Thread: Asteroid@Home linux process

[Resolved] Asteroid@Home linux process

I just signed up my laptop running LinuxMint to A@H. I have discovered that the tasks are set to a Very Low process state. As a result, BOINC keeps seeing a CPU busy state stopping and starting the Task.

I can do a sudo renice -10 -p 1918, but that only effects that one process 1918 (that one task).

I think there is a way to set the process name to a -10 setting so as a new task is started with a new pid number, the process name (which remains the same) will kick in and give the process a higher priority.

My problem is I need some help. What is the command to accomplish this? ionice? If so, what is the command line? I tried ionice -c 2 -n 0 <process name>, but got a rejection because the <process name> was not a filename. Obviously, I am missing something in my studying/reading.

Thanks to all those smarter than me...
    Last edited by Gandalf; 04-20-2013 at 06:59 PM.

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer" [Douglas Adams (11 March 1952 - 11 May 2001)]

Xtreme Cruncher
    BOINC runs at low priority by design. Are you saying that BOINC is seeing some other process use CPU and it's pausing WU? If so, go to Computing preferences (Or change it on the website) and set the "While processor usage less than: " to 0.

I'm almost always available on Steam to chat. Same username.

Quote Originally Posted by jspace View Post
    BOINC runs at low priority by design. Are you saying that BOINC is seeing some other process use CPU and it's pausing WU? If so, go to Computing preferences (Or change it on the website) and set the "While processor usage less than: " to 0.
    "While processor usage less than: " is set to zero by default. I've never changed it. I've decided to change the Laptop's project back to WCG. While it still takes a long time to process the Tasks, I've never seen it stop WCG work for in house computer duties. They may have happened and I just never noticed it.

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer" [Douglas Adams (11 March 1952 - 11 May 2001)]