Thread: Arctic MX-4 Lacks Longevity

Xtreme Member

Arctic MX-4 Lacks Longevity

So I bought a couple ounces of Arctic's MX-4 since there are so many reviews that rave about how great it is...and decided not to buy Silver since it's, and I quote, "old". So here is my experience from the past year with MX-4. I bought a Powercolor 7950 and mounted an Arctic Accelero Plus II (By the way Arctic, nice 6-year warranty? WTF) up to it and used MX-4 as my thermal compound:

12 months ago: idle temp-34C, load temp-64C
    8 months ago: idle temp-34C, load temp-90C

Removed Accelero and re-applied MX-4:

8 months ago: idle temp-34C, load temp-64C
    4 months ago: idle temp-34C, load temp-90C

4 months ago: idle temp-34C, load temp-64C
    Yesterday: idle temp-34C, load temp-100C

Today: idle temp-34C, load temp-64C

Notice a trend here???? It's not dried or brittle either, its still just as creamy as when I put it on...so its deteriorating/breaking down on me. I call shenanigans on Arctic's MX-4 claim that it is long lasting.
    Or hey, I got the only tube of MX-4 in the entire world that does this.

Has anyone else noticed their temps are not as low as they use to be? Have you been just assuming its dust bunny build up when its really not?
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Banned
    It's difficult to say if the MX-4 or any other TIM deteriorates over time without a much larger sample size and controlled testing conditions.

While it's possible that the MX-4 is thermally changing over time it's also possible that other issues are causing the temp change that you are seeing such as the two surfaces not being extremely flat or the mount tension changing over time. These could allow the TIM to extrude some or lose good contact between any warped surfaces. There may be oxidation issues based on the thermal operating range, environmental issues, etc. that lead to the results that you are seeing. There is also the possibility that your results are very typical and a true indication of an issue long term with MX-4. We just don't know without a more comprehensive investigation. Maybe you should try AS5 or some other TIM on the same component and see what the results are 4 months down the road as a reference point.

Xtreme Member
    Yup, i'm calling out MX-4. I realize a lot of people wouldn't realize an issue that occurs over such a long period of time.

I'm asking if any other users of MX-4 that have supplemented their original GPU's compound with MX-4, if you have noticed a sharp rise in GPU temps after 3+ months of usage?

I was quite impressed with my Acellero keeping my 7950 at 64C load, so you can imagine it is quite noticeable when the compound has deteriorated and load temp goes up to +100C.

++The surface is smooth as I have lapped it twice now.
    ++The contact between the GPU and sink really cannot be any tighter, as I have already stripped (and replaced) the steel threads out of the base-plate of the sink once.
    ++I've tried getting away with just tightening the contact between the two when temps go up...but to no avail.

And the stripping of the steel threads is the problem here...I've had to reapply the compound so many times that the steel threads on my Arctic Acellero finally gave out. Arctic won't honor their 6-year warranty with me directly...so i'm currently having Newegg deal with Arctic for me (they say Arctic has to honor that warranty). How ironic, Arctic's MX-4 compound caused premature failure of my Arctic Acellero GPU-sink.

I am guessing MX-4 was only tested with CPUs by Arctic.
    Last edited by DefStar; 04-26-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    I am guessing MX-4 was only tested with CPUs by Arctic.
    FWIW, I've been using MX-4 for a few years now and have been quite happy with it compared to others.
    There are more exotic (read expensive) TIM's that probably perform better, but I've done some testing on my own and decided to stick with MX-4....

I installed an aftermarket Zalman cooler on my 6870 back in 2010 (using MX-4) so it gave me a point of reference to look back on:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ler&highlight=

I ran those same tests again tonight and temps did increase from 51c to 58c load (not sure what ambients were back then but it's 72f now so they should be close).

100c temps would concern me too, so this info probably doesn't help you, but it is another point of reference.

I'm sure all tims degrade a little over time, but 29 months is a pretty long stretch and a 7c increase doesn't seem all that drastic in my case.
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, that's a small increase but it doesn't depict the same scenario i'm experiencing. I wonder if my cooler is so big that maybe it's twisting and moving the compound around when I pull the card out of the case to swap something. That's something I've noticed to, I just happened to be doing an upgrade/swap of some component every couple months lately...requiring me to pull my vid-card out. Maybe disrupting the compounds initial position once it has been set and heated causes it to lose its thermal conductivity...or creates micro-air pockets.
    Last edited by DefStar; 04-27-2013 at 12:52 AM.
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

Xtreme Legend
    I'm not going to argue with your logic.... but instead of replacing the tim see what happens if you re-torque the mountings.

I have used this for short duration only and on spring mounted cpu so this is just an idea that comes to mind.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, I retorqued the screws but it gave no improvement. I guess that rules out my micro-air bubble theory. I think MX-4 breaks down under the higher heat expelled from a modern GPU.
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

Banned
    I have no personal experience with the GPU/cooler that you are using nor why the threads would continue to strip. Excessive tightening however can also cause the heatsink to warp over time with heat cycling.

It's possible MX-4 deteriorates over time. We just don't know for sure. The only means to know is by accurate, controlled testing. It would be nice to test your current set-up with another TIM to see how much the temps change in 4-8 months. That might be a useful data point.

Xtreme Addict
    Probably caused by the dust build up on the cooler's fins.

Xtreme Addict
    Were you by chance removing dust every time you re-applied? Dust accumulation could definitely explain the rise in temps and the drop in temps every time you re-applied.
    7820X | Asrock X299 Taichi XE | Gigabyte 1080 Ti Xtreme | 32GB Memoriez | Corsair HXi1000 | 500GB 960 Evo

Xtreme Member
    Shine a light on the heatsink, you will probably see dust caked on the fins. Even if you clean between the fins, dust on the fins is still holding heat in. Remember, dust is a fantastic insulator.
    CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
    RAM: g.skill 4gb ripjaws ddr3 1600
    MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
    VID: HD6950 @ 850/1300 (for now)
    SOUND: Auzen X-Fi Prelude
    PSU: Seasonic X-560
    HDD: Seagate 500gb :: Samsung 500gb SATAII :: Samsung 1tb
    CASE: Antec P182 w/window
    COOLING: Panaflo 120x38mm medium-speed 2x :: Panaflo 120x25mm medium/low :: Thermalright Venomous X/ Delta 120x38mm low-speed

Most teenagers (some adults, as well) have changed to decide that rap sounds musical. If you haven't, put this in your signature.

Banned
    If he isn't cleaning the heatsink every time then that isn't the issue.

Xtreme Member
    Got some "Prolimatech PRO-PK3" compound from newegg. It's pretty expensive but it's the only compound that advertises "Long-Term Stability"... . So I applied it and my load temp actually dropped 2C (from 64 down to 62), which is impressive. I've applied MX-4 to this thing 5 different times and load temp is always 64C in Heaven by the end of the first loop. So I'm now 6 loops into Heaven and the Prolimatech is keeping it at a steady 62C. Anyway, now for the test of longevity...I guess I'll update this thread in 3 months or so. Wow, 1.5 Grams cost $6.99 so it's pretty expensive.
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

Banned
    The Prolimatech PRO-PK3 is expensive and more difficult to apply properly. It tend s to deliver a couple degrees reduction but that is insignificant in actual performance. It's lifespan is undocumented as most folks who use it tend to mod/mess with their systems a lot so it never is in operation for long periods of time before being replaced. Report back in 3+ months.

Xtreme Addict
    I put some MX-4 on when I installed my Vishera CPU. I dont remember what the max load temp was the day I applied it so I have no comparison here to give, but ill check this afternoon and see what the load temp is now days and let you know if it looks really bad or not.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've been running MX-4 on my 870 for over 2 years now without change. It's been running fine, load temps now are marginally higher than before simply due to dust buildup over the past couple of months.

Xtreme Member
    Just to be clear, for the people posting that their "CPU load temps" have not increased...I also use the MX-4 on my CPU and have also not had an issue with the load temps going up over time...only on my GPU have I noticed an issue, which I believe to be a result of the much higher temps experienced when using my overclocked GPU...just to be clear.
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

Been using MX4 on my HD7950 (OC 1100 / 1565... crappy overdrive, but I don't like needless apps launching with Windows.. nor do I like having to launch a app for OC to be applied) for 4-5 months now, temps are every bit as good as when it was first applied.
    Last edited by Ket; 05-16-2013 at 12:55 PM.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    All compound dries out over time, it's a case of watts over time. When you're pumping 200+ watts into the compound, it is exponentially worse than ~100w for the average CPU.
    CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
    RAM: g.skill 4gb ripjaws ddr3 1600
    MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
    VID: HD6950 @ 850/1300 (for now)
    SOUND: Auzen X-Fi Prelude
    PSU: Seasonic X-560
    HDD: Seagate 500gb :: Samsung 500gb SATAII :: Samsung 1tb
    CASE: Antec P182 w/window
    COOLING: Panaflo 120x38mm medium-speed 2x :: Panaflo 120x25mm medium/low :: Thermalright Venomous X/ Delta 120x38mm low-speed

Most teenagers (some adults, as well) have changed to decide that rap sounds musical. If you haven't, put this in your signature.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by apexracing View Post
    All compound dries out over time, it's a case of watts over time. When you're pumping 200+ watts into the compound, it is exponentially worse than ~100w for the average CPU.
    Not necessarily... There are various formulations of TIM compounds and they do not all share the same physical characteristics including the perceived "drying out" characteristic which in some compounds may not be significantly altered by the thermal load or operating temp.

Without proper scientific testing, it's all speculation and not documented fact.
    Last edited by AMDforME; 05-17-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Been using MX4 on my HD7950 (OC 1100 / 1565... crappy overdrive, but I don't like needless apps launching with Windows.. nor do I like having to launch a app for OC to be applied) for 4-5 months now, temps are every bit as good as when it was first applied.
    What do overclocking applications launching with windows have to do with this thread? Since you seem to be awfully distraught over the situation, I will go ahead and remind you that you can set the app. not to launch when windows starts. Actually, I'm bored with compounds... lets start talking about overclocking needless crappy overdrive launching windows applications
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    When doing direct Die cooling I noticed that MX-4 was good and then became really bad. Other more common TIMs such as MX-2 were average and also deteriorate fast although not so fast as MX-4. The "normal" TIM I had which lasted the longer was Prolimatech PK-3 although it only lasted for a couple of weeks ! All my problems were solve when using a Liquid Metal TIM.

My opinion on this matter is that conventional TIMs tend to deteriorate when you make with the watts they transport, in this case doing direct Die cooling it was clear that the small areas where the cores were located within the CPU were dryer then the other parts.

Banned
    For those who don't know... TIM is only meant to fill the micro imperfections in the two surfaces. Ideally you want to apply a film of only a few thousands of an inch in thickness. In other words if you can't see thru the TIM on the CPU/GPU surface, you've used way too much. The goal is 100% metal-to-metal contact of the two surfaces. Since that is impossible you want as high of metal-to-metal contact and the TIM to only be in the micro imperfections where there isn't metal-to-metal contact.

As far as "drying out" some TIMs are meant to dry because they conduct heat better as a solid vs. a paste. That being said I have never personally seen any TIM "dry out" in a few weeks or even a few months. To determine the true thermal properties long term you'd need to conduct accurate controlled testing.
    Last edited by AMDforME; 05-26-2013 at 05:33 PM.