Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HardForum user Vega: Quad Titan 5Ghz 24/7 rig -- Possibly world's fastest non-LN2 rig

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PedantOne View Post
    It possibly, fastest non LN2 gaming rig ... but definitely gaming rig with biggest micro-stuttering on the planet
    Oh please don't start that in this thread >_________________________<

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    As to IPS's, mine isnt perfect by any stretch (LG W3000H) but I do well in trackmania.. and if you've ever played that you know what "high speed" can mean
    I do well in TM on IPS screens too, but they do look like crap with this game

Awesome colors though, TM being as colorful as it is.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Member
    And this is "xtreme".

Not that "6,5 GHz bull overclocks" that last for 5 minutes just for the screenshot/picture. So useless.

Xtreme Guru
    Saddens me that so many XS users didn't even know of Lightboost... But yea this forum has never been big on display discussions as the display section is buried down deep. Needs more monitor performance lovin', not just image quality! ^^
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Mentor
    Yeah... XS just plain sucks when it comes to monitors... HardForum is way better in that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    Yeah, I'll definitely try it *before* I do anything with my 30"... I'm sort of wondering if it's just hype like the whole 120hz craze was (relatively) on Catleaps.
    It's not limp hype. If you can't take the time to read the TFT review I linked to then atleast watch this youtube review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzYZWbov8v4

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Saddens me that so many XS users didn't even know of Lightboost... But yea this forum has never been big on display discussions as the display section is buried down deep. Needs more monitor performance lovin', not just image quality! ^^
    I only really started to look in to this a few days ago. Starting to realize gaming on IPS generally sucks.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    I only really started to look in to this a few days ago. Starting to realize gaming on IPS generally sucks.
    I've owned six 120MHz panels. It's not an accident that I have two 25X16 panels again. 1080P at 27" on a TN panel is nice for high fps without tearing, but that's about it.

Cheap panel is cheap.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DefStar View Post
    This is the dumbest "News" thread I have ever read. I'm should post my neighbor's quad 7990 AMD system tomorrow, I think he has a web-sight about seeing tracers/blurring when your on acid.
    Agreed. This is just some guy bragging his super duper computer - or, that he had all that money available to spend on it. Otherwise it is not impressive.
    Considering that it was posted in HardForum Video Cards section, I suppose that the correct equivalent here should be Hardware/nVidia. At News section this makes absolutely no sense.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post
    It's not limp hype. If you can't take the time to read the TFT review I linked to then atleast watch this youtube review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzYZWbov8v4
    I know there is a large technical difference, but I mean in terms of how it actually plays and the practical benefits, vs. the huge deficits such as poor color, low brightness, small size, and low resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Eh, I have no real problems with it aside from disliking the blur during rapid pans (such as quickly turning around in Battlefield 3 to check my rear, etc.). I love how good the color looks on S-IPS panels, as well as the huge resolution, no color shift on the monitor top to bottom, and large size.
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 04-07-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    From my understanding, you need to calibrate both types of panel's, ips and tn.
    Though I've never owned an ips...
    But I do know the korea bargin bin screens, all of the 27/30in's ips high res screen's need calibration.
    Each monitor maker does things there own way, some seem to have similar osd layouts.
    Some like the catleap 2b pcb, have no osd, all the calibration needs to be done on the computer side.

Prob with tn's from my experience with those is that they usually need pretty serious calibration, especially since they are missing 2bits of data per color, it's kinda like watching dvd's...
    And the backlight bleed on the asus is horrible, I've thought about opening it up and sticking electrical tape around the edges or something to get rid of it.

Light boost, all I know is you need to fake that you have a ir transmitter hooked up.
    Or change the mode into a different one, red/blue glasses, etc all those diff modes (there's registry tweaks or something to enable these).
    And once the nvidia driver thinks you have a 3d vision setup plugged in and 3d mode enabled it'll go into light boost mode.
    There's a glitch where you can get it working in 2d mode lol but I haven't played with 3d in like a month or 2.
    I don't keep my ir transmitter plugged in when I'm not using it.
    Because I can never tell if the glasses are truly off otherwise, that's just me .
    And that's the only time it goes into light boost 2d, a glitch.

In 2d mode, I wouldn't beable deal with light boost on all the time.
    Mainly because most of my calibration goes down the drain if I use that mode.
    Now if there is a way to mod the monitor into always using light boost, in normal mode were everything is still adjustable, then I'm all for that.
    I got a flickering line, 1/4 line or so anyways, on the top right of the screen, in light boost mode the flicker is still there but it's not as bad because it syncs up with the display better.
    Once in a great while I'll get flicker in 3d, seems though if I restart the app it goes away.
    It would be nice though if we could do at least the 144hz 3d :\.

Oh one more thing I wanted to say.
    Surely an 72hz ips could be no worse in gaming then a 72hz tn...
    The 72hz or whatever tn's are usually 5ms or so gtg anyways.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 04-07-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I've owned six 120MHz panels.
    But do you own a lightboost capable panel, ahaaa...

I've just gone through Viewsonic V2770-LED and Asus PB278Q and look what I ended up with, Benq XL2420T a cheap panel as you say but of course I am a real gamer...(mind you I used to say the same)

IPS is great for slow mo and still pics but for fast past gaming you can't beat lightboost capable setup...
    Last edited by solofly; 04-07-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    My toys...
    Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4820K | Koolance CPU-380I w/Triple Rad/Swiftech Pump | RipjawsX 16GB 1866MHz | eVGA GTX 780 TRI-SLI | X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Intel 530 120GB *2 RAID 0, Intel 510 250GB, Samsung 840 Pro 120GB, Samsung 840 500GB, Kingston V300 240GB | Corsair AX1200i | In Win D-Frame Orange | Win 8.1 Pro 64
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 | i7 3770K | NH-C12P SE14 | Vengeance 32GB LP | eVGA GT 240 | X-Fi Titanium Fatality | LSI SAS 9211-4i | Intel 330 120GB, Seagate 500GB *2, Samsung 200GB, WD 320GB *4 RAID 10, 500GB, Raptor 74GB | Antec TPQ-1200W | Corsair 650D | Win 8.1 Pro 64
    Asus Sabertooth P67 | i7 2600K | NH-U12P SE2 | Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz | eVGA GTX 680 | Sound via HDMI | Intel 330 60GB, Samsung 840 Pro 120GB, WD VRaptor 300GB, 150GB *2 | Antec HCG-750W | Lian Li PC-60FNWB | Win 8.1 Pro 64
    Asus P8H77-M/CSM | i3 3220 | Shuriken | Vengeance 16GB LP | eVGA GT 610 | Sound Blaster Play | Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 & HD PVR | Asus PCE-AC66 | Kingston V100 128GB, WD 1GB, 500GB, Seagate 2TB | Enermax Liberty 500W | Fractal Design Core 1000 | Win 8 Pro 64 w/Media Center
    Asus P8H77-M/CSM | i3 3220T | Hyper 212 Evo | Vengeance 8GB | eVGA 210 | Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 | Intel 330 60GB, WD 750GB, 250GB | Enermax Liberty 500W | Antec 300 | Win 7 Premium 32

Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Modified

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    Yeah... XS just plain sucks when it comes to monitors... HardForum is way better in that area.
    Definitely, also a lot more people care about motion smoothness over there why I can identify myself a lot better in that display section of that forum.

I mean take a look at the first page in the display section:

They look quite popular those threads with lightboost/120Hz(+) TN panels. haha
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Member
    CallsignVega post a lot at the Liquid Cooling section... there are some pictures of his system there.
    PC:
    MOBO: Maximus VI Extreme
    CPU: Core i7-4770k
    RAM: 2x4gb Dominator Platinum 2133
    GPU: GeForce GTX Titan

Greetings from Brazil!

Xtreme Member
    I guess my monitor can do essentially the same thing as LightBoost...its kind of interesting, But it's sooo dark...like something is wrong dark. If you read about how LightBoost works you'll understand why its so dark. In short, I don't like it...it's really too dark, but I want to use it for games. Luckily, my monitor stores separate settings for 3D and 2D modes, so I don't have to readjust brightness and contrast settings when switching between the two (i.e. you use a 3D mode to get the LightBoost effect on my monitor).

They need to work on this tech some more, it's to dark...and for Nvidia to exploit it and call it LightBoost like it's their own tech is kinda rediculous, I have nothing Nvidia on my pc. CRT monitor's pixels light up brighter (read about phospherus or whatever CRT uses) as compared to LCD...that's why it's so dark on lcd.

Anyways, it certainly works; I just ran the pixperAn test and I can clearly read the text scrolling across the screen using the mod, but when using the fastest 120Hz mode without the mod the text is to blurry to read.
    Last edited by DefStar; 04-07-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: update
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Xtreme Addict
    Anyone comment on lightboost brightness, and color representation, compared to an S-IPS? I don't want to try even ordering one if it's just going to be a washed-out, dim mess that looks sharp in movement. Is it at passable color-wise and reasonably bright for use? Just curious on updated opinions since many of the threads I'd seen a few months back were from people owning these things for a week or less. Also, I'm thinking of getting an Overlord X270OC (120hz 2560x1440 with a small amount of luck) instead... any thoughts on comparison?
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 04-07-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by solofly View Post
    But do you own a lightboost capable panel, ahaaa...

I've just gone through Viewsonic V2770-LED and Asus PB278Q and look what I ended up with, Benq XL2420T a cheap panel as you say but of course I am a real gamer...(mind you I used to say the same)

IPS is great for slow mo and still pics but for fast past gaming you can't beat lightboost capable setup...
    (shrugs)

http://www.prismo.ch/comparisons/desktop.php

25% less PPI? 25% screen area? Crappy colors that fade at edges of monitor?

No thanks. I've had a 30" screen for many years, bought my 3007 WFP HC back in 2008. I went through a phase of preferring the 120HZ panels for their 3d, but at the end of the day other monitors just seem, well, small.

I miss the 3d at times, don't miss the 120Hz or low res.

Used to be people would argue "CRT vs LCD" now they argue "TN vs IPS" The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    Anyone comment on lightboost brightness, and color representation, compared to an S-IPS?
    Not great at all. Good for games only.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I miss the 3d at times, don't miss the 120Hz or low res.
    And some IPS users (who are sensitive to motion blur) are so impressed by LightBoost when they try it out:

Quote Originally Posted by Vega
    "Oh my, I just got Skyrim AFK camera spinning (which I used to test LCD's versus the FW900) to run without stutters and VSYNC locked to 120. This Benq with Lightboost is just as crystal clear if not clearer than the FW900 motion. I am in awe. More testing tomorrow. Any of my doubts about this Lightboost technology have been vaporized! I've been playing around with this fluid motion on this monitor for like 6-hours straight, that is how impressive it is."
    Quote Originally Posted by qwkslvr
    From Overclock.net
    "Finally got this working on my VG278 and holy *****! It's unbelievable! Definitely worth it coming from 1600p."
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyviper
    From HardForum
    So I finally got the VG248QE hooked up last night and was able to play around with it for a couple hours. The other monitor that I have is a HP ZR30W which is a 30" 2560x1600 IPS monitor so I will be comparing the VG248QE to that a lot in this review.

Right off the bat, I noticed the color quality seems to be a lot worse than the ZR30W. Everything looks to be washed out, dull and not to mention the monitor suffers from poor viewing angles. On the ZR30W, there is next to no color shifting when I move my head around unlike the VG248QE, but that's a common problem with all TN monitors. I tried calibrating the monitor a little bit using some of the values posted online, but it still doesn't compare to the HP.

Moving on, the first thing I tried was 144 Hz gaming. I loaded up Borderlands 2 just to see how it is and I can definitely say it felt smoother. There is no screen tearing at all on the ASUS, unlike how it is on the HP if i don't turn on Vsync. Although the game felt smoother at 144 Hz and there was less blurring, I found that having to play on a lower res (1920x1080 vs 2560x1600) and poorer color reproduction made the overall gaming experience WORSE. Granted this isn't a competitive, online FPS game so I might have benefited more from having a faster refresh rate, but I would have probably stuck with playing this game on the 30" IPS monitor rather than a 24" TN.

At this point I felt like I may have wasted $300 bucks on a monitor that is full of compromises. The next thing I tried of course was using the Lightboost hack. This was the main reason why I bought the monitor in the first place since there are plenty of other 120 Hz monitors that I could have gotten that I'm sure had better color reproduction.

So I downloaded the hacked INF file and followed Mark's instructions. After turning on Lightboost, I noticed the monitor became a little bit brighter so I loaded up PixPerAn just to verify everything is working. The first thing I noticed was that I can actually read "I need more socks" at full speed! This was cool since I've never been able to read it going so fast before on any LCD monitor.

I then proceeded to load up Borderlands 2 again not having much expectations. The first thing that happened was I noticed the FPS drop down to around 1-2 fps, but then I remembered to hold down "Ctrl-T" for a few seconds to turn off the 3D effect which fixed the FPS problem. So I loaded up a game and the first thing that came to my mind was...

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!

Am I seeing this correctly? The last time I gamed on a CRT monitor was back in 2006 before I got my first LCD and this ASUS monitor is EXACTLY like how I remembered gaming on a CRT monitor. I was absolutely shocked and amazed at how clear everything was when moving around. After seeing Lightboost in action, I would have gladly paid twice the amount for something that can reproduce the feeling I got when playing on a CRT. Now I really can't see myself going back to my 30" 2560x1600 IPS monitor when gaming. Everything looks so much clearer on the ASUS with Lightboost turned on.

If you do any kind of gaming, you should definitely get this monitor. For everything else however, an IPS monitor would probably be better.

Thankfully I am lucky enough to have both
    Since many XtremeSystems people have never heard of LightBoost benefitting 2D.... (That means you've been living under a rock; it was a big discovery by many people in the 120Hz community including me in the last few months -- recent coverage by NewEgg, Asus, TFTCentral, PCMonitors.info, etc -- and google "lightboost"; it's now more popular for motion blur elimination, rather than 3D vision)

As you can see by people like the above, several people who are sensitive to motion blur, was dissapointed at only the minor improvement of 120Hz (16.7ms sample and hold -> 8.33ms sample and hold). But enabling LightBoost stroboscopically shortens the refreshes (2.4ms stroboscopic flash 120 times per second, during LightBoost=100%, shortening to 1.4ms strobe flashes). The pixel transitions are kept in total darkness (thus, your eyes don't see the blur from the LCD pixel transitions either). The 1.4ms stroboscopic frame flashes (once per refresh, 120 times a second) from the LightBoost strobe backlight, is more than 92% shorter than the 16.7ms length of a continuously-shining frame on a 60 Hz LCD. Correspondingly, there's 92% less motion blur with LightBoost (over one order of magnitude less motion blur) instead of 50% less motion blur (half as much) for a regular 120 Hz.

LightBoost is not for everyone. The colors do degrade somewhat, of course. Sometimes a bit, sometimes by a lot, very monitor-dependant and depends on what your eyes are used to. There are ways to calibrate LightBoost for a better picture (google LightBoost calibration), since it's pre-calibrated for 3D glasses, but you want to use it during plain 2D use (keep LightBoost enabled for non-3D use; keeping the zero motion blur advantage). Some people do say "ho hum" when they see 120Hz, and maybe even LightBoost, but such users are usually people who don't often track eyes during high-speed pans (like many CRT diehards do).

For the brightness problem, can be helped somewhat by choosing the right monitor. I find that the LightBoost on the BENQ is quite bright, especially at LightBoost=100%; but the BENQ is eye-scorchingly bright without LightBoost (over 300cd, hurts my eyes), so enabling LightBoost is a godsend anyway. (Unless you like 300 candles glaring into your eye, due to a bright sun-lit room)

LightBoost really helps if you manage to run fps=Hz (120fps or better), and if you do fast movement like fast strafes, fast pans, 180 degree flicks, high speed flybys, and anything that involves continuous fast motion where you are tracking your eyes on moving objects while the screen is in constant motion. So you can identify and frag enemies in the game quicker, without having to slow down or stop your movements -- much like you could on a CRT.

This is the kind of stuff CRT-clarity motion of LightBoost really helps:
    -- Fast 180-degree flick turns in FPS shooting.
    -- Shooting while turning, without stopping turning (easier on CRT or LightBoost)
    -- Close-up strafing, especially circle strafing
    -- Running while looking at the ground (e.g. hunting for tiny objects quickly).
    -- Identifying multiple far-away enemies or small targets, while turning fast
    -- Playing fast characters such as "Scout" in Team Fortress 2
    -- High-speed low passes, such as low helicoptor flybys in Battlefield 3, you aim better.
    Fast pans as perfectly as sharp as stationary images...

LightBoost is quite demanding in that it works "super well" at 120fps@120Hz, but essentially mostly useless at 60fps@120Hz. (LightBoost becomes more useful the closer you get to 120fps, once you exceed approximately 80fps). LightBoost is vendor-locked to function only at 100Hz-120Hz, and not at lower refresh rates (otherwise we wouldn't need powerful GPU's to really benefit from LightBoost). So doing fps=Hz on LightBoost requires the types of rigs found in xtremesystems -- so the xtremesystems is the type of audience that can benefit from LightBoost. And if you still hate LightBoost picture, there are future developments of better-quality, brighter, colorful, stroboscopic-backlight-driven displays. (e.g. ViewPixx Scientific Research Display is an example of the future of LCD.). Even OLED is sometimes problematic too (See Why Do Some OLED's Have Motion Blur) - that's the motion blur from the sample and hold effect, even at 0ms instant pixel response; LightBoost actually outperforms most early OLED's in terms of motion blur (albiet OLED colors are MUCH better).

Refresh-synchonized stroboscopic backlights is good for the CRT zero motion blur effect (perfect sharp motion in ultra fast pans).
    This can be good if you are already familiar with CRT-clarity motion of 60fps@60Hz (or any fps=Hz).
    (Regular LCD 120Hz is still too motion-blurry for some of us, we need LightBoost above and beyond.)
    Of course, our human eyes are the limiting factor, but some of us motion-blur-sensitive people have found LCD at 120Hz still has more motion blur than CRT; the LightBoost fixes that.

Vega (owner of FW900 CRT's, owner of Catleap 2B 120Hz IPS overlocked) bought this rig only after discovering LightBoost.
    So this "world's fastest 24/7-running non-LN2 gaming rig" (according to 3DMark11 leaderboard) actually exists only because of LightBoost

LightBoost is not for everyone, not everyone is sensitive to motion blur, but it has a lot of "wow" for some people.
    Last edited by mdrejhon; 04-07-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm getting older and my vision is not as good as it once was, I understand the appeal of 120hz+ and also lightboost. But I'll keep my 30" panel (u3011 for a couple years and now u3014). I can deal with ~1frame of input lag and also a bit of blur when the scene gets really fast, my old eyes need the bigger screen real estate.

Different strokes.

(also vega is a nice guy, disparage the person who posted this in news, not vega he's done nothing)
    slowpoke:
    mm ascension
    gigabyte x58a-ud7
    980x@4.4ghz (29x152) 1.392 vcore 24/7
    corsair dominator gt 6gb 1824mhz 7-7-7-19
    2xEVGA GTX TITAN
    storage: samsung 2tb f3
    cooling:
    loop1: mcp350>pa120.4>ek supreme hf
    loop2: mcp355>2xpa120.3>>ek nb/sb
    22x scythe s-flex "F"

Xtreme Addict
    Side question, if Catleap 2B OC can do 1440p@120hz, why have no other manufacturers made such a screen?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Side question, if Catleap 2B OC can do 1440p@120hz, why have no other manufacturers made such a screen?

-PB
    I would say because there isn't a big enough commercial market that understands the benefits, and many engineers seem to think it's not doable inside of companies like LG from what I gather (they seem unaware of these panels' existence). Overlord made the Tempest X270OC which is basically the same thing (Korean panel + 2B-type PCB, they're making a newer housing as well now) but with a USA warranty, though. I'm sorely tempted to pre-order one of their newest batch...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrejhon View Post
    (wall of text that boils down to "We trade resolution, color, and screen size for better motion blur)
    I get that it eliminates motion blur, just don't want to game on small monitors at low res.

The motion blur has never been a factor that makes me want to use grainy panels. This whole thing reminds me a LOT of the CRT vs LCD thing of days gone by. You'd see the CRT die hards championing the joys of gaming at 16X12 on a 19"CRT because only then could they be free of motion blur.

Or going back further, you'd have guys turning the image quality and res as low as they would go to try and get a leg up at online shooters.

I'd probably do the lightboost too if I stilled gamed online, framerate is life used to be the saying. Now, I just want the game to look good and the only thing I've seen that gives 25X16 a run for it's money is 3d Vision. (but I get tired of wearing the glasses because I wear glasses)
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
    I'm getting older and my vision is not as good as it once was, I understand the appeal of 120hz+ and also lightboost. But I'll keep my 30" panel (u3011 for a couple years and now u3014). I can deal with ~1frame of input lag and also a bit of blur when the scene gets really fast, my old eyes need the bigger screen real estate.

Different strokes.

(also vega is a nice guy, disparage the person who posted this in news, not vega he's done nothing)
    Cry all you want, there are mods who have even posted in this thread that could of moved it either to the Monitor section, NV section or Intel section ages ago, i very likely would of missed it in any of those.
    But then it would not have gotten the attention it deserves (because the complete thing is an eye opener) and possibly many people would not of read it let alone posted in it, more good has come of it than harm.

Im going to go back to reading the useful info as a result of this thread.
    Last edited by Final8ty; 04-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Xtreme Member
    LightBoost is a half-assed applied technology so far. They discovered its (most likely) when applying Frame Sequential mode 3D mode. That is, my monitor does the same thing as LightBoost when i'm using frame sequential 3D mode. Now, Its all about the back light being off longer between frames (thus mimicking CRT monitors that don't have back lights)...that's why it's so much darker. Now, when the pixels light up for a frame, a flat panel's pixels do night burn as bright as the CRT phosphorus pixels (that's why flat panels have back lights in the first place i believe)... resulting in a dark washed out look. BUT WOW! there certainly is no blurring...it's pretty amazing how well it works.
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast