Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overclocking Thread about LGA 771 CPU on LGA 775 Mobo

Quote Originally Posted by wytiwx View Post
    I have a more crazy idea to mod 478 Socket M/P to LGA775
    You should find a facility in China which does those crazy chipset+CPU combinations and ask how much will it cost to do such an adapter
    Modding a socket P CPU for the socket M AOpen 975Xi-DYG should be much easier

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by wytiwx View Post
    I have a more crazy idea to mod 478 Socket M/P to LGA775... but that's really really difficult for me
    Now if you could separate the BCLK from the PCI Buss or unlock the multi's on my E5-2687W's I'd be one hell of a happy camper!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Antinomy View Post
    You should find a facility in China which does those crazy chipset+CPU combinations and ask how much will it cost to do such an adapter
    Modding a socket P CPU for the socket M AOpen 975Xi-DYG should be much easier
    I thought about 478 Socket P to Socket M mod last year, that must be easier in theory, but still hard to move on.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Now if you could separate the BCLK from the PCI Buss or unlock the multi's on my E5-2687W's I'd be one hell of a happy camper!
    That's a more crazy idea than mine

But I really love those kinds of mods which can break through overclock limits.

Xtreme Member
    I think you guys may like these, just normal things though

Used PTCA-01 478 CPU transfer for LGA 775 Mobo, and Thermalright True Spirit 120M on air with long mounting screws.

CPU transfer with VID pinmod, because VID7 and VID6 pin are undefined in Socket 478, which will confuse mobo VRM and fail to change Vcore.

Valid URL: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2770953
    Last edited by wytiwx; 04-15-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Xtreme Member
    nice one

can you run a northwood, and lower FSB p4 (100, 133) on a p35 and higher MB with the adapter?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrobozo View Post
    nice one

can you run a northwood, and lower FSB p4 (100, 133) on a p35 and higher MB with the adapter?

First problem could be CPUID code, may need BIOS mod for northwood.

For EP35-DS4, 133 FSB works fine, need no mod. 100 FSB may need FSB mod I think, due to MCH strap. not test yet.

But CPU will get high Freq after FSB mod, so use a low ratio chip makes work easier.

Xtreme Member
    Someone should try Xeon X5470 on a decent board with decent cooling 10x multi.
    Core i7 Extreme 4960X @ 4.5 GHz, Asus Rampage IV Black Edition, 32 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, GTX 780 3-way SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 700D, Corsair H100i, Corsair Force GT 180GB, Windows 8 Pro, Asus VG278HR

Core i7 Extreme 990X @ 4.4 GHz, Asus Rampage III Black Edition, 12 GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1866 MHz, EVGA GTX 580 "Black Ops" SLI, Corsair AX1200, Corsair 650D, Corsar H100, Samsung 830 256GB, Asus ROG Thunderbolt, Windows 7 Pro

Xtreme Member
    Finally can make some xtreme cooling.

CPU pot + NB pot

Something wrong with CPU-Z codename, don't know why.

Valid URL: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2787577

Xtreme Member
    478 to 775 transfer strikes

VID7 and VID6 short to Vss, by this mod mobo can adjust Vcore.

Gemini 2.0 pot with fast base. Uncorrect Temp reading, CBB may be -120 ~ -130, no CB

5.33GHz done, FSB limit I think. Higher Vcore makes Freq lower

Valid URL: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2789413

Xtreme Addict
    Man that looks like a lot of fun! I used to have SO many chips that I wish I still had with one of those boards
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

S478 chip on S775 mainboard?!

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

wytiwx, hello my friend. I have followed your mods very carefully and admire your work. However, I am a little bit confused. in your picture description of your mode I see you taking aluminum foil and sticking it to lands K5 and L5. For what exactly is the purpose of doing that? What is that doing? Now further in looking at the pictures it looks like you are shorting K5 and L5 together? That is the best I can make from your pictures, as the aluminum foil does not extend in any direction beyond those two lands. If that is the case, why do you just not use a single strip of foil joining the two? Clearly you are not insulating those lands so what are you accomplishing by what you are doing? The other thing I noticed was in your previous discussion in the thread you are talking about modding lands L5 and M5. However in the pictures your mods are to lands K5 and L5. I'm confused.

Also in your next post you are showing a CPU-ID readout for a Dempsey 5050. Now my understanding is that BSel mods are adjusting the native FSB of the CPU to a higher FSB and getting a higher frequency as a result. Now the Dempsey 5050 has a native FSB of 667. Your readout shows you achieving 4.283 Ghz. In order to do that you would have to accomplish an FSB bump of 952.5 Mhz to use the native multiplier. Did you use some kind of software on the motherboard to alter the multiplier? BSel mods are supposedly a means to boost your clock speed without software intervention. I can understand the physical changes made to the LGA 775 socket to accept the LGA 771 as the tab cutouts are different. Beyond that you have lost me. What you are doing is either incomplete information or not what a BSel mod is supposed to be doing. BSel mods normally involve H30, G30 and G29. Please explain. Thanks for you time.

wytiwx, hello again my friend. Forgive my dumbness, I am new at this and still trying to figure out what is going on. I am stuck with working with an old Foxconn motherboard which does not have bios support for overclocking. So in order to achieve any kind of "boost" in performance I have to do a BSel mod and adjust the native FSB of the CPU to a higher rate and let the native multiplier do the rest. Maybe you could explain something to me. In making these adjustments, what you are doing essentially is creating the right combination of high and low lands to achieve certain FSB speeds. My understanding is the land environment is by default "high" (represented by the "1") and has to be "pulled low" (represented by the "0"). Again my understanding of how this works is if you have a "0"(low) that you want to keep high (1) you merely have to apply some insulation to the land so the land cannot be "pulled low". Is that correct? Now if you desire the inverse, you have a land that is "high" (1) and you want to pull it low(0) how would you accomplish that? My inclination would be to short it to another land that is pulled low and thereby share that "pulling low" with that land. Or possibly to some other land that is a universal ground or has some other faculty that will pull it low at the appropriate time, (which land that would be I don't know) Please explain if you can. Thanks

Me again. Also above I see a motherboard with what looks like is covered with mud. and a CPU with some kind of cooling device mounted on it. What is up with that? Can I assume the "mud" is some kind of heat conductive material that cools the board with better heat dissipation?

very geniusss n creative...
    Last edited by kokomiscool; 02-11-2014 at 12:51 AM.
    Ghz Was Not Everything.......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123