Thread: looking for a radio or microwave enthusiast to answer some questions.

Xtreme Enthusiast

looking for a radio or microwave enthusiast to answer some questions.

alright, as the title says, i've got a question or two for a microwave or radio enthusiast.
    i recently picked up through work a watkins johnson 1.0-2.6 ghz Low Noise Amplifier, LNA.
    I'm wanting to use it, as my boss suggested may be possible, to boost the holy hell out of my WiFi signal.
    it's a 20+dbi amplifier, so if it works, i should be able to get my wifi from .... i dunno, a block or 2 away?
    anyways, i was just wondering if it's possible to use the device in this manner, before i start looking for a power cable and getting the adaptors needed to connect it to my router.
    emptiness

Pie assassin
    it seems to be in the right band, however you need as much transmit power from the device you want to connect if you want that kind of range. sure, you will be able to see the network from far away, but you wont be able to transmit back to it to complete the uplink without a 2nd amplifier. from what i gather, you are just amplifying the signal from the wireless router, rather than using it as an amplifier/repeater so signal strength is only to and not from.
    Last edited by ZenEffect; 03-24-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like it may work. However It must allow bi-directional communication (i.e. it must allow the receiving signal to bypass the amp back to the wifi radio) Some do not
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hmmm, well unfortunately, without an attenuator and a bit more working knowledge of the device, i'll apparently start cooking my house and everything in it. so this project has died
    thanks for the replies, gotta say i wasnt thinking about the return signal lol, so it may not have worked after all, but it woulda been great if ppl saw it but couldn't connect haha.
    emptiness