Thread: 1090t, ch4-f, stuck at 4.5ghz max, limited by board?

Xtreme Addict

1090t, ch4-f, stuck at 4.5ghz max, limited by board?

Hey dudes, anyways I tried clocking my cpu last night after I got my new cooler and case setup.
    The x60 water cooler, while not built that well, is probably thee best cooler I've ever own.

Temps max at 43c tops, that's at 1.6v cpu voltage, that's as high as I went.
    The prob is, the thing goes out of wack after about 1.4v, and it won't even try to boot my boot manager at 4.75ghz at all.

Here's the thing, +0.1v offset is right around the area I need to get 4.5ghz stable.
    At +0.11v it's less stable even though the temps are fine.
    Higher then that and it gets even less stable.
    Lower, more stable.

I know this cpu can do the 4.5ghz easy.
    Heck it looks like I can 4.75ghz or even 5ghz but from what i can tell the board is holding me back.

The chipset, nb temps are getting up to 47c, that's high I know.
    I'm gonna have to add a fan over top of that thing directly.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Because my temps seem great to me, then cpu wants to play but there's something just holding it back.

I plan on buying a new intel probably at the end of the year, I'm waiting to see if there's gonna be any new cpu's and boards.
    But for now, I'de to clock this setup as far as she goes.

Cpu-nb limits for me at 3ghz.
    Mem limits at 2128mhz, this is stable, but I can't increase the cpu-nb higher to match it all.
    Then there's the cpu, which is flaking out at the 4.5ghz, which there seems to be something wrong with the voltage regulation or the bios maybe.

I really don't wanna buy a $200-300 board just to get the clocks up on this cpu and mem, only to find out that it's still slower anyways because of the newer bios'es for the fx chips (that would be my luck...).

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Hey dudes, anyways I tried clocking my cpu last night after I got my new cooler and case setup.
    The x60 water cooler, while not built that well, is probably thee best cooler I've ever own.

Temps max at 43c tops, that's at 1.6v cpu voltage, that's as high as I went.
    The prob is, the thing goes out of wack after about 1.4v, and it won't even try to boot my boot manager at 4.75ghz at all.

Here's the thing, +0.1v offset is right around the area I need to get 4.5ghz stable.
    At +0.11v it's less stable even though the temps are fine.
    Higher then that and it gets even less stable.
    Lower, more stable.

I know this cpu can do the 4.5ghz easy.
    Heck it looks like I can 4.75ghz or even 5ghz but from what i can tell the board is holding me back.

The chipset, nb temps are getting up to 47c, that's high I know.
    I'm gonna have to add a fan over top of that thing directly.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Because my temps seem great to me, then cpu wants to play but there's something just holding it back.

I plan on buying a new intel probably at the end of the year, I'm waiting to see if there's gonna be any new cpu's and boards.
    But for now, I'de to clock this setup as far as she goes.

Cpu-nb limits for me at 3ghz.
    Mem limits at 2128mhz, this is stable, but I can't increase the cpu-nb higher to match it all.
    Then there's the cpu, which is flaking out at the 4.5ghz, which there seems to be something wrong with the voltage regulation or the bios maybe.

I really don't wanna buy a $200-300 board just to get the clocks up on this cpu and mem, only to find out that it's still slower anyways because of the newer bios'es for the fx chips (that would be my luck...).
    I know this exactly I can't past 4.3ghz with voltage up to 1.66 droops on load to 1.55. but was still unstable

The board is 8+2 phases I don't think it's holding you back. It may be the chip doesn't like to run all cores are that high of a speed speed. I can run up to 4.2ghz on all cores, any higher and I get BSod's and restarts.

simple solution try running AOD with the other cores set at lowest speed you can set them I think it's 1.6ghz.
    The use affinity in task-manger and test each core separately.

example

all cores set to 4.3ghz BSOD restarts. Use AOD to One core set to 4.3ghz other set to 1.6ghz No bsod and stable tests pass.
    My temps weren't high either.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Addict
    Ok I'll try that .
    I'll try to disable the cores from the bios and see how that goes, etc etc.

I did get 2128mhz mem stable along with 3192mhz cpu-nb+ht stable all at the same time .
    That was with a 100% nb llc, and +0.15v offset.
    +0.125v offset locked me up when I was in the middle of editing my post above (was testing at the same time).
    I tried +0.1375v but that is acting up a tad bit.
    I'm gonna set it around +0.145v and let it go while I goto bed.
    When I'm done testing with s&m's memory test I gotta run a few hours of y cruncher and mafia2 just to make sure the voltages are correct.
    Then I'm off to play with the cpu again.

What held me back from this nb speed before was my case of all things.
    This new one is metal, last one was plexiglass or whatever they call it.
    Apparently electrical noise becomes an issue past 3ghz cpu-nb.
    I never noticed anyone mention that before on these cpu's...

You're temp-limited..If you could make it colder,you could clock higher.That's a nice 1090T

Ch4 is a really nice board.No problems with abusing it over and over.One of the strongest boards made.

Cooling is your only problem..You may want to point a fan @ the VRM sinks..

Hey! You could disable 2 cores and probably clock higher

don't quote me on this ..but 1509 or 1703..
    Last edited by schmuckley; 03-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If you check the sticky thread about Thuban overclocks, there are barely anything at 4.2 GHz or more. Actually, just one at almost 4.5 GHz. I doubt Thuban is physically capable of more, so the 4.75-5 GHz that you're thinking about are out of the realm of the possible.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zir_blazer View Post
    If you check the sticky thread about Thuban overclocks, there are barely anything at 4.2 GHz or more. Actually, just one at almost 4.5 GHz. I doubt Thuban is physically capable of more, so the 4.75-5 GHz that you're thinking about are out of the realm of the possible.
    This is pretty spot on. My Thuban was only fully stable right under 4ghz on a TRUE Black and open air setup. Clock it back and try tuning CPUNB and RAM. Definitely not a motherboard being "flaky" issue, just the nature of these CPUs.
    Heatware
    filmbot

Xtreme Addict
    Cpu is at stock speed and max neg voltage offset the bios allows, no turbo.
    +0.15v offset 100% llc for the cpu-nb was needed spot on to pass s&m's mem test.
    +0.1625v wasn't enough for y cruncher.
    I'm testing higher, I have to go back in the bios to remember what I actually set, but I'm gonna wait for the 8hr run of y cruncher to finish if it can, seems promising though, if it's not stable then it's close.

I can't very well post a screen of aida64 benching when it's doing this...
    This is my results so far:

I should note I haven't verified that I need more then 50% llc on the cpu-nb.
    But I'm using 100% for now.

Edit:
    +0.175v offset for cpu-nb was only 5.1hrs stable in y cruncher.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 03-05-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Banned
    What makes you folks think that you can easily go higher without chilled or freon type cooling? 4.3 GHz. on a Thuban is excellent on air or unchilled water.

Xtreme Addict
    It's putting up more of a fight then I thought.
    270 was so close to being halfway stable too, mem don't like it though (maybe it wants cooling).
    I'm not even sure what voltages I got set for the cpu-nb and mem right now.
    I gotta get some sleep.

Xtreme Member
    4.5 oc on air is insane for a Thuban
    Don't kill that nice chip with silly air overclocking...if you want to get moar mhz out of it get a pot and dry ice

Xtreme Enthusiast
    As already mentioned, your temp limited. What you need to understand is stars architecture stability relies on colder temps the higher you OC. Your have a decent chip. My Deneb can run daily at 4.3Ghz, bench 3D at 4.4Ghz, and boot into windows x64 as high as 4.7Ghz on air. However, the higher and higher I clock it the lower the threshold for temperature. At 4.5Ghz, even 45C is too warm and I get errors.

Ryzen 3800X @ 4.4Ghz
    MSI X570 Unify
    32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL14
    Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
    OCZ Gold 850W ZX Series
    Thermaltake LV10

Xtreme Addict
    @FlawleZ
    I see, I was thinking last night anyways that 4.5ghz is probably what I'm gonna shoot for.

Anyways I just woke up.

The screenshot I previously posted with y cruncher at 8 hrs had these settings.
    sm yc m2 stable:
    1.6875v mem 2128
    +0.203125v cpu-nb 3192
    1.2125v fsb/ht 266/3192

Here's a new one:

I lowered the cpu-nb voltage and kept the higher mem voltage.
    I'll brb, gonna grab the value from the bios.

Edit:
    CPU-NB is at offset +0.1875v, around 14hrs y cruncher stable.
    I hope I'm almost done with this cpu-nb thing...

Edit:
    Now testing y cruncher at +0.175v cpu-nb offset.

Tested +0.1875v offset on farcry 3 and it was stable for 20mins.
    +0.203125v was not farcry 3 stable.

I think I can get the cpu-nb and mem even higher but it could take a month or 2 to break in and to figure out the exact values it might need.
    For now I'm gonna run with 266 and then when I'm satisfied that it's 100% stable I'll work on getting the cpu speed up there.

I haven't added any fans to cool the motherboard yet, I need to buy some ferrite beads too, but I need to figure out the diameter of the 2 diff cable sizes 1st.
    The atx cable is the big one, I need to get 2-4 snap on ferrite beads on that, big cable though, probably need a min 13mm diameter.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 03-06-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Oi, 4.5ghz on air is good. Its a nice chip you've got there indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme 3D Team
    @NEO you aren't going to get much better than the CH4F anyway, it is THE board for Phenom II...all the new boards have crap efficiency anyway except the half-*** Gigabyte 900 chipset boards. CH5F is slow with Phenom II and clocking CPU-NB/RAM is a little tricky depending on BIOS version.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    4.5ghz is pretty awesome, especially with that cooling. GJ and grats on a kick ass chip
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Addict
    I'm stressed out today for some odd reason, even though I just got my truck working again yesterday.
    So I decided to play around with some more clocking tests, to see if it's do the 275...

And yeppers, to my surprise it did get 3.3ghz cpu-nb s&m stable .
    That's one heck of a leap, from 3ghz to 3.3ghz on this thing...
    I would like to note that when I 1st got 3ghz 100% stable, it took me +0.18125v or whatever to get it.
    And then later on all it took was just a hair above +0.11v.
    I'm probably not gonna push this any further on the cpu-nb, I mean I'm not gonna y crunch this speed yet.
    I'm gonna wait until I do some work on the cooling and add ferrite beads to it.
    Reason is I think I'm overdoing it now, and i'de rather wait until i can get the volts a bit lower and the setup more stable.

Oh, and at 266, I can pass y cruncher all I want now, but it still hardlocks once in a great while on random things.
    Happened twice so far.
    I think it's probably the memory, but then again maybe it's not enough voltage for the cpu-nb, stuff I'll have to work on.

Here's my 275mhz shot, 3.3ghz cpu-nb, mem was downclocked to get that out of the way.

Xtreme Mentor
    You might have to clock that down abit when you push the cores to 4.5ghz again. But still very good
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab