Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S4...

Xtreme Addict

Samsung Galaxy S4...

Meh. Major Meh. This phone was exactly what I was expecting it to be and I'm not at all impressed.

Give me an HTC One please.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

isnt it a little better in every way and has an SD card slot. i think i will go for the next nexus but the gs4 looks like the top one to me.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

NooB MOD
    News just in: Apple is suing Samsung for taking the name of an iPhone (4S) and reversing it
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    Meh. Major Meh. This phone was exactly what I was expecting it to be and I'm not at all impressed.

Give me an HTC One please.
    Agreed. Oh well, nice to see more players in the high-end market.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Agreed. Oh well, nice to see more players in the high-end market.
    appart from samsung who is said high end market? apple? motorola really doesnt do much now adays other than fancy shells like apple products.. htc is alright they just always seem to be lacking somthing in my mind..

htc generally makes okay phones, recently started doing better, i still would buy a step lower hardware samsung before buying a step higher htc..

trust the name more. htc has never really done much for me, ive gone from Blackberry to motorolla to samsung and never looked back.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    appart from samsung who is said high end market? apple? motorola really doesnt do much now adays other than fancy shells like apple products.. htc is alright they just always seem to be lacking somthing in my mind..

htc generally makes okay phones, recently started doing better, i still would buy a step lower hardware samsung before buying a step higher htc..

trust the name more. htc has never really done much for me, ive gone from Blackberry to motorolla to samsung and never looked back.
    Won't consider HTC a high end brand? Sure, they've got plenty of low end devices just like every other brand, but they do make devices that compete with Samsung on the high end. I've had an international OneX since release, and it's been phenomenal. Being a Tegra-based device, it has its fair share of driver issues in the custom rom scene, but it's fast, light, thin, and gets pretty good battery life given the form factor (which is smaller overall than the SIII). The screen is still regarded as one of the best available, even after all this time. The whole HTCDev unlock/void warranty stuff was a little irritating, but I don't really expect warranty support once I mod something anyways. I've looked at plenty of Samsung devices over the years, but can't seem to get past the extra blue screen.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 03-15-2013 at 04:43 PM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

i did not think that the gs, note, or note 2 had a very much blue bias. they looked much closer to 3k than their TVs and i did not find them annoying. i have not really used any of the other devices but those seamed ok.

with HTC i dont think they have ever really been a top end phone maker. for a long time they banked on being the only smartphone maker and since the HD1/2 i dont think they have really pushed anything. they also try to lock things down, and have basically abandoned the enthusiast crowd. if you want a high end phone to sell you need 2 things IMO, 1) battery/storage, and 2) make it popular with cyanogen/aokp/xda.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i did not think that the gs, note, or note 2 had a very much blue bias. they looked much closer to 3k than their TVs and i did not find them annoying. i have not really used any of the other devices but those seamed ok.

with HTC i dont think they have ever really been a top end phone maker. for a long time they banked on being the only smartphone maker and since the HD1/2 i dont think they have really pushed anything. they also try to lock things down, and have basically abandoned the enthusiast crowd. if you want a high end phone to sell you need 2 things IMO, 1) battery/storage, and 2) make it popular with cyanogen/aokp/xda.

The true enthusiast will have no problem figuring out how to replace a battery on a HTC One S/X or anything else for that matter.

The HTC ONE S and X are popular in the modded ROM scene. And are very well built phones from my experience.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by Jokester_wild View Post
    The true enthusiast will have no problem figuring out how to replace a battery on a HTC One S/X or anything else for that matter.

The HTC ONE S and X are popular in the modded ROM scene. And are very well built phones from my experience.
    i meant mAH in the battery not being replaceable, and the same with storage you dont need an SD but you need atleast 32GB. the htc one also looks like a second tier for when you dont want a nexus4 since it has no LTE, and you dont want samsung so no sg3/note2.

HTC has some nice phones and nice build quality, but community support and update times are lacking. samsung had a problem with giving out proper code with their arm chips but the updates are atleast timely.

something that i think we can all agree on though is saying never again to a tegra part. they did not get an ICS kernel for the tegra2 out until last october.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 03-16-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i meant mAH in the battery not being replaceable, and the same with storage you dont need an SD but you need atleast 32GB. the htc one also looks like a second tier for when you dont want a nexus4 since it has no LTE, and you dont want samsung so no sg3/note2.

HTC has some nice phones and nice build quality, but community support and update times are lacking. samsung had a problem with giving out proper code with their arm chips but the updates are atleast timely.

something that i think we can all agree on though is saying never again to a tegra part. they did not get an ICS kernel for the tegra2 out until last october.
    Well the ONE has 32GB/64GB. As far as LTE goes, Im not sure that many people even notice the difference. I sure didn't on Rogers network or Bell Network in Canada. Not until you actually download something large.

As a ex-owner of the Sensation I would have to agree with updates being slow or none-existent. The only way was to head over to the forums and learn how to update with custom roms yourself.

They have been better with the one X/S model but could still improve upon it.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

i agree that hte x/s are better, they just are a little short. the LTE also does not matter when you have HDPDA+ in the wild (HSPDA+ is even better IMO since they are basically the same speed and HSPDA+ only uses one radio in one mode,) but in the store they really want to push LTE.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    I've looked at plenty of Samsung devices over the years, but can't seem to get past the extra blue screen.
    I just came across some info that mentioned this, supposedly it's something you can adjust in custom kernels.

I came across it when researching mhl+otg.
    It would be nice if the s4 supported the note 2 smart dock or something similar out of the box.

I found the vnc server stuff impressive.
    But it makes me wonder how much lag they'll have on the s4.
    I like the idea of being able to use my pc as the gaming platform in a different location.
    That would be pretty cool.

Xtreme Addict
    Still looking forward to it though.
    But I don't want the usa ver, I want the europe one, 8 cores ver with scrolling with your eyes, etc.
    (supposedly the 4 core ver is a tad faster but still..., I just want the 8 core option lol)

I just wish the thing had a 1watt ir led along with whatever it currently has as a flash.
    And a 3d camera setup, it just needs a 2nd lens on the backside and it would recored 3d...

But not yet lol, but I can dream.
    I mean we could always print out a new case for it and install a 2nd camera or move the one from the front to the back and make it 3d, then install an ir led chip, then remove the filters off the lenses and get 3d night vision hehe .
    I don't care about 3d night vision, but I'de like to have both as an option.
    Especially these days, might as well.

Iphone has a fake night vision mode .
    And I'de like a real one.

There's a company that was making a screen protector that had a gimmick where you could use passive 3d on it.
    Probably not the best depth out there but it would still be neat, maybe...

I used to have a nokia, I miss it.
    But for the moment I'm stuck on this motorola v170, it's a real piece alright lol.
    Then I got this digital camera that eats aa batteries within 10 or so pictures taken (even when the flash is off) :\.
    Definitely could use an upgrade in both departments.

Won't consider HTC a high end brand? Sure, they've got plenty of low end devices just like every other brand, but they do make devices that compete with Samsung on the high end. I've had an international OneX since release, and it's been phenomenal. Being a Tegra-based device, it has its fair share of driver issues in the custom rom scene, but it's fast, light, thin, and gets pretty good battery life given the form factor (which is smaller overall than the SIII). The screen is still regarded as one of the best available, even after all this time. The whole HTCDev unlock/void warranty stuff was a little irritating, but I don't really expect warranty support once I mod something anyways. I've looked at plenty of Samsung devices over the years, but can't seem to get past the extra blue screen.

--Matt
    http://gizmodo.com/5991280/the-htc-o...p-tier-company

lol i thought of this thread while reading

Xtreme Mentor
    my note1 is nearly death and unfortunately no warranty so start to look new phone. build quality, look and camera makes me want one but all the features of s4 and bigger screen my choice is s4. of course if it has a rgb array screen like note2 not a screen like s3 or note1 rg-bg array. also some say that they fixed the light leak problem of samoled so if this is really true s4 for sure.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

i thought all of the super amoled were pentile, and the super amoled+ was the RGB one. i dont think it would matter at that pixel density though.

i am really looking forward to the moto X, especially if it ends up being nexus.

Xtreme Mentor
    yes all is pentile but note2 hs rgb rgb array not arranged like normal rgb but at least you can find r, g and b subpixels for each pixel but note1 and s3 is rg - bg.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    i meant mAH in the battery not being replaceable, and the same with storage you dont need an SD but you need atleast 32GB.
    The tegra3-based OneX that I have definitely has 32GB of storage. I was under the impression that all of them had that much.

http://gizmodo.com/5991280/the-htc-o...p-tier-company

lol i thought of this thread while reading
    Lol, ouch indeed. Kinda crappy to see they're being shut out. We need competition in this market to keep innovation moving full speed ahead!

I used to be a big fan of Samsung until I had my 24" monitor and 42" TV both die weeks after their warranties ended. They obviously make great products, but I have a bad taste in my mouth from those experiences. I'm holding out for the Moto X.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 03-23-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Member
    The tegra3-based OneX that I have definitely has 32GB of storage. I was under the impression that all of them had that much.

Lol, ouch indeed. Kinda crappy to see they're being shut out. We need competition in this market to keep innovation moving full speed ahead!

I used to be a big fan of Samsung until I had my 24" monitor and 42" TV both die weeks after their warranties ended. They obviously make great products, but I have a bad taste in my mouth from those experiences. I'm holding out for the Moto X.

--Matt
    bad luck guy

--Matt
    just picked up a 55" led 3d last weeeek and my 25.5 in samsung lcd lasted until i got tired of it and sold it for 150$ lol 5 years after i bought it.

<3 sammy

i want a note 2 so bad.. my note feels so old already :P

Xtreme Addict
    just picked up a 55" led 3d last weeeek and my 25.5 in samsung lcd lasted until i got tired of it and sold it for 150$ lol 5 years after i bought it.

<3 sammy

I know, I know. Just bad luck on first gen LCD TV technology. The Sony KDL-40V2500 that replaced the TV has been fine since then (2006). The 21.5" Dell monitor that replaced the 24" is still rockin too.
    Last edited by mattkosem; 03-26-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    My Rig :

Nerdy Powerlifter

<3 sammy

I did the radio hack job to get the original note to run on T-mobile 4g. Buggy, but worked 90%+ of the time.

I ended up getting a Note 2 around Christmas while it was on sale for the value plan stuff. Rebates have been a nightmare...

720p was a real let down, but everything else is super solid. The S4 being 1080p is awesome, but I'd rather wait for the Note 3 variant. 5" is still boarderline too small for 1080p. Viewing images is better too. You can zoom in further than the S3. No one talks about it, but it's nice if you are sent texts or emailed pics. If you can sell your original note and get the 2nd iteration, go for it. It makes my "old" S3 feel like junk. It's THAT much faster & the color/screen quality is higher. The note 1 will always be a benchmark in phone evolution IMO. I'm still half sad I sold mine.

HTC, from my experiences, suffers from "wear out" where the phone runs amazingly at first & just degrades to junk. I had the original EVO 4G on sprint (before iphone was adopted to all carriers & screwed sprints data network) & that phone was super solid for the longest time. That was a top tier phone & the kickstand was simply genius. I used that more than any other feature on the phone (besides the touch screen lol). All other phones I've used from HTC or tried after the EVO just didn't impress me. Samsung has been more reliable (S2 on at least) in general.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    I just ordered the s4, euro ver, quad band.
    I can't wait .

I got the micro sd card the other day though, with some adapters too.
    But in the middle of verifying it by hand I found it was bad, bad blocks and such.
    I couldn't believe I would get a samsung branded rom chip, a single rom chip, that was bad.
    Unbelievable.
    Apparently they don't check them you know :|.
    It happens.
    Newegg's policy said no returns no refunds no exchanges but the rma went through anyways.
    I just gotta drive down to the post office and send her in.
    Still bums me out though.
    Pretty angry about it, but I'm getting used the let downs ^^.
    I mean, I pay up the ying yang for a 64gig card and it's no good, I gotta pay to ship it back, and the gas to get to the post office, it's bs I think lol.

I can't wait to play with the phone though.
    I knew this phone was for me lol .
    At a good time too, my hp photosmart m547 camera died on me, I couldn't believe it.
    But it did .
    It took crappy jpg images anyways, I mean wth, 6.2 mega pixel and it saves them in jpg format lol.
    Might as well call it a 1 mega pixel in that sense.

Xtreme Addict
    I just got mine today, slowly learning it through trial and error.
    I have it charging at the moment off, I need a usb driver for it I guess to see it as a storage device in windows.
    I'm gonna have to figure that one out so I can at least transfer files to it.

My sd card needs to be rma'ed, I need to do that in a day or 2 before my rma runs out of time.

Oh, and the screen seems very nice, 1080p in such a small form factor is pretty cool .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast