Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sam's long crunching journey accross the crunching valleys

Xtreme X.I.P.
    MM,

If you are running this unresponsive cruncher on a WIN 7 OS, insure that you have disabled power saving and sleep functions in both your rig's BIOS and Win 7. This includes screen, mouse and HDD(s). This is even more significant if your rig is connected to an un-interruptible battery pack which will cause WIN 7 to select as defaults the basic power saving and sleep features of a laptop unless you installed the OEM un-interruptible battery pack monitoring & control application.

Good luck MM,

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] serlv View Post
    All this info sounds good. Will be trying it. Appreciate the time it took to share your experiences and learned wisdom.

I have a question for you all.

When my machine is in full crunching mode and I go to use it, say get on the web or whatever, oftentimes BOINC seems to have the complete attention of the system. It will be "in the grip", almost completely unresponsive to user input. I'll tap the Windows key and oftentimess, literally minutes later, I'll get a response. At that point I can snooze BOINC or open up a browser.

Does this happen with other people's rigs? When I used to run a lot of rigs I never noticed that almost complete unresponsiveness. BOINC would seem to gracefully allow the user to use the rig when he wanted, almost immediately.
    Do you have this issue with GPU disabled? With win7 and gpu crunching I experience a lot of graphical lag which make the system mostly unusable.

My solution has been to disable GPU crunching when using the computer :\

XSDCMF
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Maw View Post
    Do you have this issue with GPU disabled? With win7 and gpu crunching I experience a lot of graphical lag which make the system mostly unusable.

My solution has been to disable GPU crunching when using the computer :\
    Heh, never even thought about kist snoozing the GPO. Let me try that. Thanks.
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12