Thread: Disney Shuts Down LucasArts - Kotaku

Xtreme Mentor

Disney Shuts Down LucasArts - Kotaku

Staff were informed of the shutdown this morning, according to a reliable Kotaku source. Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio's current projects?Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313?were cancelled. Disney will still use the LucasArts name to license games, but the studio is no more.

Shame on you Disney !

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

This isn't a late April Fools joke is it? Though it appears to be true, this really sucks and people getting laid off is tough. Shame on you Disney.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

XS News
    Can you really blame disney? What really good games has Lucas Arts released in the last 5-10 years? Most great LA games came from 10+years ago, their creativity was drained and more of a skeletal position remained. The bigger talent names from LA ended up leaving a long time ago. LA just rehashed bad SW games over and over again as of late.
    i7-3820
    SB Z
    16GB 2200
    GTX690
    1KW Lazer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaMerc View Post
    Can you really blame disney? What really good games has Lucas Arts released in the last 5-10 years? Most great LA games came from 10+years ago, their creativity was drained and more of a skeletal position remained. The bigger talent names from LA ended up leaving a long time ago. LA just rehashed bad SW games over and over again as of late.
    This^

They haven't made anything good or exciting in a while just bargain bin type games, so why keep investing into mediocre games that don't sell all that well?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How anyone didn't see this coming I don't know. Saying that, my little brother was looking forward to Star Wars 1313 and he didn't know about LucasArts being closed (he's a PS3/X360 gamer) and when I told him he got a bit peeved at Disney. The thing is Disney doesn't have a good track record with Sci-Fi so closing the game studios is a good thing, I just hope they don't throw out the baby with the bathwater and 1313 get's a shot at being finished.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathReborn View Post
    How anyone didn't see this coming I don't know. Saying that, my little brother was looking forward to Star Wars 1313 and he didn't know about LucasArts being closed (he's a PS3/X360 gamer) and when I told him he got a bit peeved at Disney. The thing is Disney doesn't have a good track record with Sci-Fi so closing the game studios is a good thing, I just hope they don't throw out the baby with the bathwater and 1313 get's a shot at being finished.
    can you name any game that was made by lucas arts in house or one of its 1st party studios. the good games in the 2000's always were published from 3rd party devs, and i hope that continues. i would love to see obsidian, or gearbox (though im starting to hate them with BL2 DLC and colonial maries being farmed out near 100%,) or even one of the dev studios deep silver owns.

their last game was start wars kinect, then before that republic commando in 05
    Last edited by zanzabar; 04-15-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I just wish Disney had kept the agreements going with the companies making 1313 and the next Battlefront game. Those were already well on their way to being completed and Disney just shut down both projects. It not only sucks for Lucas Arts employees, but there was a LOT of money and time that was spent by these other studios who now will have no return on their project.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    I just wish Disney had kept the agreements going with the companies making 1313 and the next Battlefront game. Those were already well on their way to being completed and Disney just shut down both projects. It not only sucks for Lucas Arts employees, but there was a LOT of money and time that was spent by these other studios who now will have no return on their project.
    EA killed battle front when they killed pandemic, and 1313 was a mess. 1313 was supposed to be all new IP, then lucas wanted it to be bobafet, and they shopped it around but no one wanted it so they started 1st party. it was supposed to be on stock UT3, and a failure that lucas made them keep going with. i would love to see some new starwars games, especially in the KOTAR/SWJK styles but it was just not going to happen in house.

they are staying open as a publisher so hopefully they stick to that since it was working out better that way. it does suck for people who lost their jobs, but hopefully they find something new (maybe in disney.)
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    can you name any game that was made by lucas arts in house or one of its 1st party studios. the good games in the 2000's always were published from 3rd party devs, and i hope that continues. i would love to see obsidian, or gearbox (though im starting to hate them with BL2 DLC and colonial maries being farmed out near 100%,) or even one of the dev studios deep silver owns.

their last game was start wars kinect, then before that republic commando in 05
    The last one I enjoyed was Escape from Monkey Island which I think; but am not sure, was made in house. Personally I would have done a full audit of Lucas Arts and close what wasn't working, consolidate where needed & press ahead with what would make money. I believe Disney just peeked in the door and shouted "we're closing you down" which if true would be a crying shame.

Xtreme Mentor
    while Lucas Arts haven't made good titles for a long time they still had a good name on the market. disney may choose to use that name but they didn't. this is their choice.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    Nightmare comes true:
    Disney awards 'Star Wars' video-game rights to EA

Star Wars fans, get ready for the ripoff. Get ready for DLC, always online, etc etc.
    Oh Disney, how could you

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can console myself with the fact that almost anything they milk out of Star Wars will be a game anyways.

EA only get my money IF a game I like that happens to be published by them comes on sale for less than ?7. Even then I think twice. (why the HELL isn't this forum STILL not recognising the pound symbol?)

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Addict
    EA won't have my money, period.
    Last edited by El Mano; 05-18-2013 at 03:09 AM. Reason: error

I hate EA mainly for all their DLC bullsh|t, its like you buy a game published by them you aren't getting the game but just the "core elements", to play and experience the game as intended you have to buy all the other little chunks that have been ripped out to sell as "DLC" One prime example is ME3 and the DLC for Javik, nomatter what bioware or EA say he was clearly meant to be there from the start because hes so integral to the story (if you have him in your party regularly) and not be "DLC". The same can be said for a great number of other ME3 "DLCs", ME3 only even starts to make sense if you have all the DLCs for it.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Mentor
    luke skywalker dlc, x-wing dlc, and force expansion pack lol

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

lol I can imagine that coming from EA, a Star Wars game where "the force" is a expansion pack

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Copenhagen, teh capital village of the World. Hillerød, Malmö
    EA take my money and keep making these addictive games ...I don't have a lot, but dear EA please take them all <3 <3 I really wanna see a KOTOR game by Bioware and a Battlefront like game from Dice. I can't think of a single bad thing concerning the future of Star Wars
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by vohu manah View Post
    EA take my money and keep making these addictive games ...I don't have a lot, but dear EA please take them all <3 <3 I really wanna see a KOTOR game by Bioware and a Battlefront like game from Dice. I can't think of a single bad thing concerning the future of Star Wars
    I've seen better trolls.

Copenhagen, teh capital village of the World. Hillerød, Malmö
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mano View Post
    I've seen better trolls.
    I am not a troll. EA have published a number of series I really like: Mass Effect, Crysis, Battlefield, Need For Speed and Dead Space. Why is it so hard to believe that having my view is genuine and not trolling?
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!