Thread: New (?) waterblock block idea...

Xtreme Member

New (?) waterblock block idea...

Crikey, I`m a busy boy on the forums today aren`t I :o)

Anyway, I was just looking at my generic tower-type cooler when it occurred to me just what a great waterblock it would make if you ditched the fans and engineered a flow of water over the fins instead - tricky but do-able I`m sure. The surface area would clearly dwarf even the most finely milled traditional block and boost flow to boot.

Thoughts?

Xtreme Mentor
    Still have to rely on the efficiency of the heatpipes which are not as good as a waterblock.

Still, if you could do it it would be better temps than the basic fans. Water will be able to remove more heat due to the higher density of water.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Still have to rely on the efficiency of the heatpipes which are not as good as a waterblock.
    This is where it gets me pondering though - obviously we know that the thermal conductivity of a well-designed heatpipe is loads greater than that of copper, so maybe with one of those heat-pipe-directly-against-the-heatspreader-type coolers WOULD push the heatspreader/water delta below that of an ordinary block, as the interface would be a heatpipe rather than a lump of copper (except the negligible thickness of the wall of the heatpipe obviously).

Worth a try at least...

Xtreme Member
    Can`t upload a pic - it just says it`s not a valid image file no matter what I do. Tried PNG, JPG, everything. Must be MSPaint or something.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hello .. try and use a image hosting site like imgur or something..
    Once the image uploads , Copy the link under the Linked BBCode (message boards) option and paste it here.
    That should do it

Intel Core i7 3960x | 3x Intel Core i7 980x | 3x Intel Core i7 920 | 2x Intel Core i7 2600k | 2x AMD opteron 6282 SE | 3x Asus Rampage II Extreme | 2x Asus Rampage III Extreme | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 1x Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | 2x Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | Asus KGPE-D16 | 3x 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1600 Cl7 | 1x Patriot Viper II 6GB 2000 Cl8 | 3x Corsair Hx1000 | 4x Corsair Ax 1200 | 3x Antec 1200 | 4x Corsair Obsidian 800D | 2x Intel 80Gb G2 SSD | 4x Kingston HyperX 120GB | 2x Vertex 2 120GB | 2xWD 150GB Velociraptor + 1x WD 300GB Velociraptor +5TB | Msi Nvidia Gtx 295 | Msi Ati 4870x2 OC Edition | 2x Msi Ati 4890 OC Editions| 2x Sapphire Ati 5870's| Sapphire 5970 OC Edition | 2x Msi Gtx 460 | 3x Sapphire 6970 | 3x Asus Gtx 580 | 3x Asus 7970

Xtreme Member

There it is.

Thoughts?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The reason heatpiping is more efficient than a chunk of copper with fins is in the efficiency in which it moves the heat away from the heat source and spreads it out over a larger area, to be cooled by air.

The thing is, that's the same thing you're doing with water. moving the heat away from the heat source and then cooling it with air. Water cooling is basically a big-ass heatpipe. The reason it's better at cooling than a heatpipe system is because the radiator allows you to get a much larger surface area than a heatpipe-based cpu cooler. That's why the tiny single-fan radiator systems barely out perform a heatpipe based air system (and sometimes they don't).

Then there's the fact you can adjust the flow of the watercooling system to flow more water to allow for larger heat sources. You can't adjust a heatpipe system so well.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Member
    Agreed but I`m thinking purely of the IHS to water interface, nothing else.

Xtreme Guru
    Extra layers/members in heat transfer will only make things worse. Better follow KISS principle and get normal waterblock. Will be simpler, more compact, better looker, will cool better and will be cheaper.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    It's been tried, doesn't work well at all. Water specific heat value and thermal conductivity properties are drastically different and why waterblock designs are so micro. Heat pipes act like the water flow but not quite as good. You end up with a tower of fins that are all water temperature and the only conductivity occurring near the base. No need for all that surface area under water. The extra material end up being more of a bottleneck and insulator.

HSF use heatpipes to move heat to the air exchange. In WC you use the water. Huge difference between water and air you have to think on two different scales.

Xtreme Member
    Fair enough then x

Xtreme Addict
    I second what martinm say's

Converting Air heatsinks to waterblocks have been tried several times back in the day, all with disappointing results.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Member
    ...still plugging away at this one...

1). We know direct-die water doesn`t work because water`s thermal conductivity is too low to grab the heat in time.

2). Therefore, we use a heatspreader made of copper with as much surface area as we can mill. OK.

3). We don`t use use silver or diamond for obvious reasons. OK.

4). Heat-piping has thermal conductivity way beyond even diamond.

=> use heat-piping as the heat-spreader.

So the problem is that that heat-piping is not homogeneous in the way a lump of material is: as stated above, all the action would be at the bottom and the vapour would never reach the top of the pipes.

I will continue thinking about this some more...

Xtreme Addict
    Have you taken a look at vapor chambers, often found in GPU heatsinks these days?

And don't forget the spreading effect of micropin arrays in waterblocks. I believe it's already been established that even making the pins taller, hits the point of minimal returns extremely quickly. There may be less improvement possible in that department than we'd like.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Mentor
    Vapor chambers are heat pipes. Just a new marketing name. Works just the same.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    OK, had an idea - watch this space...