Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S4...

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry for the triple post guys.

I need some help with a driver.
    I have my phone in usb camera mode.
    And I also got the java sdk and android sdk working, dl'ed the usb driver but I had to force install it, and that doesn't work.
    It doesn't show up as an external drive.
    I got my bunk sd card installed on the phone temp like, I had to, in order to copy a few images and some video's over to play with.
    I pretty much need to send this card back asap to get rma'ed, I only got a few days left before my rma expires (half the card is bad so i need to send it back, it's an expensive 64gig card).
    But I wanna get the usb driver working so I can easyly copy file to and from my phone's sd card.
    I wanna at least get that working for now, I know supposedly once I take the card out it won't function as such anymore but I know that.

Kinda bugs me because I figured putting it in camera usb mode it would act like an actual camera would, but it's not.
    Makes it kinda impossible to goto a buddies house and transfer files to and from there pc too without having to carry around a usb stick with that one driver on it.

I need a place to find this driver, an official place, not some mediafire link or whatever.
    I don't wanna end up installing spyware on my computer you know.

Some of you guys must know what I'm talking about.
    I did try enabling windows update driver search stuff in windows but it won't find the driver.

Xtreme Mentor
    Either pull the driver off of the official Samsung website or download Samsung Kies to handle media transfer. I was having an issue with this as well on my desktop but Kies fixed it for me. (I do not have the S4 but do have the Note 2).

Xtreme Addict
    I can't get kies working, tried and tried so many times.
    I got adb working though.
    But I need odin working.

As far as I'm concerned right now, I don't even care about usb storage drivers at the moment, because I can use a remote console to access the files with the debugger.
    Just can't access system files though so I need root, and to do that I need odin.

It's driving me nuts.
    There is no single usb driver out there that matches up with my phone, it really ticks me off.
    Even the adb drivers, I had to manually install those and those didn't even match up, but they worked.

Xtreme Addict
    I have a rooted Note 2 with a custom ROM on it. I made the mistake of switching into the USB connection into Camera (PTP). I can access the phone when connected to my PC but I can not see any files. All the folders are empty. It switches back to PTP when I try and put it back as a media device (MTP).
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Intel i7 3770k
    ░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░ ASUS GTX680
    ░░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░░ ASUS Maximun V Gene
    ░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░░ Mushkin 8GB Blackline
    ░░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█░░░░ Crucial M4 256GB
    ░░░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█░░░ Hitachi Deskstar 2TB x2
    ░░█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█░░ FSP 750W Gold
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Fractal Arc Mini

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah I haven't figured out that yet, I'm waiting on my sdcard to be sent back to me, had to rma mine.

I did get odin working, I had install kies 1st, rip out the usb driver dir and back that up, uninstall kies.
    Then goto the dev manager, to the unknown devices that pop up when I plug the phone in, and click on update driver, point it to the location where I put that folder and it's working now, all the drivers install.
    Weird, I've tried this before, but it's working now.

And odin detects it.
    Prob is, it crashes my pc during the flash, I've tried 4 times now, also with v1.85 (original few tries were with v3.07).
    Good thing it didn't brick my phone lol.

I don't know why it's hardlocking then bsod'ing my pc, but I assume it's my windows.
    Sometime or another today I'm gonna install a side copy of windows and just leave it untweaked and offline so I can figure this out.

Trying to flash this:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2262110

I know enough to select pds, and not mess with anything else other then auto restart.
    I'm trying to be as safe as possible.

I wish there was a way of backing the whole thing up without any modification at all, rom and internal storage, but from my research it seems you need root just to do anything.

I can't wait to actually play with the darned phone.
    It's kinda useless without rooting lol, "every single app" I want to use needs root access...
    There's not one that doesn't lol.

I got my screen protector today too.
    But I'm disappointed with it.
    It has a line defect in the plastic, not noticeable anymore because I heated the crap out of it.
    But it collected so much dust and stuff when I went to put it on the 1st time, it's got so many air bubbles now it sucks.
    I did throw it away but thought about it, tried washing it twice and put it back on, air bubbles galore.
    Either next time I'm gonna buy 2-3 of them at once and hope that one ends up perfect, or buy a glass one.
    It'll prevent scratches anyways even though it looks horrible.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 05-24-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I just got odin working.
    What I had to do was take the whole setup to my dfi nf2.

Eventually, with some hassle mind ya, I got all the drivers working on that, though there is no way of me testing the mass storage type of stuff without an sdcard right now.

But I was able to flash cwm recovery + root thingy that came form the link I posted above.
    And I was quickly able to root it, and test root with adb shell, su command.
    I'm pretty darned happy now , .

I gotta back this thing up though before start doing anymore.
    I wanna start adding a few apps, at least the network logger I found and tested on the emulator.
    But I really gotta back this thing up.
    It would probably easy with cwm recovery and an sdcard but I don't have that option right now.
    I'm gonna have install busybox and tar up the entire thing and send it to my pc using adb.
    Gonna have to do a little bit more reading on that exact method though before I attempt it.

I did back up some stuff before from the system folder for a test and that did work before I got root and such.
    So I have some hope.

Shame I see no apps to use the ir led as a thermometer.
    That would of been cool...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12