Thread: Shunyata Research Venom 3 Power Cable Ordered! This is one is coming mad fast

Banned

Shunyata Research Venom 3 Power Cable Ordered! This is one is coming mad fast

OK,

Since I have absolutely no clue when the White Night Power Distributor ($50,000) and the ground hanger is coming (or may never arrive), I can't go on without nice toys for the weekend......

So I ordered a Venom 3 molded Power cable from Shunyata Research. It's a $150 power cord, and is 1.5m long. I ordered it via FEDEX OVERNIGHT this mornin'. It's already shipped out. Scheduled arrival date is TOMORROW! Talk about speed! Wee wee Thankfully they gave me incentive discount so the shipping cost was small.

Once I receive it I will start off with photoshoot..... pics time

And plug it on to my HTPC!

And start critiquing.....

Stay tuned.

Xtreme Member
    Please stop making these threads, you are making yourself look stupid.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't trust Tom Jung, I used to work with him over at Analog Music Products Inc. (AMP Inc.) and he would put his name on anything for money.

Xtreme Addict
    What type(s) or shielding does it have?
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by m_jones_ View Post
    Please stop making these threads, you are making yourself look stupid.
    Why? This is an honorable thread with honesty (as always has been). Power cords supposed to have some serious impact to sound, much more so than audio cables.. YMMV depending on the power cord you use and the configuration / spec of your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kain665 View Post
    I don't trust Tom Jung, I used to work with him over at Analog Music Products Inc. (AMP Inc.) and he would put his name on anything for money.
    I don't know Tom Jung. Sounds like an oriental guy. I meant to show pic of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    What type(s) or shielding does it have?
    I didn't design the thing. I am the customer, and going to try it out today. Here is the spec:

FEATURES
    - Corrosion Resistant Contacts
    - Shunyata-designed Medical Grade Connectors
    - Pure OFC (oxygen free) copper wiring
    - RFI/EMI shielding
    - UL Listed

CONSTRUCTION
    - Geometry: Twist-link
    - Conductors: 3
    - Flexible .5" diameter

MAINS CONNECTORS
    - US 5-15P

Notice: Specifications and parts are subject to change without prior notification. COMPONENT CONNECTORS
    - IEC C13 (Standard type connector)
    - IEC C19 (Used for Hydras and some power amps)
    - IEC C14 (Extension cable)

CABLE LENGTH
    - IEC C13: 1.5M
    - IEC C19: 2.0M
    - IEC C14: 2.0M

If you want to know more about what this shielding is made of, as well as the construction process, contact the manufacturer.

The package is already on FedEx vehicle for Delivery.. This is scary fast. Almost the speed of electricity! or Warp 1!

cheez
    Last edited by IamAnoobieCheez; 03-07-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Banned
    Students (you) then would raise their hand and ask me "Why this cable? Why did you choose this over other power cords that cost $1000+?"

Good question. I spent too much money over the last several months (including coconut-audio product) so I don't have extra money left. According to various reviews there has been a lot of hype about the Shunyata Research Venom 3 to be the best performing audio for the money, easily beating $500 power cables. This has been going on for at least few years since the release of the product.

Check out a few of sites that talk about the Venom 3...

http://www.audioaficionado.org/cable...ower-cord.html

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...ds-usa.234676/

I never tried the Venom 3 before. But I am tempted after all these positive reviews and word of mouth. Funny thing, I recently converted a guy at headfi to power cord believer and was a huge success. He was looking for a power cable upgrade for the first time in his audio. I recommended him the Venom 3S (for source - $75) and told him you can thank me later for getting it. And guess what? A few weeks later I received a PM from him and admitted that the cable indeed made a big difference. He says it sounded more solid, meaty, and livelier, with more details, like as if the music has got happy. He thanked me for it and I didn't even try the thing ha ha ... Oh dear

IIRC, absoluteaudio review mentioned somewhere that the $125 Venom 3 held its own against the $1000+ power cables. That's a huge feat.

Other than Patrick's coconut-audio stuff, these were my dream power cords. Nordost makes some real high end stuff also.

Audioquest WEL Signature - starting $6900 for 6ft

Wireworld Platinum Electra - starting $3000 for 2m

cheez
    Last edited by IamAnoobieCheez; 03-07-2013 at 09:57 AM.

If power cords do make some sort of measurable difference, why would that difference not show up when using lab equipment?

We can measure things like "solid, meaty, and livelier" when it naturally occurs in music, and with different speakers/source units. However when it comes to power cords, people always claim they make a difference however no one can measure the difference...

Banned
    According to FedEx website the package is delivered. Still at work.

Damn... that's what I call fast shipping.

Expect to see pics tonight. I'll post up.

cheez

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez View Post
    IIRC, absoluteaudio review mentioned somewhere that the $125 Venom 3 held its own against the $1000+ power cables.
    I'm sure so does my $5 cable. Sorry, but his is ridiculous. I want scientific data, not subjective opinion.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Banned
    ^ Actually it was sub $500 cables compared.. not $1000. But then one of the fellas from other site found this to be almost as good as the $1000 power cord.

It's not the $5 cable. it's the Venom 3 that is not the norm.... If you are so concerned about "scientific measurements" why don't you find out? Or build one and try it? And the question is how you are going to measure, and what? I won't stop you. But for now, let the ears judge. After all, it's your ears that will appreciate the music, not some scientific instrument calculator....

cheez
    Last edited by IamAnoobieCheez; 03-07-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    These threads prove that some people will buy anything. And of course no one will admit that the cable they had to take out a 2nd mortgage for is the exact same thing as a $2 generic power cord.

Xtreme Addict
    Read this page if you have any doubts about whether a power chord can improve quality.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...s/power-cables

Basically the simple answer is No. If the power chord gauge is high enough to provide the correct voltage then there will be no discernible difference.

We see examples of this on these forums all the time because people like JonnyGURU perform PSU tests demonstrating the electrical noise/ripple output by the PSU converting AC into DC ( This is where it really matters ) and the effects it can have on things like overclocking.

NooB MOD
    ^ Actually it was sub $500 cables compared.. not $1000. But then one of the fellas from other site found this to be almost as good as the $1000 power cord.

It's not the $5 cable. it's the Venom 3 that is not the norm.... If you are so concerned about "scientific measurements" why don't you find out? Or build one and try it? And the question is how you are going to measure, and what? I won't stop you. But for now, let the ears judge. After all, it's your ears that will appreciate the music, not some scientific instrument calculator....

cheez
    I'm saying not only is the Venom 3 as good as a $1000 power cable, but so is the el-cheapo I got for $5. Why would I spend $150, more than my rent for a month, to find out that this power cable is a waste of money? There's nothing scientific about a subjective comparison. There's probably a massive placebo effect at play, after forking out $150 on a cable it's GOING TO sound better to you even if everyone else thinks it sounds worse.

I sorry you buy snake oil... Or do you just enjoy trolling? A big part of me really, really hopes you're just a very successful troll because I'd hate to think even a fool could be parted with his money this easily.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    I'm saying not only is the Venom 3 as good as a $1000 power cable, but so is the el-cheapo I got for $5.
    How do you know the $5 cord sounds as good as the $1000 cord? Have you tried it, and auditioned for good amount of time? Also depends on the audio configuration you have.

Why would I spend $150, more than my rent for a month, to find out that this power cable is a waste of money?
    I didn't know your rent is that low. Sounds like 10 people living in one apartment or house. I understand. Not everyone has money to dish out. In your case, the $75 Venom S might be in order.

There's nothing scientific about a subjective comparison.
    How will scientific measurements will result in sound? What exactly are you going to measure? And how do you measure things such as crispness of the treble? the background detail? The tonal palette of the bass? How is measurements going to translate such sounds?

There's probably a massive placebo effect at play
    You are guessing, you haven't even tried it.

after forking out $150 on a cable it's GOING TO sound better to you even if everyone else thinks it sounds worse.
    Are you just guessing again? Some people will prefer bassy and warmth sound while the others will prefer airy treble and cold sound. Some will want in the middle. The subjectivity plays role. Having an aftermarket cable doesn't automatically mean the sound will better. It could give result that some do not prefer.. That's why they have trials, and samples they offer.

I sorry you
    Apology accepted, but I don't feel bad. I'm smiling.

buy snake oil...
    That's because you haven't even tried the aftermarket cables.

Or do you just enjoy trolling? A big part of me really, really hopes you're just a very successful troll because I'd hate to think even a fool could be parted with his money this easily.
    I've said this before. I am not trolling. This is with honesty. I am posting about the power cable I bought and I am about to post my impression shortly.

cheez

Banned
    Received the Venom 3 yesterday. I grabbed my camera for photoshoot.

OK, here is my initial impression about the Venom 3 power cord after listening for the first 3 hours.

Keep in mind that this cord was connected from my cheap powerstrip to the back of my HTPC's power supply.

Immediate difference I noticed was the background instrument come up strong, almost overtaking some of the instruments in the foreground. No it doesn't sound garbled up or anything, each instrument is pretty well defined / articulated. There is increased crispness and strong upper frequencies. The treble has sparks and is good sounding, like chewing a fresh bulk of salary rather than chewing apple? if that makes any sense. This was very notable in *some* of the songs not all. In some other songs I couldn't seem to tell the difference.

No I didn't get the extra oomph in the bass department. The bass didn't come as strong as I hoped. There is not much of impact. Maybe this is why some review / end user mentioned that these cords sound a bit lean.

Maybe the bass impact and weight will increase after burn-in? I don't know. Maybe because I only have one Venom cord connected? to the PC? and not the powered speakers?

Treble is plenty, but I wish it had more weight and punch in the bass line.. like I've said, this is only the first 3 hours of use. I left the PC on before heading to work.

cheez

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Somewhere the guy that sold you that overpriced thing is laughing his ass off that someone was willing to pay for nothing more than a different looking connector and a different sleeve. Maybe I should start buying $5 power cords and prettying them up a bit and selling them to people like you! I'm sure I'll hear back plenty of reports of better audio and FPS....at least from the delusional crowd.

Banned
    Wish I had two more of these so I can plug it to each speaker for fuller effects.

This mornin' I did unplug the Venom 3 from the powerstrip and plugged directly to the wall outlet and turned the PC on and let it running before I left for work. Need to burn-in this thing.

I can't wait to get home! so I can have some more eargasm listening to music. I will follow up with the progress for any further changes in sound. Or anything that I haven't discovered from my first 3 hours of listening.

cheez

Banned
    Here is a testimonial from BillerB from headfi.org. He sent me PM and said this:

Goodolcheez....you just might be crazy to spend $4K on a power distributor but you said to thank you later if I took your advice on the Venom 3.

Ordered one and have been burning it in for the past 5 days and just gave it a good listen tonite for the first time, plugging directly into the wall. AB'd it with the stock cord. Of course

it varies from song to song but there sure is a lot more meat on the bone....and the bone itself has gotten wider. So thanks...was a great tip and a noticeable

improvement. And that's only with a few days of burn-in...I expect the improvement will only get better in time.

Bill
    Btw this was for his Yulong D100 MK2 dac/amp in the audio setup. IIRC, he was one of the guys that was skeptic about power cables... He thanked me and said glad he did.

cheez

NooB MOD
    How do you know the $5 cord sounds as good as the $1000 cord? Have you tried it, and auditioned for good amount of time? Also depends on the audio configuration you have.
    No, I'm not easily parted with my money.

I didn't know your rent is that low. Sounds like 10 people living in one apartment or house. I understand. Not everyone has money to dish out. In your case, the $75 Venom S might be in order.
    First off, I do not care if I get an infraction for this, but:

If you can't converse without dropping to personal attacks, please refer to the above picture and spin on it.

How will scientific measurements will result in sound? What exactly are you going to measure? And how do you measure things such as crispness of the treble? the background detail? The tonal palette of the bass? How is measurements going to translate such sounds?
    Simple. Compare input on one end of the cable to output on the other. Measure frequency, amplitude, etc. If the signal does not change, it CANNOT sound different.

You are guessing, you haven't even tried it.
    Prove me wrong, scientifically.

Are you just guessing again? Some people will prefer bassy and warmth sound while the others will prefer airy treble and cold sound. Some will want in the middle. The subjectivity plays role. Having an aftermarket cable doesn't automatically mean the sound will better. It could give result that some do not prefer.. That's why they have trials, and samples they offer.
    Refer to the above two points.

Apology accepted, but I don't feel bad. I'm smiling.
    So are we, at how easily you and your money are parted.

That's because you haven't even tried the aftermarket cables.
    Nor do I intend to, my IQ is higher than an amoeba with ADD.

I've said this before. I am not trolling. This is with honesty. I am posting about the power cable I bought and I am about to post my impression shortly.
    Do you get that NOBODY HERE CARES? So you may as well quite posting this .
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    (Puts on old scratchy MOD hat) Gentlemen: Please keep it civil..
    Disagree no problem but keep the personal attacks out of the discussion.
    Thank you both!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    So, then this is out of the question MM?

Yes, it is.
    Last edited by Movieman; 03-08-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    24/7 Cruncher #1
    Crosshair VII Hero, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO, 4x8GB GSKILL 3600MHz C15, ASUS TUF 3090 OC
    Samsung 980 1TB NVMe, Samsung 870 QVO 1TB, 2x10TB WD Red RAID1, Win 10 Pro, Enthoo Luxe TG, EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2

24/7 Cruncher #2
    ASRock X470 Taichi, Ryzen 3900X, 4.0 GHz @ 1.225v, Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 AIO, 2x16GB GSKILL NEO 3600MHz C16, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
    Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, Samsung 870 EVO 500GBWin 10 Ent, Enthoo Pro, Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850W

24/7 Cruncher #3
    GA-P67A-UD4-B3 BIOS F8 mod, 2600k (L051B138) @ 4.5 GHz, 1.260v full load, Arctic Liquid 120, (Boots Win @ 5.6 GHz per Massman binning)
    Samsung Green 4x4GB @2133 C10, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Hybrid, Samsung 870 EVO 500GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Rosewill Rise, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2

24/7 Cruncher #4 ... Crucial M225 64GB SSD Donated to Endurance Testing (Died at 968 TB of writes...no that is not a typo!)
    GA-EP45T-UD3LR BIOS F10 modded, Q6600 G0 VID 1.212 (L731B536), 3.6 GHz 9x400 @ 1.312v full load, Zerotherm Zen FZ120
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR3-1600MHz C7, Gigabyte 7950 @1200/1250, Crucial MX100 128GB, 2x1TB WD Red RAID1, Win10 Ent, Centurion 590, XFX PRO650W

Music System
    SB Server->SB Touch w/Android Tablet as a remote->Denon AVR-X3300W->JBL Studio Series Floorstanding Speakers, JBL LS Center, 2x SVS SB-2000 Subs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    No, I'm not easily parted with my money.
    Well, if you can't even afford $75 on a power cable, how do you manage pay for gas and electric bill? A tank of gas will easily run over $50 in a week. Not to mention internet service.... Not trying to troll you. I'm just trying to understand what your situation is.

If you can't converse without dropping to personal attacks, please refer to the above picture and spin on it.
    I wasn't trying to troll you. I just wanted to find out more about money situation so maybe I can help with your setup.

Simple. Compare input on one end of the cable to output on the other. Measure frequency, amplitude, etc. If the signal does not change, it CANNOT sound different.
    It's not simple... I don't think frequency and amplitude alone will get you anything by measuring from one end of the cable to the other. Even if they find difference in measurements (if that is even valid, not all scientists even know what they are doing) how is it going to translate to exactly how it's going to sound?

Prove me wrong, scientifically.
    Read the questions above. I am giving you the opportunity to answer..

So are we, at how easily you and your money are parted.
    It isn't about how to spend more money. It's about how to get better products for better / improved sound that meets one's requirement.

Nor do I intend to, my IQ is higher than an amoeba with ADD.
    I wasn't asking for your IQ. I never said you are stupid. Slow down.

Do you get that NOBODY HERE CARES? So you may as well quite posting this .
    There are actually quite a large number of people that care in the field of audio. they try to find ways to improve, using cables and power cords and experiment. The same cable can have different sonic signature due to the differences in the person's audio configuration. Audio is very complicated, and cannot be taken lightly, like a simple scientific measurements won't give you anything.

cheez

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Enough
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.