Thread: How to set up a combo modem+router and a stand alone router

XS_THE_MACHINE

How to set up a combo modem+router and a stand alone router

Hey guys, I was hoping you could give me your opinions on how the network is set up at my parents? house. For a while they had Cablevision and had the internet coming in to a modem, then to a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G2), then out to the rest of the house from there. They have a lot of stuff connected to that one router (at least 2 laptops at anytime, 2 computers, wireless cameras, wireless printer, etc). Last week they switched to Fios, and the Fios router has a built in wireless router. I'm currently thinking of a couple different ways to handle this.
    1- Turn the wireless function off on the modem and leave everything connected to the wireless router.
    2- Switch some of the items around the house to run off the modem's wireless signal (wireless cameras, smart TV, maybe my parents nook).
    3- Switch everything over to the modem.

I realize that best thing is probably get a newer wireless router but that?s for a different day. Any opinions? Thanks guys.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

with 1/3- make sure that they are on different subnets and all will be fine. make on 192.168.0.1 and one 192.168.1.1
    with 2- you can use both on the same network by disabling the lan dhcp one and putting one router as 192.168.1.1 and keep them on the same network but dont use the wan port.

that linksys router is very old and does not do support IPV6 so i would just scrap it or install ddwrt and use it as a wireless access device/switch to get a group of devices wired together like an entertainment center or a computer room that was on wireless. the one you get with fios also has 5ghz wireless N so i would move the computers to 5ghz and keep the slow things like printers on the 2.4, if the laptops dont have 5ghz you can get intel cards for about $12 on ebay.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Thanks for the response / ideas. I realize the router is an old one, but upgrading my parents house to a Wireless N capable router all over (putting Wireless N cards in the laptops) is a job for a future weekend. I do like the idea of switching the old router to DDWRT..... The only issue with it is my dad (sort of) understands the Linksys admin page. Hmmmmm.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids