Thread: Exclusive Hands-on: Sixense MakeVR - The Road to VR

Administrator

Exclusive Hands-on: Sixense MakeVR - The Road to VR

With hardware like the Oculus Rift & Razer Hydra maturing the need for killer apps to support this new platform is becoming very strong.

Sixense MakeVR is on top of this with a 3D modeling system which has a huge number of possibilities.

"MakeVR is a creative modeling application developed by Sixense that introduces a new user interface designed specifically for interacting with 3D worlds. MakeVR is an intuitive tool that will revolutionize creative expression across 3D media, from crafting virtual goods to be traded in online marketplaces to designing solid models for 3D printing."

You can see more about this here.
    http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/04/03/g...ckstarter-4495

and
    http://sixense.com/makevr

It's pretty exciting to see where all this leads to. From games like RPG's, to maybe FPS's like BF3 to a whole host of other applications.

Xtreme Addict
    Exclusive?! LOL I've got a video on YouTube of this too
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    This is what I posted on facebook after reading about it:
    Finally, we are getting somewhere. Can't wait to see what kind of new scientific fields children who grow up with MakeVR will venture into, simply because they will be able to let their creativity run wild without bounderies, so they can virtually create, what is in their mind to play around with it until it hits them and their imagination reaches completely new hights. This is totally awesome! Simon Solotko, I bow to you, you are a genius - please keep up being simply brilliant!

And of course for games, this will bring us way more natural movements while playing games. Everything in the direction of being a very unique controlling device for movements in a 720? 3D environment turned out to be very impractical or just too imprecise, but the Sixense MakeVR solution and the ones following in the future, improving the concept even further, have the potential to finally let the idea behind the huge '90s VR helmets and extremely expensive (and technically weak in every imaginable point ^^) become a reality. I have no idea when I was this excited about laying my hands on any hardware gadget. I have been dreaming of something like this for over 15 years and now it is here - I want it, I need it, rather yesterday than tomorrow!

Thanks for posting this Buckeye!
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Administrator
    np

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There have been a few stories now on MakeVR and the rising tide of Virtual Reality caused by the RIFT. For those visually inclined here are the best of the MakeVR videos and the very popular RIFT + Hydra+Unity demonstration that we had running in the GDC booth that we took over next store. I have also included a video of the Virtuix Omni. Let it be known that I have somehow become intertwined with all of these projects, and I have had a chance to work with all of them, and would be glad to answer questions or carelessly speculate about the future.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-gdc-2013.aspx

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mak...ion,21828.html