Thread: Router Behind ICS; Networking Issues. Need Help!

Xtreme Enthusiast

Router Behind ICS; Networking Issues. Need Help!

Guys,

I'm having a strange networking issue; I've dealt with a lot of networking issues over the years but this one is slightly new to me and it's stumped me. I'll have to explain my setup in detail in order for you to understand what the problem is. Calling all network-guru's to chip in.

This is probably the best way I can explain this issue ...

I have some systems connected to a router, let's call them A, B & C.

System "C" has two NIC Cards; so I decided to share Internet connection using Windows 7 ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). This Ethernet cable runs straight into a 2nd router, which has a couple more systems connected to it. Let's call them D, E & F.

This 2nd Router is not being used as a router; but as a switch. I have the Ethernet connected to one of it's LAN port and not it's WAN port.

So now, we have A, B & C connected to ROUTER 1.
    We have D, E & F connected to ROUTER 2.

And Router 2 gets Internet from System "C" using it's 2nd NIC Card via ICS.

All systems have the same "WORKGROUP", and are on a "192.168.x.x" network.

Everyone is getting Internet absolutely fine.

By default, using ICS, it assigns a "192.168.137.x" IP Address to all systems receiving Internet via ICS. So systems D, E & F have a 192.168.137.xx IP Address.

Systems A, B & C all have a 192.168.1.xx IP Address.

Now here's the problem ....

I have shared network folders on all these systems. Systems A, B & C can see each other's shared network folders.

Systems D, E & F AND C can see each other's shared folders.

However -- A & B cannot see shared folders on D, E & F. And D, E & F cannot see shared folders on A & B.

C can see everything because it's connected to both routers via LAN.

How can I get A & B to see network folders on D, E & F??

Any suggestions?
    ~~ ++: Primary Rig :++ ~~

Alienware M17x-r2 [SPACE BLACK]
    Core i7-820QM | 17" 1200p RGBLED LCD | 8 GB DDR3-1333MHz | Dual 1GB Crossfire ATI 5870 | 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB 7200RPM HDDs) | Blu-ray Reader + DVD-DL Burner | Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Alienware Messenger Bag | Razer Orochi Bluetooth

you do not want to use ICS you want to select both nics and bridge the connections.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    you do not want to use ICS you want to select both nics and bridge the connections.
    Can you tell me exactly how to do this? I have never bridged connections before; or point me to a good place?

Thanks!

Core i7-820QM | 17" 1200p RGBLED LCD | 8 GB DDR3-1333MHz | Dual 1GB Crossfire ATI 5870 | 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB 7200RPM HDDs) | Blu-ray Reader + DVD-DL Burner | Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Alienware Messenger Bag | Razer Orochi Bluetooth

Xtreme Cruncher
    Since they are across different subnets try disabling the firewall on the computers, if it helps then you can narrow down the problem. You can ping from one subnet to the other?
    AMD FX 8350 @ 4.4Ghz
    Corsair H60
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
    8GB Mushkin Blackline @ 1800Mhz
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Crucial C300 SSD - Bootdrive
    2 x 640GB Samsung - 1.2TB RAID 0
    800GB Western Digital Green SATAII
    Corsair TX 750
    Coolermaster HAF932 - Modded by Blackstare

Quote Originally Posted by LUCI5R View Post
    Can you tell me exactly how to do this? I have never bridged connections before; or point me to a good place?

Thanks!
    make sure that the 2nd router has DHCP disabled, then on the computer with 2 nics select both of them, right click and hit bridge.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    make sure that the 2nd router has DHCP disabled, then on the computer with 2 nics select both of them, right click and hit bridge.
    Ok - I followed you advice and definitely made some progress; but I'm also stuck at a point.

So first I disabled the ICS (Sharing) on my main NIC Card by unchecking the box that allowed Internet Connection Sharing.
    Then, I selected both NIC Cards and clicked "Bridge Connections". That much seems to have worked well -- the system created a new connection called "Network Bridge" and got a new IP Address (192.168.1.12) from my main Router 1.

For the first time, systems A & B can now see Router 2 (Cisco E2000) which was behind the ICS. Before systems A & B could not see, ping or connect to the 2nd router which received Internet from the ICS. Now, using the Bridged Connection, systems A & B can not only see the 2nd router, but can also enter it's administration using the web browser. That is great!!

Here's the problem -- Now, no one can see the systems connected to this 2nd router -- including system C which has the 2 NIC Cards. Before on ICS, system C which has the 2 NIC Cards could see systems D, E & F, the 3 devices connected to the 2nd Router.

I made sure DHCP Server is turned OFF on my CISCO E2000 (2nd Router). So it's not acting as a router; but as a switch.

So how do I get everyone to see the devices connected to this 2nd router now?

Thanks!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    FIXED!!

Zanzabar --- Thank you very much for the advice & solution; it works!! Bridging the connection did exactly what I wanted to do. Now all the devices can see each other and are all on the same 192.168.1.X network. This is great.

For some reason, my device on Router 1 could not see the devices on Router 2 even after bridging the connection. So I decided to turn ON the DHCP Server on Router 2 and assign the devices an IP Address manually (using MAC addresses). After this I reboot everything and now all my devices can see each other. I know that it was suggested that I should turn OFF DHCP on router 2 ... but in my case for some reason, it actually works better with DHCP turned ON on router 2, so I'll keep it that way.

Thanks again. You solved it.