Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haswell Mini-ITX news

Xtreme Addict

Haswell Mini-ITX news

Asrock Z87E-ITX seems to have one big difference in the layout compared to Z77E-ITX: The socket have moved away from the PCIe slot.
    http://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/47857/5/

Xtreme Addict
    Thats good news. I love my Z77E-ITX but it is a bit of a pain having the socket right up against the pcie slot.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Addict
    LOL I was hoping to post some more news from CeBIT, but I guess the board makers are focusing on larger form factors as usual.

My Z77E-ITX is great, so I'll keep an eye open for the Z87E-ITX during the next few months.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    ITX is just wonderful. Looks like a nice platform. Finally, we can run large heatsinks again!

I wonder if they can push the OC envelope like Asus did w/ their deluxe board.

What case is that?!
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Oh I forgot, it's ASRocks own case, too big if you're asking me, not interested. What's the point with using a riser if it doesn't make the case thinner?

http://www.computerbase.de/news/2013...i-itx-platine/

Translation: http://translate.google.com/translat...itx-platine%2F

Did you see the first pic?
    In the corresponding article it says the case should be ready for release until Computex.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

Xtremeish
    Have you guys seen the awesome ITX case Prava created a thread about?
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-the-SFF-realm.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    Have you guys seen the awesome ITX case Prava created a thread about?
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-the-SFF-realm.
    Yup, it's nice. The only bad thing is that it only supports short PSU's. The quest for the perfect Mini-ITX case continues..

Huge cases like Prodigy doesn't count IMO, there are even ATX cases that are smaller than 36 l.

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    Yup, it's nice. The only bad thing is that it only supports short PSU's. The quest for the perfect Mini-ITX case continues..
    You gonna put hardware in there that will use in excess of 750W? Good luck with that
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    You gonna put hardware in there that will use in excess of 750W? Good luck with that
    No, I'd like to use a 165 mm modular PSU, which is common these days. Good luck finding a 140 mm fully modular PSU, Gold or Platinum, that's also quiet.. (Silverstone Strider ST55F-G may be the only candidate, dunno if it's quiet tho.)

There's a reason for why they used a 4 year old, 80Plus Bronze, 125 mm Nexus PSU in those renderings: it's unbelievably short and gives the impression that there's more room in the case than it actually is.

*yawn* boring. Mini-ITX is soo 2009.

I want smaller form factors to quickly displace the larger, like intels NUC but even smaller....more like the macbook air mainboard, and even the intel medfield smartphone form factors....but with haswell inside.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dairyFarmer View Post
    I want smaller
    Yeah well I want a 30" display that fits in the palm of my hand. Go figure.

Xtremeish
    No, I'd like to use a 165 mm modular PSU, which is common these days. Good luck finding a 140 mm fully modular PSU, Gold or Platinum, that's also quiet.. (Silverstone Strider ST55F-G may be the only candidate, dunno if it's quiet tho.)

There's a reason for why they used a 4 year old, 80Plus Bronze, 125 mm Nexus PSU in those renderings: it's unbelievably short and gives the impression that there's more room in the case than it actually is.
    I think the first problem would be that it does not seem to support 140mm modular PSU's. I am sure there exists decent 140mm PSU's without spectacle.

To be honest though, even if you could place a 100% modular PSU you would still have a lot of clutter with cables. Given that they usually are quite long, even the "short-cable" kit's will be excessive.
    So it kinda boils down to some hard modding of the PSU's cabling, which is quite easy, but time-consuming.

Xtreme Addict
    With modular cables you're able to shorten the cables without voiding the warranty, and that's why I want it. I thought it was obvious.
    But if it doesn't fit then there's no point I guess.

Xtreme Addict
    Here's a better pic of the Z87E-ITX.

I see six SATA ports, nice.

Xtremeish
    With modular cables you're able to shorten the cables without voiding the warranty, and that's why I want it. I thought it was obvious.
    But if it doesn't fit then there's no point I guess.
    You're right, did not consider this.

And I have nothing but respect for keeping the guarantee on whatever product the person buys, on the other hand 14cm PSU's aren't very expensive and you can always let it run a bit before the modification is done. It's not exactly fool proof though...

Then again I am personally not deterred by warranty stickers, this is a hobby after all and the stakes are quite low =)
    Last edited by Kallenator; 03-06-2013 at 05:28 AM.

Champion
    Nice board indeed, here you can find some close up pictures. The system designed by BMW is not bad either
    Born to lose, live to win!

Xtreme Enthusiast

Huge cases like Prodigy doesn't count IMO, there are even ATX cases that are smaller than 36 l.
    Not really. It depends on whether you plan to use a long VGA or not. Still, you can use an SFX psu and be done with it, its not like you need 500W in there.

Modular won't fit, because the connectors would start by the VGA and there isn't enough space: you have to use either an SFX psu (modular or not, no problem), a short non-modular 140 mm psu... or a very very short psu.

Still I have no idea why you want an efficient power supply in the first place. I want a power supply that has very good voltage stability and ripple suppresion, couldn't care less about efficiency. IMO, gold, platinum and all that are VERY overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    im sure bill gates has always wanted OLED Toilet Paper wipe his butt with steve jobs talking about ipad..
    Mini-review: Q6600 vs i5 2500K. Gpu scaling on games.

Xtreme Addict
    Can solve all those problems with a M1

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Can solve all those problems with a M1

-PB
    problem with M1 is thta its still too too big. this is more like it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by prava View Post
    Not really. It depends on whether you plan to use a long VGA or not. Still, you can use an SFX psu and be done with it, its not like you need 500W in there.
    Well if I didn't consider having a graphics card, then the quest for a good case wouldn't be that hard, right?
    I'm going to use a graphics card, and by the looks of the pics I'd need a card shorter than maybe 200 mm to make room for a longer PSU.
    There's simply not enough room.
    Quote Originally Posted by prava View Post
    Still I have no idea why you want an efficient power supply in the first place. I want a power supply that has very good voltage stability and ripple suppresion, couldn't care less about efficiency.
    I want that as well, but it has to be quiet, and if I'm getting a new PSU there no point in buying old tech.
    It's not really hard to find a PSU with quality output these days..
    Last edited by Mats; 03-08-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by geo View Post
    Yeah saw that as well, both are epic little designs.

Prob with the S3 is I can't find radiators inside it

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I want to put my GTX690 in an M1. I guess manufacturers need to work on making shorter PSUs
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    I want to put my GTX690 in an M1. I guess manufacturers need to work on making shorter PSUs
    Well it it had room for a PSU above the CPU, it would be no problem.

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by geo View Post
    M1 is big-ish, but it uses the space very efficiently. In terms of xtreme performance, where you will be able to fit a large CPU-cooler, 3-slot graphic card and even tiny watercooling(external) if you feel for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    PSU choice is limited, but you can do that with products available today. *With the drawbacks Mats and I was arguing about. ^^

Well it it had room for a PSU above the CPU, it would be no problem.
    Don't you think that defeats it's compact form a bit?

How about:
    PCI-E extender than enabled you to put dual slot graphic-cards one slot closer to the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast