    Of course AMD is focused on making desktop cpu's, HELLO, it's what a majority of whats left of their business is based on, if they drop focus on desktop cpu's they don't exist plain and simple.

Of course they have to venture into other markets to make up the losses they are seeing in the desktop and mobile cpu sales volume, Intel is and has been trying to do the same thing but they are overall in a whole other league as far as desperation and profitability is concerned.

It's not to bash AMD by any means it's simply the reality of the situation, lets take a look. AMD has had a major top to bottom management shake up, consistent quarterly losses, significantly reduced sales volume, employee exodus, mass employee layoffs and on top of that AMD has sold off a majority of its assets. This is not made up, it's reality... While all the other tech companies are grappling with a changing market you don't see any of them scrambling around as AMD.

Like I said AMD's management deserves a standing ovation if they manage to keep the company intact in one piece through these tough times because they are in a bad position that statistically has continued to worsen to date.
    Did you miss the fact that AMD supplies the PS4, WiiU, and probably the next gen Xbox? I can guarantee you those contracts rake in SERIOUS cash.
    Project||Oroborous
    Sponsored by MNPC Tech

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
    Did you miss the fact that AMD supplies the PS4, WiiU, and probably the next gen Xbox? I can guarantee you those contracts rake in SERIOUS cash.
    That absolutely means nothing if AMD as the company sits today cannot manage to be profitable.

All the warm and fuzzy announcements mean absolutely nothing until there is money in the bank.

Corsair VX450

I am Xtreme
    AMD APUs do well at business and HTPC applications. They just need to market them right.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    That absolutely means nothing if AMD as the company sits today cannot manage to be profitable.

All the warm and fuzzy announcements mean absolutely nothing until there is money in the bank.
    There is essentially no way that AMD can lose everything though. The console contracts foot the bill for the losing CPU and (probably) GPU divisions.
    Project||Oroborous
    Sponsored by MNPC Tech

Xtreme Addict
    There is essentially no way that AMD can lose everything though. The console contracts foot the bill for the losing CPU and (probably) GPU divisions.
    Not particularly. The CEO during the 4th quarter conference call was telling investors that in the long term, his goals were trying to turn AMD into a profitably company while making 1.2 billion dollars a quarter(which would include the console deal). AMD made a bit less than 1.1 billion last quarter and 1.16 the quarter before that. Considering all of AMD's hands in various markets, 1.2 billion dollars isn't that much considering they made 1.65 billion a year earlier. What AMD plans on doing I suspect is to cutting costs by slicing into R and D and reduce costs so it can be profitable with less money. In short AMD is downsizing.

AMD current value as is, includes the console deal. AMD has recently had a spike in value because there are rumors Intel wants to buy them. But the console deal is hardly enough to make up for the loss of the CPU division. If it were, AMD would expect more financial growth and not have talks about making the company profitable at 1.2 billion in the long term.

The console makers are not paying that much for the APU. AMD need to invent a tech that they can charge a premium for because it is superior to the competition if they want to make money again.

Also the console deal is not a guarantee. The Wii U is starting to look like a failure and the future of console gaming has always been in question with the advent of tablets. E.g look at kids wish lists for christmas and mobile tech has started replacing consoles at the forefront.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 05-02-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Addict
    AMD current value as is, includes the console deal.
    No it doesn't...
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    AMD current value as is, includes the console deal. AMD has recently had a spike in value because there are rumors Intel wants to buy them. But the console deal is hardly enough to make up for the loss of the CPU division. If it were, AMD would expect more financial growth and not have talks about making the company profitable at 1.2 billion in the long term.

The console makers are not paying that much for the APU. AMD need to invent a tech that they can charge a premium for because it is superior to the competition if they want to make money again.
    AMD is most definitely downsizing, there are layoffs left and right. However, they won't simply stop making CPUs or GPUs and stick to the profitable divisions. I think they will steer the same course but with less crew for the CPU market, and I think GPUs will become more focused on APU applications and other "side markets" there. Overall, the worst has been passed or at least that is the attitude in the company from what I can tell. With good performance from SR, that should bring AMD back into the green. The results from last quarter weren't far off from a profit. I think with more streamlining and efficiency AMD can definitely pull a profit in the future.
    Project||Oroborous
    Sponsored by MNPC Tech

Xtreme Addict
    The results from last quarter weren't far off from a profit. I think with more streamlining and efficiency AMD can definitely pull a profit in the future.
    Q1 2013 losses would have been worse if not for selling their facilities which accounted for around 164 million income for the quarter.

If you wanted to get an idea how their bundle helped just look at AMD's 2013 q1 financial statement page 10, graphics division net 337m with a profit of 16m vs q4 2012 net 326m with a profit of 22m. Graphics revenue is indeed up slightly but profits took a pretty big hit as well. If I'm not mistaken volume and revenue generally drop from q4 so considering revenue is up in q1 they must have seen some small gains in gpu marketshare.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...RJRD01MDEyNzk=

Corsair VX450

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast