Thread: Why have d5 pumps got so popular?

Xtreme Member

Why have d5 pumps got so popular?

I remember DDC pumps being a lot more popular a few years a go compared to D5 now appears most people have moved on to them.

Is there any reason for this trend?
    My DDC 18w died so need to replace it and not sure if I want another one.

Thanks.

Xtreme Member
    In my experience the D5 is much more reliable. Had a total of 5 DDC pumps, they all died.
    | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i7 3770K | 16GB G.Skill Sniper | Asus GeForce GTX Titan | 500GB Samsung 840 | Asus Xonar Essence STX | AOC G2460P 144Hz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    been using my Iwaki for 8 years almost.

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Two words: reliable, and silent.

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    I have to agree with this. Love the silence and has worked a great charm ever since plus they are very cool running.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4ghz
    EVGA 590 GTX x2 Quad SLI
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 12GB PC3-12800C8
    Western Digital 150 GB Velociraptor
    Corsair AX1200
    Asus Xonar Xense
    Custom Watercooling
    Lian Li Pc-P80 Armoursuit

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the information, going with a D5 vario + EK d5 CSQ white acetal.

I am Xtreme
    DDCs are only less reliable when misused. I'd much rather have an MCP35x over a D5 vario.

Xtreme Member
    Swiftech makes an MCP 655 D5 type with PWM instead of manual control if you wish PWM with a D5 body. Looks like you have already chosen a top that would work fine on the body in the link. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Corsair 850 tx psu; Dell 27" monitor
    XSPC rx rads; Apogee xt2; gtx680+Heatkiller fc; mcp655's in EK-D5 top
    distilled water + silver in MasterKleer 7/16" ID on 1/2" barbs & compressions

I've had 1 DDC fail on me a few months in and 1 D5 fail on me out of the box, while I had another D5 run flawlessly and my current DDC has been going for years.

Given my experience with both pumps being 50/50 I'm sticking with the DDC for now as it is smaller and the inlet/outlet orientation is better for my setup.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musicfan View Post
    Swiftech makes an MCP 655 D5 type with PWM instead of manual control if you wish PWM with a D5 body. Looks like you have already chosen a top that would work fine on the body in the link. Good luck.
    Sadly Swiftech products are a pain to get hold of in the UK and rather expensive or I would have opted for it.
    I will sadly miss how small and flexible the DDC pump is.
    Last edited by m_jones_; 03-24-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    D5 = Reliable, Quiet & cool Running

DDC = Less Reliable, More Noise, Hot

Just my experiences. BTW I have a D5 that has ran for over 6 years 24/7. She's still running like a champ
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Member
    i have 2 dcc both died,my two d5 works fine

Xtreme Addict
    Hmmmm *stares at brand new unused MCP35X*

You guys are filling me with confidence!

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Hmmmm *stares at brand new unused MCP35X*

You guys are filling me with confidence!

-PB
    It is the best non-Iwaki pump out there. Just don't be an idiot and run it full speed w/ a single low restriction block.

Xtreme Member
    As a few mentioned, the DDC-3 (MCP355) series runs hot. Adding a performance top just adds to the heat problems. Thus, the DDC-3 series in time burns up. 18W to 22W can be hot while under constant load and running in a case that as low ventilation for the pump. Koolance and others have heat-sinks for the DDC series pumps that offers good success. Or, just place a basic CPU/GPU cooling fan to blow on the bottom.

Now, the DDC-1T series pumps run at 10W and remains cool. It's in the same package as the DDC-3 series. This will live up to the 50K+ run life without much trouble on it's own.

The D5 is large enough to be it's own heat-sink and has speed control. Silence for this pump is due to it's low pressure head and high flow. It's ideal for loops with lite to no restrictions. The DDC shines in restrictive loops.

All of this info can be gained at Martin's Lab blog.

If you are building a WCing loop in an ITX form factor, the D5 isn't the choice due to size. A DDC is the sweet spot for compactness. And for heat in a small form factor, the DDC-1T works even better.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump Maverick, BMaverick ... has a massive hoard of a Laing DDC pump stash

Quote Originally Posted by bmaverick View Post
    As a few mentioned, the DDC-3 (MCP355) series runs hot. Adding a performance top just adds to the heat problems. Thus, the DDC-3 series in time burns up. 18W to 22W can be hot while under constant load and running in a case that as low ventilation for the pump. Koolance and others have heat-sinks for the DDC series pumps that offers good success. Or, just place a basic CPU/GPU cooling fan to blow on the bottom.
    Adding some xtra hardware to achieve no failure improvement , is like building tower of cards in open window room.
    Remember Murphy`s law ..New systems generate new problems...., funny isn`t it?
    GA X48 DS5 , CPU INTEL core2 duo 5200+ @4Ghz.( water cooled) ,VIDEO - 8800GTS320MB PSU-FORTRON 550W + 300W booster(150Wx2)

Xtreme Addict
    D5's just keep running.

Xtreme Member
    Really happy with the d5 pump, much quieter than I could get my DDC 18w with EK top. Now i just need to tear my loop apart as I think it's clogged up.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    To me the D5 is a PUMP and the 3 series is as toy..The old saying of you get what you pay for is so true here.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmat View Post
    Two words: reliable, and silent.
    thats why i used ddc

Xtreme Member
    I actually have a D5 pump for about 6 years now and been in 3 different system and it is still running strong 24 hours a day.

Xtreme Member
    Because cases have become gigantic...and more consideration for watercooling from case makers...most people would not try to squeeze in a d5 in a midtower
    ASUS P8Z68V-PRO
    2500k 4.7ghz
    2X4Gb Ballistix Tactical Tracers
    Diamond HD6950 (unlocked) 2gb
    Enermax REVOLUTION 1050W
    Vertex 2 60Gb & Samsung F3 1TB

Xtreme Member
    I have no issues with my used DDC i got in 09 and its going in another build.

Xtreme Addict
    Its not much different than sizing cables.... You've got a temp rating on the jacket and that gives you a maximum current draw before you start the bloody thing on fire.

Its all about heat dissipation. A Metal bodied pump will always last longer than a plastic bodied pump if you're going to use them on high loads. Plastic is an insulator, while metal is a conductor. Makes the HEX process a lot easier.

Not to mention that a 115v Iwaki is drawing .25 amps which isn't all that difficult for a metal housing to dissipate.

Pump heat isn't due to some magic of engineering that makes a specific brand of pump better. Its about how much current it draws and its ability to dissipate heat; whether by direct cooling or air cooling.

A plastic pump will NEVER be as reliable at high loads. They have to be used appropriately. You wouldn't put a 40HP pump on a 1000Ton chiller. That is what you're doing when you use a pump that is too weak for the job. It will always draw near its MCA. That is bad.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    I have 4 DDC, 2mcp355 and 2mcp350. All are 8 years old, all still function, my 2 mcp355 were running for all 8 years, until recently. But I always had mine on a stand with air flow blowing underneath them, so mine always ran cool. I even used XSPC tops for several years on a low restriction loop...but again, mine were cooled via fan, then later with heatsinks.

A ddc will typically pump ~ 0.2 gpm higher in a typical restriction loop than a D5 pump on setting 5, but ddc is a little noisier with higher pitched whine.

At 1000 rpm fan speed (radiator fans), I cant hear either my ddc 3.2's. At 700 rpm fan speed, the ddc3.2s are audible even though inside case, on a stand with heatsinks, and then stand decoupled with velcro to petra gel.

I switched to 2 D5 vario on setting 4, lost 0.3gpm (2mcp355 vs 2 d5's), but now with rad fan speed 700 rpm, and pumps on stand/petra gel/velcro, cant hear D5 on setting 4 above 700 rpm rad fans.

To me, if I were running rad fans at 1000 rpms or higher, I would prefer my ddc's and take the extra 0.3gpm, it is just slight increased noise via higher pitch DDC along with little higher flow...but that was my power phase, now I am in my it cant be quiet enough phase. Reliability is similar if using fans or heatsinks to cool ddc. If not cooling ddc, then agree D5 would be more reliable. For every 15C increase in temps, you halve the mean time to failure of electronics...D5 will last longer unless cool ddc, as ddc is more than 15C higher constant temp if not using heatsink/air flow. And if running an aftermarket high flow top with ddc in low restriction cpu only loop, martin has showed temps ddc (no fan/heatsink) may run 90C + range, or higher if putting directly on gel.... so if D5 runs 30C cooler, then expect 2 half lives difference if using ddc foolishly...D5 is more new user friendly.
    Last edited by rge; 04-18-2013 at 03:22 AM.