Thread: [Help] Black stains on acrylic and plastic?

I am Xtreme

Unhappy [Help] Black stains on acrylic and plastic?

Hi folks,

I seem to have run into trouble with my water cooling loop.

I built my loop around 6 months ago, everything is new, except for the pump which is being reused. Most parts are nickel plated, MCP35x pump, Bitspower acrylic reservoir, Primochill Liquid Utopia additive (which obviously didn't do squat).

A couple of days ago I found some black stains in my reservoir. I drained the loop.

The issue: there are some black stains on my acrylic reservoir, and plastic parts of the pump (MCP35x), and they are very difficult to get off. I've never seen anything like that before. Most of it is near the bottom of the reservoir, and is on plastic parts of the pump (for example, the blue impeller of the pump turned completely black, and it took a lot of rubbing to get its top back to normal). Some of it is on metallic parts and fittings close to the pump, but that was much easier to clean off. I have not opened the blocks yet, will do it today.

There is basically some sort of thin black film, which is fused with the surface, and it takes a lot of rubbing to get off. I tried using dish washing liquid, it's not helping at all.

So, here are some questions:

1. What is this crap? Is this some sort of algae? It's almost completely black.

2. How do I get it off? Some parts of the pump are impossible to reach without breaking it. Can I use some chemicals to wash it off without rubbing? I really don't want to buy a new pump.

3. After I clean it, is it safe to reuse the parts? Pump being the biggest issue. What if some of it, somewhere, doesn't come off? Will it spread across the loop?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor
    Pics of the stuff your talking about. Pics of block internals.

Was it black dye?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Addict
    Pics!

May be nickel oxide. Iv'e seen nickle come off fittings and deposit as a black coating on other parts.

So here's what you can do.
    Use this: http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm
    On the plastic parts only. Mix it 50/50 with water, dip the part for 10 seconds, use some tool (toohbrush) to see if the crap is coming off easy.

DO NOT USE on plated parts, it will strip the plating. You can use it on you DDC impellers, just don't leave in the solution longer that 30 secs. And rinse the part thoroughly with fresh water.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Member
    Did you use black tubing? Plasticizer can smear acrylic reservoirs. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Corsair 850 tx psu; Dell 27" monitor
    XSPC rx rads; Apogee xt2; gtx680+Heatkiller fc; mcp655's in EK-D5 top
    distilled water + silver in MasterKleer 7/16" ID on 1/2" barbs & compressions

I am Xtreme
    No dye. Just distilled with Primochill additive. I actually used it in my old build, had no issues.

Yes on both black tubing and nickle plated fittings (XSPC). Not sure which one is at fault.

What's even more strange, I recall that this stuff, whatever it is, started emerging upwards from the pump. I wonder if something started giving up in the pump. Used it for over 2 years now.

Thanks for the suggestion, CrazyNutz. I will try to source the chemicals.

Thank you, all.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I had the same issue except my whole IandH acrylic tube was blackened, so I'm interested in what this was. S'all good though, I cleaned the loop out and bought a replacement acrylic tube.

I am Xtreme
    Pics for those curious. Yes, I spent quite a bit of time cleaning it by now, it looked a lot worse before. Hard to get into small openings, unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by h20xide View Post
    I had the same issue except my whole IandH acrylic tube was blackened, so I'm interested in what this was. S'all good though, I cleaned the loop out and bought a replacement acrylic tube.
    A couple of fittings attached to the res are stained as well. How did you go about cleaning those?

I was told to boil them for 5 minutes in water, then brush them with some toothpaste. Wonder if nickel plated fittings would be OK after that...

P.S. By the way, unlikely that fittings are at fault. They look fine other than the stuff that's stuck to those attached to the res.
    Last edited by zalbard; 04-20-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Addict
    Did you even consider trying the CLR? I'm pretty sure it will bring it back to new.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNutz View Post
    Did you even consider trying the CLR? I'm pretty sure it will bring it back to new.
    I will try to source something similar locally. Unfortunately, I am from the EU. :-)
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Mentor
    Look up CLR. I'm' sure you have the same stuff there. Common chemicals, used for household cleaning, nothing special.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H