Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basics to crunch with GPU?

XSDCMF

Basics to crunch with GPU?

I have a 7850 coming that will be delivered tomorrow.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on what I need to do to get it crunching and producing for WCG and the team. It will be going in a dual Harperton rig.

What version of BOINC? drivers, setting any config files, etc.

I've looked around and gleaned some knowledge, but nothing solid. Other than what WCG says about enabling in My Devices, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Member
    To run the app_config setup you'll need 7.0.40 or higher. This allows multiple wu's to be run in parallel on the gpu and uses the gpu more effectively.
    You can run the gpu wu's on Linux as well, if that helps.
    maybe telling us what os you plan on using, although I think XP is a bad choice now for 7 series cards as only legacy drivers get open cl, so hopefully that's not what you want to run.
    Richland 6790K @ 4.713 Ghz / 2208 NB / 1123 gpu / 2304 Ram [96 Bclk]
    F2A85-M Pro, Mushkin Black 2133, iGPU (8760D)
    9.7L case (excluding 230mm fan) or 11.6L w/2nd rad fan

Xtreme Member
    Removed because of my dated content. Will update to 7.0.40!
    Last edited by 0ne.shot; 03-07-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeroon View Post
    To run the app_config setup you'll need 7.0.40 or higher. This allows multiple wu's to be run in parallel on the gpu and uses the gpu more effectively.
    You can run the gpu wu's on Linux as well, if that helps.
    maybe telling us what os you plan on using, although I think XP is a bad choice now for 7 series cards as only legacy drivers get open cl, so hopefully that's not what you want to run.
    What if you do run a 7 series card in a computer with XP? I was thinking about putting a 7950 in a computer with XP Pro...

Xtreme Cruncher
    If you run 7.40 or higher then you don't need the app_info (which is quite complex) you can use a very simple app_config.
    Here is a link that steps you through all the pieces ...
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5174409
    Last edited by Snow Crash; 03-08-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    What if you do run a 7 series card in a computer with XP? I was thinking about putting a 7950 in a computer with XP Pro...
    No driver support ... can't do it :-(

Xtreme Member
    App_config is not app_info. App config is way easier to set up and allows for newer wu's without re-writing the app file. There's also issues with running app_info setups on Linux that results in "lost" wu's.

To crunch on winXP you need to upgrade your OS to something newer. Vista maybe, win 7 - great, or Linux - best.
    Richland 6790K @ 4.713 Ghz / 2208 NB / 1123 gpu / 2304 Ram [96 Bclk]
    F2A85-M Pro, Mushkin Black 2133, iGPU (8760D)
    9.7L case (excluding 230mm fan) or 11.6L w/2nd rad fan

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No XP.... Not good. I've already ordered the card.

Xtreme Member
    No XP.... Not good. I've already ordered the card.
    Sad but true. There is no driver support for 7xxx series cards on XP.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeroon View Post
    App_config is not app_info. App config is way easier to set up and allows for newer wu's without re-writing the app file. There's also issues with running app_info setups on Linux that results in "lost" wu's.
    An just an FYI. WCG will be upgrading their server code soon and you won't be able to use an app_info file. It's only because of a server bug that it works now. When they update the server you'll have to use an app_config and BOINC version 7.0.40 or higher. Anyone who misses the update announcement and continues to run an app_info will be stuck with tasks that are finished but will not upload. Anyone who is still using an app_info should upgrade ASAP so they don't get caught in the changeover. Before you switch you should finish all the work in your cache. If you try and switch to an app_config setup before you complete the tasks running in the app_info configuration they will be lost.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ne.shot View Post

Here is a big App_info thread, and I have no idea why this extensive list of app_info configs isn't stickied. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...light=app_info
    Stuck!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Help me understand this a little better please. PowerColor has WinXP 32 bit drivers on their site for the card I bought. http://www.powercolor.com/us/product...#Specification Are you saying that the card will work with XP in my computer and that it just won't crunch or are you saying that it won't work with XP at all?

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Help me understand this a little better please. PowerColor has WinXP 32 bit drivers on their site for the card I bought. http://www.powercolor.com/us/product...#Specification Are you saying that the card will work with XP in my computer and that it just won't crunch or are you saying that it won't work with XP at all?
    card will work, just won't crunch
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    You may have video but you wil not be able to crunch. The driver package does not contain OpenCl support which you need to crunch HCC GPU tasks.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OK. Got it now. Thanks.

Xtreme Cruncher
    MM, are you sure you want to sticky that thread? app_info isn't used anymore. Might get confusing for people to see that stuck when it maybe shouldn't be.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

Xtreme Cruncher
    +1 to Bluestang ... OC .... can you make a new post that's a clean copy/ paste with your awesome write up on app_config (maybe we could add cc_config also?) and then sticky that one and drop the app_info off sticky?

Xtreme Legend
    Sure, it won't be tonight (9:30pm here). What do you want included in the cc_config??.

I have in mind to do a complete updated How To for anyone helping out the team ....especially during SC week.

How about I do this and then we all pick holes in it and modify it until it is right, then post the finished article as a (proposal for) sticky?

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sounds like a plan....to me anyway.

XSDCMF
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Crash View Post
    If you run 7.40 or higher then you don't need the app_info (which is quite complex) you can use a very simple app_config.
    Here is a link that steps you through all the pieces ...
    That link gives me this... 404 - File or directory not found.
    The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
    Somebody, Stop Me!

XSDCMF
    Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    That sucks. Am running XP Pro, 64-bit. On a very complicated setup. I suppose I could install 7 Ultimate but would lose my very specialized RAID controller card and the two drives (currently) that are hooked up to it.

I have a Supermicro AOC SAS/SATA ( AOC-USAS-S8i RAID Controller ) card that I can't seem to find divers for. I'd hate to lose the use of that card..., can connect 8 devices to it.
    Somebody, Stop Me!

XSDCMF
    Also, could not find 7.0.40 at BOINC, the highest they had, which I upgraded to, was 7.0.28. There is a 7.0.52, but they say that is for testing only. Anybody know where I could get 7.0.40?
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] serlv View Post
    Also, could not find 7.0.40 at BOINC, the highest they had, which I upgraded to, was 7.0.28. There is a 7.0.52, but they say that is for testing only. Anybody know where I could get 7.0.40?
    Anything above 7.0.28 is listed as for testing and can be found here, just scroll down, I am using 7.0.42 and 7.0.44.

Xtreme Cruncher
    sorry about the link ... I tested this one after posting and it's good

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] serlv View Post
    7.0.40 had problems and is no longer available and if you should find it don't use it. All the versions above 7.0.40 are "test" clients. I'm currently using 7.0.52, no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast