Thread: Fun while it lasted... gpu angst

Fun while it lasted... gpu angst

I left the pc running, eagerly anticipating massive gpu crunchage.

nope, pc keeps giving me bsod's. So, thinking maybe it was the drivers, I downgraded to the production drivers. Now I get errors on all GPU stuff in boinc. So I downgraded from beta, and it still hates me.

I would think it was the power supply, if it wasn't already 750 watt... at least for the crashes. The gpu computation errors I don't know what the heck is going on.

Any ideas?

2600k 16gb ram
    7970 msi... nothing overclocked

I did reload my OS, because I wanted it clean with none of my old nvidia stuff. That was saturday, the fun started today.
    Overtaking inactive user stats like no other

XSDCMF
    Test RAM
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Legend
    Turn off ALL power saving features on MB and OS and Graphics

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

yeah, that's been off.

it's behaving today, I had virtu disabled yesterday during the bsod storm. I did end up shutting off the built in adapter last night. I tried playing with virtu sunday, because one of my games didn't support SLI/Crossfire and I was trying to find some sneaky way to squeeze more juice out of my single video card. It ended up giving me framerates of 6-10fps. I suspect there is more to it, but I'm going to leave that alone. I may play with it when I get a z77 board, just to understand it more.

I've been watching the graphs on afterburner, and nothing is really jumping out. I see it can log to a file, hopefully it is something I can make use of.

Xtreme Member
    If you're running Win7, disable Aero and see if that helps.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Xtreme Cruncher
    "Now I get errors on all GPU stuff in boinc."

Don't really know what error's your getting but your problems sound very reminiscent of my first GB 7950, turned out to be a defective video card.
    Do you know anyone that would lend you a ATI Card to try on your system?

funny how running all the paces, it is stable now. Maybe I am cursed or something... oh wait, I am. Now I just need to figure out how to squeeze out more points so I can start making people's lists