Thread: Swiftech Maelstrom

Xtreme Addict

Swiftech Maelstrom

Hello everybody,

Gosh, it's been a long time since i've posted 'round these parts. Been out of the PC game for a while, but am looking to reignite my interest with a new build and a new loop. I'm looking at the Maelstrom w/ 2 x 35x's - does anybody have any experience with this setup, and has it worked well for you? All comments and tips about the maelstrom are much appreciated. Things like noise, how well it bleeds (I seem to remember difficulties with Koolance's dual-pump bay res unit), etc.

Ta, fellas.

As an aside, loop is looking like this: Apogee HD --> PA120.2 (old fan spacing) --> PA 120.2 (old fan spacing) --> Watercool 79x0 FC --> SR120 --> SR120 --> Maelstrom

Anything glaring about that setup? Each arrow also indicates quick disconnects, either Swiftech's new no-spills or the old Koolance one's I've got lying around, so the dual pumps will help push past that restriction. I might try a hybrid parallel / serial with two outlets of the apogee going to the 2 single rads as well, but then I have to mess around with getting that flow back into the loop, something I haven't really thought through yet.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Member
    I have Swiftech Maelstrom with 2x35x and all i can say is that it is much better bleed then koolance version. Altough running pumps ~70% will suck air into system if you dont fill res all the way full(pumps 100% and max water in res).
    Asus Rampage IV Formula X79 | EK-MOSFET ASUS RF4 - Acetal Copper
    Core i7-3630K@4.5GHz 1.4V | EK-Supreme HF - Full Copper
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Kit Ripjaws Z (4x4GB), DDR3 1600MHz, CL 9
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC | EK-FC Titan SE Copper - Plexi Full Cover | EK-FC Titan SE Backplate
    Corsair AX1200i
    Samsung 256gb 830
    Intel SSD 160GB X25-M G2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobsters View Post
    I have Swiftech Maelstrom with 2x35x and all i can say is that it is much better bleed then koolance version. Altough running pumps ~70% will suck air into system if you dont fill res all the way full(pumps 100% and max water in res).
    Suck air into the res? Isn't there an o-ring on the screw cap?

Thanks for your information. It's good to hear it bleeds well.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Member
    nono, not outside, but remaining air in res as the flow will be so strong that it will create wortex into the pump inlet area. Atleast i need to get rid allmost all air in reservoir if i dont want that to happen.
    Asus Rampage IV Formula X79 | EK-MOSFET ASUS RF4 - Acetal Copper
    Core i7-3630K@4.5GHz 1.4V | EK-Supreme HF - Full Copper
    G.Skill 16GB Quad Kit Ripjaws Z (4x4GB), DDR3 1600MHz, CL 9
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC | EK-FC Titan SE Copper - Plexi Full Cover | EK-FC Titan SE Backplate
    Corsair AX1200i
    Samsung 256gb 830
    Intel SSD 160GB X25-M G2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I haven't used the maelstrom as I avoid bay reservoirs in general. However the mcp35x2 is a great pump and I love PWM functionality. For a quiet setup it is louder than I'd like when at full power, but of course with PWM you don't have to run it at full power. If you want a quieter setup (albeit less powerful) I'd go with a double D5 PWM setup. Both alphacool and XSPC have dual D5 compatible reservoirs in addition to Koolance. I have all three, though I've yet to try any expect the Koolance (r 1.3 version) which I did find a PITA to bleed.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm set on the 35x's because of their PWM functionality. The loudness of the system won't bother me much. Dual D5's are an attractive option simply from a reliability viewpoint, though, but with two pumps, redundancy is there should one fail.
    -

Xtreme Mentor
    I have one with two 35x pumps and it works great. The PMW feature keeps them pretty quiet most of the time. Bleeding is pretty easy, but as someone already said, you need to get it as full as possible with the pumps running on high to get all the air out and prevent the air from being sucked back in. Don't worry about flow, it will have enough.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    I have one with two 35x pumps and it works great. The PMW feature keeps them pretty quiet most of the time. Bleeding is pretty easy, but as someone already said, you need to get it as full as possible with the pumps running on high to get all the air out and prevent the air from being sucked back in. Don't worry about flow, it will have enough.
    I see. When bleeding the system, it would make more sense to me to only have one pump active anyway. Thanks for the tips on the vortex, will definitely have to make sure I fill to the top.

I was surprised that I couldn't find all that many posts or reviews on the Maelstrom. Seems like it would be attractive to users as it is so space-efficient.
    -

Xtreme Member
    Perhaps this will help. Good luck.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ight=Maelstrom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Corsair 850 tx psu; Dell 27" monitor
    XSPC rx rads; Apogee xt2; gtx680+Heatkiller fc; mcp655's in EK-D5 top
    distilled water + silver in MasterKleer 7/16" ID on 1/2" barbs & compressions