Thread: Can you hack in "Stealth" mode?

Hybrid View

Xtreme Mentor

Can you hack in "Stealth" mode?

Hi

My friend has this question. He wants to know if you can hack another person while that person is using his computer.

He wants to know if he can for example, open Chrome without that person seeing that chrome is opening on the screen.

Pretty much just open any other program/file while the hacked person is using the computer but without his screen showing what is been opened.

Is it possible?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    You can use a few attack methods to see what he's doing, for example you can view his firefox/ie/opera/safari/whatever browser session.

I'm not sure if the regular Windows versions allow you to go RDP ( Remote Desktop ) while the user is using the PC just like you can with the Windows Server series, perhaps it can be done with the help of another program ( VNC, TeamViewer, for example, I'm not sure if it's possible even with an external app ).
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    You can use a few attack methods to see what he's doing, for example you can view his firefox/ie/opera/safari/whatever browser session.

I'm not sure if the regular Windows versions allow you to go RDP ( Remote Desktop ) while the user is using the PC just like you can with the Windows Server series, perhaps it can be done with the help of another program ( VNC, TeamViewer, for example, I'm not sure if it's possible even with an external app ).
    Yeah, thats exactly what I told him. Monitoring should not be a problem at all. However, using the victim's computer WHILE he is using it, at least to my knowledge would not be possible. Opening chrome for example would show up on the victim's screen revealing an intruder.

What I told him you can do is probably with an advanced hacking program check the victim's browser history, cookies and files maybe by extracting the data by uploading it from the victim PC and then downloading it to the attacker's PC. Other than that, I dont see how the user would not notice there is an intruder.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    No.

Windows desktop is not a multiuser system, only one person can log on and use the computer at once. That is the same for RDP. Windows server is a multiuser system and terminal services/Citrix achieves that task. VNC and Dameware allow shared sessions on Windows desktop but the user at the screen can always see what is happening.

Monitoring is something entirely different. It is possible to read and edit files from the victims machine and upload to that machine whilst they use it without them knowing. Remote command line sessions are also possible on Windows desktop. Anyhing that uses the Windows GUI will be seen.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

I have an additional question for everyone. My boyfriend has had problems with his yahoo and his craiglist being hacked before.

Recently I went into his browsing history in his laptop (he uses google chrome) and i saw that he was looking at the sexual adds in craiglist. He says that he didn't do it and he is blaming the hackers. This happened January 19th and that day he was in Mcdonalds using their wifi. That day around noon he emailed me an add from craiglists for personal trainers (because I am one) and right after that you can see in the browsing history that all the sex adds started to show up. If he was using google chrome at that exact time is there any possibility that someone else would have been able to use it as well and look at those post remotely? or is that impossible?

I was suppose to marry him and I don't think I can trust him anymore.

Thank for the help.
    and how savvy are you guys about this type of topic?

This thread is hilarious
    8150 @ 4.8Ghz
    ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    8Gb G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series
    ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II
    Corsair HX1000
    Corsair 600T
    Corsair H100

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by doonsy View Post
    This thread is hilarious
    The whole thread?
    What do you find so funny?

Do you have anything constructive to say?

@checi: It seems that you don't trust you boyfriend anyway. Why else would you spy on him?
    Marriage should be based on trust. I love my partner, not as much as I should, she deserves better but I trust her like I trust the sun will rise in the morning.
    Last edited by s1nykuL; 04-27-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by s1nykuL View Post
    The whole thread?
    What do you find so funny?

Do you have anything constructive to say?

@checi: It seems that you don't trust you boyfriend anyway. Why else would you spy on him?
    Marriage should be based on trust. I love my partner, not as much as I should, she deserves better but I trust her like I trust the sun will rise in the morning.
    I'm allowed to comment on the ignorance in this thread being hilarious. I actually expected a thread such as this to be locked immediately and not let run wild with script kiddie dreams and rainbows.

100% checi is trolling and slim142 needs to read some words on the internet.

I understand your need to be a white knight, but some times you just need to put a limp horse down.
    8150 @ 4.8Ghz
    ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II
    Corsair HX1000
    Corsair 600T
    Corsair H100

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by checi View Post
    I have an additional question for everyone. My boyfriend has had problems with his yahoo and his craiglist being hacked before.

Recently I went into his browsing history in his laptop (he uses google chrome) and i saw that he was looking at the sexual adds in craiglist. He says that he didn't do it and he is blaming the hackers. This happened January 19th and that day he was in Mcdonalds using their wifi. That day around noon he emailed me an add from craiglists for personal trainers (because I am one) and right after that you can see in the browsing history that all the sex adds started to show up. If he was using google chrome at that exact time is there any possibility that someone else would have been able to use it as well and look at those post remotely? or is that impossible?

I was suppose to marry him and I don't think I can trust him anymore.

Thank for the help.
    and how savvy are you guys about this type of topic?
    Let me have this clear, his browser history shows he visited the sexual content section in craigslist after sending you the personal trainers stuff?

If so then my guess is: He visited craigslist a little too many times and got curious once he saw the adults section.

Let me put it this way: If I wanted to look up the sexual content in craigslist, I would not bother to hack into another's computer. There are many other options which would allow me to browse the internet while "hiding" and not leaving traces (like Incognito mode in Chrome, Proxys etc).

I was not spying my boyfriend...I really need help, please!!!!!!

Hi again guys!
    I truly need help because we were going to get marry on December and now I do not know what to do..
    My boyfriend insists. He says he is totally innocent. He says he was looking to job posts at Craiglist using a wi-fi spot at Macdonalds because he doesn't have Internet connection at home.
    He and some of his friends believe that the hacker was posting sex ads on Craiglist from his Craiglist's account because they need to use approved accounts or they are flag.
    He thinks that the same hacker was checking the answers that he got for his posts and checking other ads from my boyfriend's laptop.
    Now, the most horrible thing is that this drama began by chance. Last Sunday I was going to help him post some pictures on a Cragilist's ad that he has there for selling a machine and getting some more money for the wedding. He gave me his Craiglist's password. Then I found that close to the machine ad he had some expired ads (2 from 2011 and 3 from 2013) and those were m4m ads. Horrible!
    He said immediately that he had no idea that those were there because when he went recently to post the machine ad he posted directly from his Iphone without noticing that he had those 5 other.
    Then, as I felt confused, I checked his laptop's history and found the Craiglist's search I mentioned in my previous message.
    If he was checking those sex ads (bisexual) he is a big liar because he told me that he was the most faithful man on earth. He is a widower. He was married for 20 years.
    I am a widow, I was married for 24 years and I do consider fidelity one of the requisites for marriage.
    I need to know if you believe it would be possible that his story would be true.
    Is it possible that a hacker would use your Google Chrome at the same time than you hiding himself?
    Thanks a lot! I love him and I thought he truly loved me!

Xtreme Addict
    Hi again guys!
    I truly need help because we were going to get marry on December and now I do not know what to do..
    My boyfriend insists. He says he is totally innocent. He says he was looking to job posts at Craiglist using a wi-fi spot at Macdonalds because he doesn't have Internet connection at home.
    He and some of his friends believe that the hacker was posting sex ads on Craiglist from his Craiglist's account because they need to use approved accounts or they are flag.
    He thinks that the same hacker was checking the answers that he got for his posts and checking other ads from my boyfriend's laptop.
    Now, the most horrible thing is that this drama began by chance. Last Sunday I was going to help him post some pictures on a Cragilist's ad that he has there for selling a machine and getting some more money for the wedding. He gave me his Craiglist's password. Then I found that close to the machine ad he had some expired ads (2 from 2011 and 3 from 2013) and those were m4m ads. Horrible!
    He said immediately that he had no idea that those were there because when he went recently to post the machine ad he posted directly from his Iphone without noticing that he had those 5 other.
    Then, as I felt confused, I checked his laptop's history and found the Craiglist's search I mentioned in my previous message.
    If he was checking those sex ads (bisexual) he is a big liar because he told me that he was the most faithful man on earth. He is a widower. He was married for 20 years.
    I am a widow, I was married for 24 years and I do consider fidelity one of the requisites for marriage.
    I need to know if you believe it would be possible that his story would be true.
    Is it possible that a hacker would use your Google Chrome at the same time than you hiding himself?
    If it was in his browser history it's HIGHLY likely to be him, or someone with physical access to his computer.

It is technically possible that someone could use remote desktop (RDP), or other types of remote desktop to do this remotely. However that is very unlikely as several conditions must be met, also the intruder would be detected very easily.

Men are curious it is very natural, and you probably have a hard time finding one that is not. I have run into situations where I'm like "well hey im gonna check that out "
    However the posting adds thing, that goes way too far IMHO.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNutz View Post
    If it was in his browser history it's HIGHLY likely to be him, or someone with physical access to his computer.

It is technically possible that someone could use remote desktop (RDP), or other types of remote desktop to do this remotely. However that is very unlikely as several conditions must be met, also the intruder would be detected very easily.

Men are curious it is very natural, and you probably have a hard time finding one that is not. I have run into situations where I'm like "well hey im gonna check that out "
    However the posting adds thing, that goes way too far IMHO.
    whatever happened to bros before hoes. cmon guys.....
    8150 @ 4.8Ghz
    ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II
    Corsair HX1000
    Corsair 600T
    Corsair H100

Xtreme Addict
    Hi again guys!
    Hello,
    Welcome to XtremeSystems!

I don't think it's hackers or viruses. Your fiancee is just watching the adds and that's ok, no problem at all. Men like to do that and it's not a bad thing. I'm sure he loves you dearly. Probably if you didn't push him against the ropes so hard he wouldn't lie to you.
    Now please tell him to come over here, I have some advice for him *cough donotmarryapersonwhochecksyourlaptopshistory *cough cough