Thread: Intel Xeon 2013-2014 processors detailed

Xtreme Member

Intel Xeon 2013-2014 processors detailed

http://wccftech.com/intel-xeon-20132...n-e7-15-cores/
    Intel Xeon 2013-2014 Processors Detailed Xeon E5-2600/4600 V2 To Sport 12 Cores, Xeon E7 With 15 Cores

Intel Xeon E5-2600/4600 V2 and E7-8800 V2 Processors Detailed

In Q3 2013 (July/August), Intel would launch their Grantely platform which would consist of the Ivy Bridge-EP based Xeon E5-2600 V2 lineup. The Intel Xeon E5-2600 V2 family would be enabled for 2 socket operations and feature upto 12 cores, 24 thread, 30 MB of L3 cache and quad-channel DDR3-1866 server memory support per socket. The faster clocked models would end up with a TDP of 130 ? 115 W while the 10 core parts would carry a TDP of 70W. All chips would be compatible with the C600 series chipset on LGA 2011 socketed workstation boards.

In Q4 2013, between October and November, Intel is planning to unveil their 4 socket enabled Ivy Bridge-EN parts based around the Xeon E5-4600 V2 family. Specifications wise the Intel Xeon E5-4600 V2 are similar to the Ivy Bridge-EP parts but offer 4 socket operations over them. Clock speeds would range around the 3 GHz mark.

Intel is also preparing to replace their Westmere EX family with Ivy Bridge-EX in Q1 2014. The new Intel Xeon E7 8800/4800/2800 v2 family would fall under the high-end enterprise level Brickland platform that spans three generations of CPU architectures including Haswell-EX and Broadwell-EX as detailed here. The Intel Xeon E7-8800 v2 family would be enabled for 8 Socket and 8 socket plus solutions for enterprise market and would boast 15 cores with 30 threads. The Brickland platform would be based on the C600 Series chipset. The new EX Processors would also be able to support ECC DDR3-1600 and DDR4-2133/2400/3200 memory configurations along with a new version of Quick Path Interface upgraded to v1.1 for v1.0.
    Finally some new beasts...

8 sockets X 15 cores/30 threads... 120 cores/240 threads... that's one hell of a beast right there... Probably not below $10k easy for such a config.

Now if they could do a 8 sockets/16 PCI-E slots, that would be epic... put 16 titans on there and laugh your ass off! I know that's impossible but an Xtremer can dream!
    Last edited by vitchilo; 04-10-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The E7 CPUs are going to be $5k a piece if history has taught us anything...

Xtreme Member
    Wow that much?? I thought at most they were going to be $2k a piece... Intel is overpricing their stuff, as always...

I am Xtreme
    E7 is not for consumers or even small/mid business, its for mission critical stuff and there you don't care when your cpu is 10k+ when a error in the calculation costs you millions.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Now I know for a fact that Intel has tested and shown 15 core IB 22nm dualies but it seems like once again they aren't going to sell "the best" they have to customers due to lack of competition from AMD.
    A shame and only slows progress..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Time for everyone to stop buying intel to get there attention. Tell everyone you know that builds, etc, then send intel a nice letter to go f*&k themselves. Maybe get there attention.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Time for everyone to stop buying intel to get there attention. Tell everyone you know that builds, etc, then send intel a nice letter to go f*&k themselves. Maybe get there attention.
    There is the reality that if every single person from this forum and every other forum told everyone they knew that Intel wouldn't even notice the drop in sales..
    What they are doing is a very smart business model. Just is not good for society at large.
    Computational power equals advances in science and medicine and the more computational power the faster those advances come so I guess you could make an argument
    that Intel's business model contributes to some people dying before they should.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Now I know for a fact that Intel has tested and shown 15 core IB 22nm dualies but it seems like once again they aren't going to sell "the best" they have to customers due to lack of competition from AMD.
    A shame and only slows progress..
    It is indeed a shame, considering what Intel is truly capable of. Those chips you saw may be one off examples that Intel has absolutely zero intention of producing for public consumption, using the EX dies in a 2011 form factor. Intel is fully capable of taking their enterprise cores and putting them into a desktop form factor. Remember the first Extreme Edition? Gallatin 2M core slapped into a Socket 478 format with no fuss, muss or issue. The die shot will make it clear exactly how many cores are present and lay bare the total core count on the 22nm IB-E/EP die.

TBH, I just want the top dually chips to be unlocked, but it's doubtful they will be, considering Intel's recalcitrant attitude and insistence on total control over every MHz you are able to use. Many, many folks outside of our own little psychotic realm of insane enthusiasts would garner great advantage from such processors and there is a significant demand for them. But considering Intel is the only game in town, there is absolutely zero incentive for them to provide people with the products they want (and in many cases need).
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    There is the reality that if every single person from this forum and every other forum told everyone they knew that Intel wouldn't even notice the drop in sales..
    What they are doing is a very smart business model. Just is not good for society at large.
    Computational power equals advances in science and medicine and the more computational power the faster those advances come so I guess you could make an argument
    that Intel's business model contributes to some people dying before they should.
    the thing with logic like this is: you'd have to commit suicide. You, living, are taking up resources that someone else dying could be using to live (or to prevent themselves from getting into a dying state anyways).*

* totally disregarding the fact that everyone starts dying from the moment they're born (or even before, depending on which side of the abortion debate you're on)

EDIT:

technically, Intel is killing people by not giving away their stuff for free in the first place though lol

I wonder how much these will cost, most likely more than $2K, because the Xeon 2687w is around $2K.

But yes, Intel really needs to release a cheaper 8 core version for consumers, but I guess because there is no competition in the market, they aren't compelled to.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I want a drop-in replacement for my 2670s
    2x Dual E5 2670, 32 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 2xSeagate Constellation ES 2TB, 1KW PSU
    HP Envy 17" - i7 2630 QM, HD6850, 8 GB.
    i7 3770, GF 650, 8 GB, Transcend SSD 256 GB, 6x3 TB. 850W PSU

Xtreme Mentor
    intel will give more cores to consumers if and only if hyper threading fails on more daily scenarios.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    intel will give more cores to consumers if and only if hyper threading fails on more daily scenarios.
    Documents state HT will decrease in effectiveness on muti load programs of the future. Hate to say this but that future is still not written in stone, AMD has a good idea but truth be told currently even in muti core scenario it is not all rosy for AMD well at least they are trying with HSA. Intel will most likely wait and watch HSW has a potent iGPU but it will not at all match richland. The only plus for AMD from HSW is the CPU improvement which is not a lot and never was suppose to be a lot.

AMD should have released steamroller based APU rather than richland since they want to focus more on APU than FX series.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Documents state HT will decrease in effectiveness on muti load programs of the future. Hate to say this but that future is still not written in stone, AMD has a good idea but truth be told currently even in muti core scenario it is not all rosy for AMD well at least they are trying with HSA. Intel will most likely wait and watch HSW has a potent iGPU but it will not at all match richland. The only plus for AMD from HSW is the CPU improvement which is not a lot and never was suppose to be a lot.

AMD should have released steamroller based APU rather than richland since they want to focus more on APU than FX series.
    i lost my hope for it long time ago

Xtreme Member
    And then they wonder why computer sales are crashing... Intel won't release the good stuff... AMD and NVIDIA have delayed their new GPUs... then you've got the whole consoles/tablets thing slowing progress...

Hell the first 4 core cpu was released in 2006... it's been freaking 7 years and they still haven't released more than that for an affordable price! It's ridiculous! (well AMD has but their 8 cores chips still has a hard time against 4 cores/8 threads intel cpus)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by vitchilo View Post
    Hell the first 4 core cpu was released in 2006... it's been freaking 7 years and they still haven't released more than that for an affordable price! It's ridiculous! (well AMD has but their 8 cores chips still has a hard time against 4 cores/8 threads intel cpus)
    AMD's "8 core chips" have 4 fp units , just like intel i7. Those 4 fp units can do 2 threads each so AMD is positioned well there (8T vs 8T in fp workloads).

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Generic user #2 View Post
    the thing with logic like this is: you'd have to commit suicide. You, living, are taking up resources that someone else dying could be using to live (or to prevent themselves from getting into a dying state anyways).*

* totally disregarding the fact that everyone starts dying from the moment they're born (or even before, depending on which side of the abortion debate you're on)

EDIT:

technically, Intel is killing people by not giving away their stuff for free in the first place though lol
    I guess the point I was trying to make is that by not releasing the "best they have" they are slowing the potential advances that "could" be made.

Xtreme Mentor
    all about the point you look from

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    all about the point you look from
    That we will agree on..

Xtreme Addict
    Seems hard to believe Intel will be disabling half the cores for desktop Ivy Bridge-E - have to believe we will see at least an 8 core i7 XE.