Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD finally fixing frame rate latency problem

Xtreme Member

AMD finally fixing frame rate latency problem

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-F...s-348042.shtml
    AMD Finally Fixing Frame Rate Latency in Games, Readies Driver

Drivers are something that Advanced Micro Devices could have been spending more resources on, but for a while, it felt like it didn't need to.

Now, though, it is faced with a rather delicate situation: NVIDIA advantage in getting the frames to the displays.

AMD has just released the Radeon HD 7990 Malta dual-GPU graphics card. Paradoxically, it is purported as the faster video board, and yet it loses to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 in frame time in many titles.

While frame rate is the number of frames drawn per second, frame time determines how fast said frames reach the display.

Many feel frame time is as important as frame rates, and the latency in AMD cards has not gone by unnoticed.

This is the problem: AMD's Radeon boards lag behind NVIDIA's GeForce in terms of frame times, even in some cases where AMD's board has higher FPS.

AMD maintains that it's not because of the hardware though, which means it needs better drivers.

It is now reported that the Sunnyvale, California-based company had the first prototype driver ready, but in pre-alpha stage, so only some industry partners can get them. Beta drivers will follow once feedback comes in.
    Finally.

Xtreme Guru
    Already been benchmarked.

They aren't close to releasing them yet though.

Xtreme Member
    According to the graphs, these drivers looks really good.

Xtreme Member
    Oh I thought you meant they released this new driver already...I had a moment of shear panic as my self esteem felt as if a steamroller ran-over it thinking that Nvidia might not have the fastest board in the world. Thank you God!
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Addict
    I'll believe it when I see it released....

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it released....
    The beta has already been benchmarked.

Don't we already have a thread about this? Isn't there more information about this in the 7990 thread?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    Oh I thought you meant they released this new driver already...I had a moment of shear panic as my self esteem felt as if a steamroller ran-over it thinking that Nvidia might not have the fastest board in the world. Thank you God!
    You should be more worried about the trend toward $1000 high end cards than who has the fastest card. (unless you're pretty wealthy)
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    The beta has already been benchmarked.

Don't we already have a thread about this? Isn't there more information about this in the 7990 thread?
    It isn't a beta, it's a prototype pre-alpha driver with purportedly major issues and a release date months out. Please get your facts straight before rolling your eyes .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah yeah for me i do not believe AMD Because When the card was launched 7990 AMD say less noisy and this is a picture from AMD

And now talking about it repaired the frame rate problem.....Again I can not believe what AMD say until I see myself because I saw a hardwarecanucks review and the results are not promising no different from its predecessor.
    WOOOOOF

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    You should be more worried about the trend toward $1000 high end cards than who has the fastest card. (unless you're pretty wealthy)
    Yeah, well...Nvidia and "ATI" have always done this at the end of an architecture's life...they make some uber ridiculous card at an exorbitantly hi-price, and then 4-months later the next gen. architecture's $300 card totally smashes the ridiculous last gen. $1000 monstrosity. Its sole purpose is for bragging rights. I'm not worried about it because I don't brag about my rig and i'm not responsible for either company's marketing. They've both had their hands slapped for price fixing before...so unethical business practices from either company really doesn't surprise me.

BUT THIS NEW DRIVER IS GOING TO BE ING AWESOME!
    Last edited by DefStar; 04-24-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Last Meal View Post
    And now talking about it repaired the frame rate problem.....Again I can not believe what AMD say until I see myself because I saw a hardwarecanucks review and the results are not promising no different from its predecessor.
    Then you don't understand the results or what was being tested.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Then you don't understand the results or what was being tested.
    yeah right

Last edited by Tha Last Meal; 04-24-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    WOOOOOF

Xtreme Addict
    yeah right
    So what don't you get?
    Did you read what Sky has to say about the results?
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    yeah right
    Please enlight us and tell why you don't see improvement in those charts

Xtreme Enthusiast
    guys relax

Surprised by some that even my own opinion is attacked
    my own opinion is, yes, a slight improvement here but I am a believer will not reach More than that,I may be wrong but this is what I see.
    WOOOOOF

Xtreme Mentor
    my own opinion is, yes, a slight improvement here but I am a believer will not reach More than that,I may be wrong but this is what I see.
    i am sure we will see more improvement but a complete (complete is not a good word for this problem but i think you know what i mean) fix may not be applicable to tahiti series.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Guru
    yeah right
    There is an improvement but let me explain how it works.

The first charts you see are frame latencies. With that in mind, when the "spikes" are smaller, the onscreen delivery of frames will appear smoother. But notice the scale of the Tomb Raider graph in particular. With the new driver, most of the HD 7990's frame times take place well below the 25ms mark, making any stutter all but imperceptible to a gamer. Compare and contrast that with the previous driver where latencies routinely hover around the 35-40ms mark and you'll certainly see an improvement.

Now, the other graphs show (IMO) the best representation of what is seen onscreen in terms of actual frame rates. For argument's sake, let's call this "actual performance". One of AMD's major problems has always been their drivers' insistence to either drop or partially render (runt) frames in certain titles. While FRAPS counts these frames fully, in reality they never make it onto the screen in a complete manner, thus lowering the perceptible framerate. Hence why you see massive dips in the framerate every so often; the HD 7990 drops or runts frames, thus lowering onscreen performance.

What this so-called "frame pacing" driver does is twofold. It ensures that frames are delivered in a synchronous manner in dual GPU setups, something which AMD has historically struggled with. This lowers frame latencies. In addition, it monitors this delivery, effectively eliminating dropped and partially rendered frames. This (when combined with smoother frame delivery) improves visible frame rates.

Back to those last two Frame Rate charts, you will see the effect of eliminating the dropped and runted frames by comparing the yellow line to the bright red one. As you can see, the new driver improves performance, cutting down on the frames that would normally be "lost" sometime in the rendering / display process.

Hope that helps.

Xtreme Mentor
    i want to test it in realworld gaming
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Member
    AMD releases Catalyst 13.5 beta, 13.4 WHQL graphics drivers

• Far Cry 3: Improves performance up to 4% with Anti-Aliasing enabled
    • Shogun II: Improves performance up to 20% with 8x Anti-Aliasing enabled
    • Tomb Raider: Improves performance up to 6%
    • Bioshock Infinite: Improves performance up to 6%
    • Borderlands 2: Improves performance up to 17
    CPU : Athlon X2 7850,Clock:3000 at 1.20 | Mobo : Biostar TA790GX A2+ Rev 5.1 | PSU : Green GP535A | VGA : Sapphire 5770 Clock:910,Memory:1300 | Memory : Patriot 2x2 GB DDR2 800 CL 5-5-5-15 | LCD : AOC 931Sw

Is this frame pacing where the driver purposely increases frame latency to even out frame interval? If so I'm not sure how well it'll work in practice with the additional lag.

Xtreme Member
    And as is the custom with ATI, only 7xxx gen cards will "benefit" from this monumental bug fix, while nVidia owners will be able to enjoy the benefits of new drivers with older gen cards as well.

Hah, you paid $500 for a top of the line 6xxx card? Get with the times!!!

Xtreme Member
    Waiting for this driver fix is like waiting for X-mas (when dad had a good year financially)... I am completely convinced AMD will keep delivering exactly what we want if we support them and Nvidia keeps doing their thing. This is "good" healthy competition benefiting the consumer at its best! As long as the two don't price-fix behind our backs, we are in for some good products (I don't believe they are price-fixing...Rollo, blame Nvidia for settng a $1k class of cards, AMD is only reacting to it... unfortunately some consumers are so dumb they don't believe a lower $ card can compete with a high $ card so AMD had to fill that price category).
    Last edited by DefStar; 04-25-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    -- 100% Fun ...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    Goldentiger hating on AMD, what a shock. So whats going to be your big complaint when they do release that driver?
    Come on your the last person who should be questioning that people should be skeptical about the fix until it arrives.

You kept on saying its not a big deal, its a none issue. Put a cap limit on and there should be no problems. This is being blown out of proportion.

If there wasn't an issue, there would be no reason for excitement for this driver and no reason for AMD to fix the problem in the first place.

This issues effects a decent amount of games and needs to be tested through a huge battery of test. There is a reason that it is 2 months away at least and this is likely due to issue that have not come up yet in these previews. AMD has likely done some sort of reviewers guide on what they can and cannot show to make this thing look good. The reason I say this is there hasn't been a leak for this driver at all. Meaning its tightly controlled and AMD only wants to show certain things now.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Mentor
    I never said that it was no big deal. Don't put words into my mouth.

What I said is that it might be worth dealing with for people using a 60hz display due to the performance that you're getting for the price. Especially in the case of 7950 crossfire.

What does bug me is certain people acting as if this is an issue that effects every game in every circumstance.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    Rollo, blame Nvidia for settng a $1k class of cards, AMD is only reacting to it... unfortunately some consumers are so dumb they don't believe a lower $ card can compete with a high $ card so AMD had to fill that price category).
    Hard to say who's to blame. AMD for not bringing competing products, which allows NVIDIA to gouge? Or NVIDIA for taking advantage of the situation like every company on Earth would?
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast