Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Massive Water Chiller

Administrator
    argh I hate using dielectric grease

Xtreme Addict
    I will limit its use to spaces that I can't cover with anything else. I'm going to experiment with the block. In spaces that are slightly raised I'll coat it with a light adhesive then use a spray foam that I can level with the contact points and see how that works. However the big gap where the capacitors are will be filled with grease given . I'm going to mold a piece of foam around the base of the capacitors, then fill the gap in the block to encase the tops. I am considering using a ceramic thermal grease in that space, but that would be a lot more expensive than dielectric grease.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Administrator
    Sorry if I missed this, but what GPU's are you planning on using ?

Xtreme Addict
    LOL... depends on what is out...

I intend on using 7950 Radeon cards.... Likely 3 of them. The machine will be part folding, part workstation, part gaming machine... I know its overkill.... but I tend to hang on to these things for years.... The computer I use at home is nearing 6 years old now.... hehe....
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Actually, if I want to use that Heatkiller block (preferred)... It looks like I'd have to use 7970s... Which is fine... just a bit more..
    Regards, Stew.....

Would putting rubber eraser in the capacitor area of the cpu not be enough or even adequate for insulation? I'm a newb at insulating and decided to go with some rubber eraser, but not sure about the small gaps especially around the immediate socket area.

Xtreme Addict
    Rubber eraser is popular, but I don't like its workability. On a CPU socket it isn't as big of a deal close in because most motherboards have a decent amount of space. But I'd rather not be applying pressure to a graphics card in that way. There are several areas under the full cover block that would be a bit hard to cover with eraser reliably. Not to mention the stress it would place on the PCB given the uneven compression of the block.

For such an application, I prefer to use materials that will allow for some compression, while insulating somewhat effectively. As far as the CPU socket, I probably still won't use eraser. The jury is still out on that. Though, it will likely involve a more dense polyurethane foam or similar at the core (the part of the insulation that doesn't contact capacitors). Anything that contacts the capacitor area, I want it to be soft. Some polyurethane foams expand in such a way that they create a lot of stress and could probably separate a few capacitors from the board... So I won't be using anything like that near capacitors.

That said, rubber eraser isn't something I'm going to chastise.. it obviously works to serve a purpose. I'd just rather use something else.
    Regards, Stew.....

Administrator
    Microwave that eraser for 20-30 seconds first, it becomes very workable

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, but you're talking about using fingers... Its not going to be very smooth, and you still have to apply more pressure than I'm comfortable applying on expensive electronics.. Plus, how much does it contract when it cools??? I feel more comfy with a mold and some urethane foam...
    Regards, Stew.....

Administrator
    LOL Stew, it works great man, I have used it like a million times.

I just applied it all around the socket and back of the board. Seems great and I didn't have to apply much preassure to be honest I actually filled the cavity of the socket too and machine is up and running great.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, like I said, I'm primarily concerned about using it under a full cover GPU block. I need to have complete contact in a consistent manner that is repeatable. Rubber eraser is more apt to the CPU socket. It makes a good vapor barrier. I am indeed considering it for the CPU socket area.

Its the GPU I'm more concerned about. I have actually considered utilizing a ceramic thermal grease as a vapor barrier... It won't conduct electricity so I can spread it like peanut butter. It will fill all of the caps, and then I can seal it in with a soft calking compound. hehe... I dunno, just thinking... Might be ultra expensive, though...
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    The project shall continue >=). I got the Cedar Planks for the base. I'm going to surface them and then I'll begin to assemble the base.

Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Today was all about the bottom frame.

The outer base is made out of cedar. Not only is it easy to work with, but its light weight. The pine studs are going to carry the weight of the chiller to the floor. The cedar will carry some on each end, but the sides will only do so indirectly. After talking design with pops, I elected not to utilize a plywood floor. It is generally unnecessary and will give no additional support given that the chiller already has a base.

I can see that carrying this thing might be difficult...

By completing this base, I will be able to route the piping and the final wiring connections successfully. The refrigeration loop is complete. Gauges are installed, and only the water loop must be completed on both sides of the refrigeration loop.

Oh... and boy I love the smell of cedar... hehe.

Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    As it turns out, the "contraption" wasn't as heavy as I thought it would be. The design actually worked out quite well. The measurements worked out quite well.

Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    The measurements were right on. The red circled flare elbow will pass through the base and will run beneath. The second image shows where the inner frame is. The placement worked out so well that I'll be able to clamp the insulated tubing right to the stud.

Proud of my work hehe.

That's it so far.

Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme 3D Team
    Looks really good Stew, almost like you know what your doing!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby View Post

Xtreme Addict
    I'll take that as sarcasm and not an insult...

I was psyched because usually when I try to measure for placement I @#$%$# something up...
    Last edited by Stewie007; 09-29-2013 at 07:07 AM.
    Regards, Stew.....

-150c Club Member

A part of me just died from oxygen deprivation after all the laughter.
    But seriously, this thing looks great.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    I'll take that as sarcasm and not an insult...
    Was certainly not an insult. I am truly impressed by your build and fab skills and like I said before, can't wait to see it in action!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby View Post
    Was certainly not an insult. I am truly impressed by your build and fab skills and like I said before, can't wait to see it in action!
    I know that. hehe... I just got a kick out of it because it reminded me of how giddy I was when I measured after the placement. I'm not used to the feeling of satisfaction...hehehe

There is always some way I'm going to nitpick something that I've done because something didn't end up to be EXACTLY as I had planned. This time it worked out EXACTLY as planned.... Probably because I listened to my old man for a change and developed a proper base design.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    I love this build i might have to see it in action one day BF4 needs this
    Intel i5 3570K@4.6ghz, Swiftech Apogee GTZ, mcp655, Typhoon III and mcr320
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 8GB 2000 cl9, M4 128GB SSD, 2TB W-D green USB3.0
    MSI 7870 HAWK 1300gpu /1450mem, ASUS VG23AH 23" IPS 3D 72hz
    PCP&C 750W in CM651 case
    89 Ford Mustang coupe burnt orange on chrome ponies
    Bum & Hater #1
    HEATWARE: d50man

Xtreme Addict
    I am hoping to complete wiring this weekend, as well as the routing of the final piping. I am not certain if I'll be able to charge the unit, however. I still don't have any glycol, and its expensive. I've changed my mind and decided to go with Ethylene Glycol; its better for low temp apps.

Either way, I'm going to try to do a final evacuation and possibly an initial charge. That remains to be seen, though....
    Regards, Stew.....

WOW. Fantatic Project. Looking really nice.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast