Thread: build Loudspeaker with a cnc machine

build Loudspeaker with a cnc machine

Hello guys,
    i have build two frontspeakers to test my new Cnc Machine. I looked for a small 2way frontspeaker with a 6,5" driver. There i found the Quickly 18 by Udo Wolgemuth. The kit will be cost 144€, And this speaker are a realy good investment. The speaker have a volume of 18liters. Not to small but not to large for a small room about 18qm. As bass, he select a Gradient Select W176-4. SPL is good about 89DB. MMS is convincingly with 15,8gr and the Fs sounds promising about 40hz.
    As tweeter he select the 1" Gradient Select GDT 104 N. The tweeter generated 92db and he must cut up to 1500hz. For a first build a try it with 19mm MDF.
    Ok, just stress testing the cnc machine.

Ok, the parts are done. Now i must glue the parts to form a box. Its also important as the accuraty of the blanks. Admittedly, the blanks are more accurate as the stick because i tried this in first time. Buts its ok. Then it will be hard to sand all surfaces well. I am happy the cnc machine works accurate. But i have fear to break a milling cutter. There i work to slow and the garage was extremly dusty. It was hard to get it clean together. I have collect aprox. 30L dust in a big garbage bag. My diy extraction does not work -.-
    Ok, now we have a Box. Time to present the speaker and the frequence flank.

Also we have a finish box. Now i must put the frequence flank and the driver in to the Box and connect the cable to the terminals. Ok, all done. Time to hearing. I'am suprised. The small box goes big. At first, i have checked, is the subwoofer on? Ok, the sub was off. Amazing what generate a deep frequenze the tiny speaker. The Tweeter works good. Not to softly and not to hard but very clearly for this price. All tests are succefully and i had never heared more hifi for 144?. Before, i had Wharfedale Diamond 8.2. (250€) They have a 6,5" driver too. But this speaker get out about 55hz. The Quickly 18 works good up to 45hz. Deeper the speaker plays diffident. 45hz is ok for the natural music. Electronic, you take a subwoofer to support the speaker.

It was a nice project to test the cnc machine. Coming next, i will build a tiny active Speaker with a 4" woofer. The woofer have a xmax up to 9.5mm and the volume is 4L. Its a combination with a Aurasound NT1-204-8FB and a Aurasound NS3-193-8AB. The Box was called CT227 MKII. But in this project, i will veneer the surfaces. Its a next step to build a 5.1 System. I will build the Vota 1 Vota 2 and vota 3 by Udo Wolgemuth. I hope these are my masterpieces.

Best regards Marc

€dit:
    Specs about the cnc machine:
    XYZ: 630x1180x130mm
    weight: i think 600-700Kg
    Vmax: 17m/min in X and Yaxis| Z axis 6m/min
    Accuraty: about 0.05mm
    16mm ballscrew spindles
    digital amplifier up to 5,6A - 80V
    4A Stepper
    Linerguidings on Y axis 25mm, X and Z axis 20mm

Last edited by al_bundy; 03-03-2013 at 01:25 AM.

XIP
    Awesome work

Xtreme Legend
    Nice work but we need to know more about the machine.... where from?, how much?

Got any advice for people looking to buy such a machine?

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

The machine is born in austria. I buy the machine from a friend. 4500eu. But i edit the both portalplates. Original: 20mm Steel. Now i build in aluminium. One portalplate is 96mm thick! Important thing to mill fast and in good quality. Important are the propulsion too. Ballscrew is duty because we dont have a backlash and can work faster then other spindles. Very important too is the wight. Much material will guaranteed nice surfaces because we have minimal resonance on the machine. microstep can almost amplifiers. 1/4step is enough. Lower is better. -> 1/8step or 1/16step. Better are servomotors, but these things are very expensive. Aprox 1000eu/axis without glasscale. Glasscale aprox 1000eu/meter.
    Then you need a good Motospindle. Kress and co does not work succefully. I have broken 3-4 Kress FM 6990E. Then i bought a Suhner 23UAL RF. This motorspindel is better, but the bearings damage after 600 hours and the repair does cost 200eu. There i will make a try with a china motorspindle for around 120eu. I bought three because i think the motor will broken in 300-600hours. Any Pix of the china motor spindle:

Specs:
    1.5Kw
    Air cooled
    ER 16
    24.000r/min
    220V
    400hz
    runout of less 0.005mm (manufacture specs.) real is 0.06mm - 0.11mm

Runout of less is very important. If you work with a failure of 0.05mm, the tools does not work a long time. Good dimension are 0.01 - 0.03mm on the flute. You can see on last picture, the surfaces to the cone does not smooth. This is the problem. Then we must polished and refined after receive the spindle motor.
    I have bought the china spindles because i use a HSD spindle Motor on another machine. The bearings (ceramic) are damage after 1500hours. And this spindle motor will cost around 1000eu. Its very expensive, if i must change the motor every 1500hours. If the china motor alive more then 450hours, it will be cheaper then the HSD. The china spindle does not in use. I will mount, if the Hsd is broken together.

HSD Spindel motor:
    Specs:
    3.0Kw
    Air cooled
    ER 25
    24.000r/min
    220V
    400hz
    runout of less 0.01mm (manufacture specs.) real is 0.02mm

But i have another solution. Yesterday i received an IBAG HF 80 Spindlemotor. Its a proffessional spindlemotor with automatic toolchange.
    Specs:
    1.9Kw
    Liquid Cooled
    SK 16
    50.000r/min
    400V
    1000hz
    automatic toolchange
    sealing air
    runout of less 0.001mm (manufacture specs.) real is ???

This is a very nice motor spindle. The bearing will work over 4500hours. But, if the motor is broken, it will will be very expensive :-( may be 3000-5000eu. Then i need any things to can use it. I need a very big compressor with 90L tank. I need a coolingdevice to hold the temperatur in a range of 25-35?C. I need an airdry'er to dry the air from the compressor. And i need a device to lubricate the bearings. After i have recieved this parts, a need a tool holder. One toolholder for one tool will be cost 200eu. I need 8-12 tool holder. This amusement is most expensive as my wife :-)

brand new pictures

Last edited by al_bundy; 03-03-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Xtreme Legend
    Thank you. It seems I asked the right person who has the necessary knowledge.

This will remain a dream for me I think..... Those prices are beyond anything I could spend on a hobby but maybe the Chinese motors would be ok for design or art for things like cases when a lesser machine can do the job

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

c[_]
    I'd love one of those.. have to make do with my old hand-crank milling machine lol

Have you thought of modifying the spindle motors to add grease points to the bearings?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

No, I have no idea about this mod.

Xtreme Mentor
    Those look great for doing yourself! You may want to consider though, of orienting the coils on different axises. That will prevent one coil from affecting the other coil's field. Have you considered using any wood veneers? Probably a lot harder than it looks, but could be a great hobby to get in to.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

I dont understand, also i have translate with google. I'am from Germany and my english is bad -.- Can you tell differently?

Xtreme Mentor
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Banned
    Sweet looking speakers and CNC toys. Oh what we could do with that machine if time and money were no object!

c[_]
    Nice link Nanometer

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.