Thread: Been a while...

Nerdy Powerlifter

Been a while...

How've you guys been?!

I haven't folded in a long time, but I have the itch to try it again! I can't fold 24/7, but here & there would be fun. PPD rates for this card should rock.

Do you guys have any tips on getting a 690 going? It's been a while, and I can't remember how to set up the gpu client, lol. I guess I need 2 instances of it.

Thanks!
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the new f@h client pretty much sets it up for you correctly from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Hola long time no siege...er, see

I may be getting back into things perhaps also.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Hola long time no siege...er, see

I may be getting back into things perhaps also.
    excellent! we need more! we are close to dropping another rank

sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Both GPUs are running at 99%. Seems about right.

Should get 2 units done in the next 3 hours (according to the ETA).

I'm glad I decided to WC this bad boy. Temps aren't breaking 41C.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    I'm running a WC'ed 690 also - ppd is decent, but not what it could be. I read where F@H doesn't give bonus points correctly to the GPU based folding so we're still crippled a bit. if I read correctly though they are trying to change it - but it won't happen until the client goes open CL (core 17). my calculated ppd fluctuates between mid 70k's (no bonus WU's to feed the beast) to mid 130k's (7600 series WU's).

as for set-up, it's easy as pie: DL the latest client (7.3.6), install, and start - it will ask if you want to set up your identity, and once it begins it will recognize 2x 680 GPU's and your CPU and will begin DL'ing your first WU's automatically. note: make sure you put your passkey in during the setup phase!! also, during the setup phase, I would also set-up the two options: client-type: advanced, and max-packet-size: big. not sure if it matters with the new client version, but I still load it up anyway (just to be sure).
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

Xtreme Member
    Synthetickiller: how's your setup running? i looked at the team stats, and it looks like your holding at about 10k ppd? that what you were expecting? is that just the GPU(s)? or CPU too?
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

(o.O)
    It really has been a while. I don't have anything to fold on anymore, but figured I'd drop by and say hello!

Also, I was wondering what ever happened to that atlas folding guy? He used to have a website atlasfolding.com (or net or something) but it's no longer up and I can't find any info on him anywhere. Did his rig go obsolete or something?
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by bds71 View Post
    Synthetickiller: how's your setup running? i looked at the team stats, and it looks like your holding at about 10k ppd? that what you were expecting? is that just the GPU(s)? or CPU too?
    I was hoping 25K to 35K a day on average. I let it fold about 12 hours unless I'm busy doing something or simply forget to turn it on. 10k seems too low, especially when I'm finishing a few projects a day per core.

Just the GTX 690 (both cores), not the cpu. I wonder why it's much lower than I though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    It really has been a while. I don't have anything to fold on anymore, but figured I'd drop by and say hello!

Also, I was wondering what ever happened to that atlas folding guy? He used to have a website atlasfolding.com (or net or something) but it's no longer up and I can't find any info on him anywhere. Did his rig go obsolete or something?
    Long time no see!

I don't know, honestly.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post

im not sure what happened to any of the old members tbh

even angra is mia

Angra MIA concerns me.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Angra MIA concerns me.
    agreed, and with him goes half our ppd

Xtreme Member
    Just the GTX 690 (both cores), not the cpu. I wonder why it's much lower than I though.
    no bonus points - look on the right side where the stats are showed (console) - you should see the base points, and the predicted points are the same. this means you aren't getting any bonus points. with my CPU the predicted points are often double or more what the base points are, but the GPUs are always equal to teh base points. until we start getting bonus points for GPU WUs, we will get crappy ppd. especially if you're running GPU only.
    Last edited by bds71; 05-07-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    no bonus points - look on the right side where the stats are showed (console) - you should see the base points, and the predicted points are the same. this means you aren't getting any bonus points. with my CPU the predicted points are often double or more what the base points are, but the GPUs are always equal to teh base points. until we start getting bonus points for GPU WUs, we will get crappy ppd. especially if you're running GPU only.
    I can't currently do anything about cpu folding. I'm in the process of moving & I'm way too stubborn to shut down my rig till the day before lol.

I have a couple of 3770k cpus lying around. They OC like crap & the boards they are on are crap too lol (no z77, all H type boards). If I had more PSUs, it's possible to do some folding, but I don't have enough spares & I can't sent that up now.

Maybe I should try to dump them on fleabay & get a quad socket g34 lol. How do those do for F@H anyways? I haven't looked into running F@H on VMs or even on linux. Maybe that's a good solution or would the VM create too much overhead? I guess then you're comparing a quad socket g34 vs dual socket xeon (I think they're in the same price range). Hmmm....
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

I'll give you the spare change in my pocket for one of those 3770k CPUs
    The Cardboard Master

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I'll give you the spare change in my pocket for one of those 3770k CPUs
    That's a LOT of pennies bro! I can't imagine the shipping on that. Must be freight only.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    I can't currently do anything about cpu folding. I'm in the process of moving & I'm way too stubborn to shut down my rig till the day before lol.

I have a couple of 3770k cpus lying around. They OC like crap & the boards they are on are crap too lol (no z77, all H type boards). If I had more PSUs, it's possible to do some folding, but I don't have enough spares & I can't sent that up now.

Maybe I should try to dump them on fleabay & get a quad socket g34 lol. How do those do for F@H anyways? I haven't looked into running F@H on VMs or even on linux. Maybe that's a good solution or would the VM create too much overhead? I guess then you're comparing a quad socket g34 vs dual socket xeon (I think they're in the same price range). Hmmm....
    Let me know how it goes on Linux. I"d be curious to see if you notice a decrease in the time it takes for a WU. Unfortunately they don't have a GPU client for Linux, though there was some weird workaround for Nvidia card that someone pointed to me. Unfortunately since I have almost all AMD card, no go for me.

The GPU WU's are proving to be a real pain. I've gotten WU's stuck on 99 or 98% twice now. And for 6+ hours. I may have to hold off until they get core17 implemented.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Member
    I have a couple of 3770k cpus lying around. They OC like crap...
    have you delidded them yet? they come stock with pretty crappy TIM. most OCers delid them and fix that issue first, then they actually OC quite well from what i hear. a lot of folks (that i've seen) use liquid metal under the hood, and then regular TIM on top.

Maybe I should try to dump them on fleabay & get a quad socket g34 lol.
    with a big setup like that you could run the -bigadv option. from what i understand, there are some pretty huge bonus points for those (but, they *require* a minimum of 16 cores/threads). as far as linux and the VM clients go, i can't speak intelligently on - basically, i got no idea

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    Let me know how it goes on Linux. I"d be curious to see if you notice a decrease in the time it takes for a WU. Unfortunately they don't have a GPU client for Linux, though there was some weird workaround for Nvidia card that someone pointed to me. Unfortunately since I have almost all AMD card, no go for me.

The GPU WU's are proving to be a real pain. I've gotten WU's stuck on 99 or 98% twice now. And for 6+ hours. I may have to hold off until they get core17 implemented.
    That'll be a project when I have some real income to play with.

My g/f does a lot of video encoding. I just built her a 3770k based rig, but it's been nothing but problems. She's out of town, so I can't work on it with her. She wants to learn which is awesome. The 2nd video card slot doesn't work. Long story short, after fixing this rig, she won't need one for some time, but I think I can talk her into eventually moving to a dual socket rig. She was floored in how much time she saves going from an a6-3410m to the i7. Either a dual/quad AMD or dual socket 1567 or something (they seem to be cheap on ebay, relatively speaking compared to retail).

have you delidded them yet? they come stock with pretty crappy TIM. most OCers delid them and fix that issue first, then they actually OC quite well from what i hear. a lot of folks (that i've seen) use liquid metal under the hood, and then regular TIM on top.

with a big setup like that you could run the -bigadv option. from what i understand, there are some pretty huge bonus points for those (but, they *require* a minimum of 16 cores/threads). as far as linux and the VM clients go, i can't speak intelligently on - basically, i got no idea
    I ended up killing a decent 3770k by delidding it. Tried my luck first with a celeron & it worked. NOT a fun experience. My other 3770k's just seem to be limited. None of them clocked over 4.2ghz. It wasn't a temp wall, but a voltage wall. I think I was pushing 1.35v or something and they STILL wouldn't even get to 4.4ghz stable. I had bad luck this gen.

It's more of an idea as i Just don't have the income to do it. I'd like to though. I actually had a dual socket g34 board, but one socket was dead and I decided to sell my 2nd opteron instead. I didn't need 16 cores for the VMs I was running. All I need is a 2nd 2.4ghz 8 core and probably that asus dual socket board.

After I get moved, I'll throw 2 spare i7s into two itx boards I have & fold on those if I have the time. I won't in the next 2 weeks. Maybe after that. I do have a gtx 650 sitting in a drawer. Not sure if it's worth even folding on it.

As for actually running 16+ cores, I'd like to know if 2011/1567 pulls less power compared to g34 for F@H. If it did, I'd probably go that route. As well, I'd have to build a dedicated machine for my storage server. I have enough hardware lying around, I think (dual core celeron, 8gb ddr3, the correct raid card etc). I'd just need a case. Hmm.... I'll have to see.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    I'd like to know if 2011/1567 pulls less power compared to g34 for F@H.
    i can't speak to g34, but i'm pulling 250+ with my 2011 socket at 4.5G (a fairly non-aggressive OC at 1.27V). i'm waiting for IB-E this fall (hopefully) since it's a direct drop in replacement (or it's supposed to be anyway) for SB-E. comparing 2011 to 1567 isn't really fair either: since half the die on the 1567 is graphics (and not used to fold, as far as i know) you get a LOT less CPU - and even with the extra graphics on the die, it's still a smaller chip. i would say 2011 consumes a fair bit more than 1567 (maybe as much as double, but that's a guess).

Nerdy Powerlifter
    i can't speak to g34, but i'm pulling 250+ with my 2011 socket at 4.5G (a fairly non-aggressive OC at 1.27V). i'm waiting for IB-E this fall (hopefully) since it's a direct drop in replacement (or it's supposed to be anyway) for SB-E. comparing 2011 to 1567 isn't really fair either: since half the die on the 1567 is graphics (and not used to fold, as far as i know) you get a LOT less CPU - and even with the extra graphics on the die, it's still a smaller chip. i would say 2011 consumes a fair bit more than 1567 (maybe as much as double, but that's a guess).
    Alright. I'm not up to snuff on E5/E7 server stuff. I know there's E7 cpus w/ 10 cores / 20 threads. I figured that was the best option if I could find an affordable motherboard.

I know asus makes a dual socket 2011. There's also ES chips on ebay. Would be an awesome folder if they can be OC'd. If I could dump about 1500 into a rig (not happening now), that would be dual e5-2670 (2.6ghz 8c/16t each), that would rock.

Quick googling yeilded a thread about quad g34 running 4 2.1ghz 16core cpus would pull about 660w to 700w on load. Not really bad for a 64 core beast.

Pricewise, a G34 is going to cost half that if not a 3rd of it's intel counterpart, if you are comparing amd core count vs intel total thread count.

If I only had the income.... $600 for two 2.3ghz 16core G34 cpus!
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Back online after the move back to the dirty dirty, lol.

Glad to be back folding
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Back online after the move back to the dirty dirty, lol.

Glad to be back folding
    Yes welcome back friend

I know asus makes a dual socket 2011. There's also ES chips on ebay. Would be an awesome folder if they can be OC'd. If I could dump about 1500 into a rig (not happening now), that would be dual e5-2670 (2.6ghz 8c/16t each), that would rock.
    Based on recent experience, I wouldn't recommend the dual 2011 route for a dedicated folding machine anymore.

a few comments:
    1) E5-2600 Xeons & OC doesn't fit well toegether. Asus boards can run 4% faster (Z9PE-D8), Supermicro 6% (check for Movieman's system)
    2) Cant talk about ES versions, but retail E5-26xx are very expensive.
    3) Based on dual GTX Titan systems, performance is on par with dual E5-2690 (depending on WUs). ca. 300k PPD.
    4) The new GTX 780 would be a better card wrt PPD/$. 1500$ will get you soon a dual GPU folder with similar perf than dual 2670s. Power consuption should be better for the GPU system.
    5) The above comments are based on Core17 for GPUs and core A4/A5 for CPUs.

rgds,
    Andy