Thread: Homemade liquid nitrogen generator using JT throttle and regenerative cooling

Homemade liquid nitrogen generator using JT throttle and regenerative cooling

Hello all. I found this site and thought I could post what I have been up to and ask for advice from those who may have worked on a similar project. I have been building a homemade LN2 generator. It is not a cryocooler. I don't use premade cooling devices. Mine is built from the bottom up like Linde's original device.

I plan on making a better video, but I finally collected my first batch of liquid air. Using pure N2 will be soon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Go9b2eMiHQ

I am just wondering if anyone has done this before at home? I am still trying to improve my regenerative cooling coils. Also, does anyone have experience with the joule thomson throttle? Specifically, is there an optimum design for expanding the compressed gas?

Thanks.

I have wondered but never tried, I knew that I could condense other gases from the air but never tried to capture.

I am one of the few with a working helium compressor and a cold head that needs to be reworked into something useful.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Where did you get your helium cold head from and how much was it? Originally, I thought of doing it that way, but I wanted to do it without using pre-made technology (other than the compressor).

The few I saw on Ebay were over $1000.

Ebay!

I purchased a CVI compressor for $138 delivered about 8 years ago and it came with a cold head. I planned to rework the cold head into a LN2 pot but I never was not able to get the aluminum fittings installed correctly with good seals from stainless quick releases. I purchased a few extra LHe hoses under charge and one day I may attempt again.

Last edited by Charles Wirth; 04-25-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID