Thread: Joined XS but having issues

Xtreme Enthusiast

Joined XS but having issues

Here is what I am trying to run this on:
    Intel DZ77RE75K mobo w/3770K not OC'd.
    Samsung 128gb 840 pro (boinc)
    500GB WD (data)
    16GB ram
    Gigabyte 660ti 3gb GPU w/updated drivers. Not OC'd.
    Win7 Premium 64

The wu's (both short and long) keep restarting, like a loop. Have aborted them and suspended for now. Tried to look up on GPU grid to find a answer but haven't found anything. Am running WCG crunching 7 FAAH. Ideas?

Figured it out (i hope). Had to check use gpu while in use in the settings. Will try some short wu's to see how the 660ti works out.
    Last edited by bearcatrp; 04-07-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Linux those diseases
    The event log is a good place to start. Can you post the start up info? Did you install Boinc in unprotected mode? In Boinc preferences, is 'Use gpu while computer is in use' ticked?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Unprotected. I never install as a service. I ticked use gpu while in use and so far the issue is gone. Have noticed my cpu temps go up when this kicked in,(kind of surprised me) even dropping one thread to compensate. Will keep it on regular settings for a bit before deciding on bumping up the speed.

HWiNFO Author
    There are still several issues with new Noelia WUs, maybe you got one of them?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey folks, I currently run WCG along with GPU grid. 6 threads for WCG and 1 for GPU. My temps run around 165F in this config but can shut down GPU grid and crunch 8 threads for WCG and my temps stay around 145F. The case is a corsair 200 and the heat sink is a thermaltake with push/pull fans cranked at 1700 rpms. Is GPU grid that hard on the processor? Don't recall HCC1 raising my temps when I had a 6870 in this rig. Suggestions?

HWiNFO Author
    It might sound strange, but that depends on GPU you have. According to my experience, GPUGrid tasks run on Kepler family of GPUs seem to fully utilize 1 CPU core. I'm not sure about Fermi, but older GPUs for sure load the CPU much lighter. There has been a thread about this observation over on GPUGrid message board.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Hey folks, I currently run WCG along with GPU grid. 6 threads for WCG and 1 for GPU. My temps run around 165F in this config but can shut down GPU grid and crunch 8 threads for WCG and my temps stay around 145F. The case is a corsair 200 and the heat sink is a thermaltake with push/pull fans cranked at 1700 rpms. Is GPU grid that hard on the processor? Don't recall HCC1 raising my temps when I had a 6870 in this rig. Suggestions?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gigabyte 660ti

Xtreme Cruncher
    GPUGrid dumps a lot of heat from the gpu into the case, which can raise CPU temp. Much higher GPU usage than WCG had with hcc-gpu.
    Main: i7-930 @ 2.8GHz HT on; 1x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    2nd: i7-920 @ 2.66GHz HT off; 1x EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC 100% GPUGrid
    3rd: i7-3770k @ 3.6GHz HT on, 3 threads GPUGrid CPU; 2x GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti OC 100% GPUGrid
    Part-time: FX-4100 @ 3.6GHz, 2 threads GPUGrid CPU; 1x EVGA GTX 650 100% GPUGrid