Thread: Flow Sensor Problems?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Flow Sensor Problems?

Currently I have 2 Koolance flow rate sensors in my loop this is largely due to my 2 independent loops being combined temporary while I get a new pump for the other loop.

Previously I posted that I observed different output in flow rates from the 2 sensors. Now I have 1 spinning and the other one not moving!

The one spinning is before the gpu and after the cpu and the one not spinning is after the gpu before the res (at top of the loop).

Clearly the flow does work as one of them is spinning so obviously I will need to remove the bad one. Any suggestions on what to do with it? Should I try an RMA or something?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for a more reliable flow sensor?

Thanks!

Xtreme Mentor
    RMA. They are so cheaply made in comparison to industrial sensors that the failure rate is muchhhh higher. RMA. And why do you need flow rate sensors?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    And why do you need flow rate sensors?
    See:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...be-fail-system

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes RMA it. Yeah the spinny ones have a pretty high failure rate from what I've heard. For testing I use the king instruments rotameter ones - you can get them a lot cheaper on ebay. But they are large and take industrial fittings so aren't convenient for most users. Aquacomputer have that new mps one that measures differential pressure which is the best way to do it. You can measure it via aquasuite and a usb cable so you don't have to have the whole aquaero setup - I however haven't personally used it:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...t=aquacomputer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes I have seen those although I would prefer to get something that had a wider rage of function given the cost of these things I would rather have their mechanical one that has the larger rage so I could use it on future builds. But then again 10E is a lot to pay just to get the wider range. Perhaps the smart choice is to just save now and buy what I need in the future when the future actually comes lol.

For the pressure based ones does anyone know how to calibrate them for pure Feser VS.C?

Xtreme Mentor
    Or realize unless your testing parts flow rate and temp sensors are a waste of money and time.

You use Feser liquids? Ack.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
    Yes I have seen those although I would prefer to get something that had a wider rage of function given the cost of these things I would rather have their mechanical one that has the larger rage so I could use it on future builds. But then again 10E is a lot to pay just to get the wider range. Perhaps the smart choice is to just save now and buy what I need in the future when the future actually comes lol.

For the pressure based ones does anyone know how to calibrate them for pure Feser VS.C?
    No idea, maybe post in that AC thread as shoggy seems to check that.

Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Or realize unless your testing parts flow rate and temp sensors are a waste of money and time.

You use Feser liquids? Ack.
    Lol yeah I'm not a fan of overpriced branded coolants unless you're trying to keep a warranty. I actually like to know what the flow rate is and it's handy for debugging when you're not sure why temps are bad. Whenever people ask me why their temps are bad after multiple block mounts the first things I ask are what is your coolant temperature followed by what is your flow rate. Personally I like to know that which is why I like that swiftech put an integrated temp sensor into the maelstrom reservoir. I've been thinking of putting in a bank of five king instruments flow rate meters into my case, mainly because I have the space and it would be cool. Also with 5 loops it's nice to know what the flow rates are and it's harder to notice if one loop is dead and which one it is.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You are using 5 loops in 1 build!? I am in a similar boat in that I use 2 loops and hence the sensors tell me which one is dead if there is a problem (such as when my other pump started to fail).

As for the coolant it has worked great for over 4 years now with no issue and never changing it out. The fact that it is no maintenance saves me a lot of time. If I used water I would have had to flush the system out quite a lot by now. With this I just top it off every few years to make up for what gets lots when the QDs open up. When I change a part I dump the fluid back into the original container (or this 1gal glass jug I got), then I can reuse it when for the new part. So for anyone that is interested in non water I can say the VS.C has worked great.

A long time ago I tired what I believe was called fluid xp, now that was bad! In my future build I am going for the Ice Dragon stuff assuming it is also 0 maintenance like my current coolant has been.

Xtreme Guru
    Fluid XP? Nothing can be worse then coolant shipped with zalman reserators. In all threads about it there is usually big warning to never fill with that , +scary pics of LC components for those, that didn't hear the warning

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Church View Post
    Fluid XP? Nothing can be worse then coolant shipped with zalman reserators. In all threads about it there is usually big warning to never fill with that , +scary pics of LC components for those, that didn't hear the warning
    Yea this was back when it first came out and I was a little noob who had yet found the wonders of these forums yet lol. Oh the wonders of using tubing from home depot as well!