Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to Skinnee Labs?

Even though I don't water cool my computer except for the CPU (Corsair H100i) I really miss SkinneeLabs a lot. They are such nice guys and are good in what they are doing so I pray to God that they will come back online with some more of their nice and reliable tests.

The test I'm looking forward to is ProlimaTech PK-2 & PK-3 Thermal Compounds in comparison to the good old ProlimaTech PK-1 Thermal Compound that use all the time.

Regards, Bengt "WOLF" Johansson.
    Last edited by TWP-WOLF; 06-26-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    The WOLF is Neither People's Competitor Nor His Enemy. The WOLF is a Fellow Creature With Whom The Earth Must Be Shared.

Banned
    As confirmed by many tests the top ~25 TIMs will produce about the same CPU/GPU/APU temp within a couple degrees C. A couple degrees C difference in temp between TIMs doesn't actually produce any tangible performance difference in most cases. Thus picking any of the top ~25 TIMs will result in the same real world CPU performance.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2024/4/

More analysis of the same data doesn't actually change the lack of impact that TIMs have on real world CPU/GPU/APU temp and performance. Without big changes in processor temps, there are only minute changes in performance.

Never go full retard
    Thread necro warning... website issues are finally being resolved, looks like we'll have to rebuild it from backups and pieces, but the images are being restored now, so at least that content will be available while we work towards getting the database and articles live again. ETA, no idea, we'll see how much we can squeeze in with RL commitments taking precedence.

Hope you all are doing well!
    Cheers,
    Cameron

I am Xtreme
    Skinnee got fat so it is now Fat Labs Testing
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Guru
    Skinnee: glad to see you back! Testing scene with most veteran guys retiring and only stren joined anew got somewhat empty. Damn RL toll

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thank you Skinee & crew!
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Glad to see you around.

Been out of it myself for almost a year now for a big move and job change. For me I just lost interest, new town, new outdoor activities and a new job that I actually enjoy working. I even go into work on weekends regularly for fun...never thought that would happen.

I guess I was finally successful in finding a job I really like, no need to augment it with volunteer work and stress anymore. I may still do some occasional dabbling in testing but I'm letting my site hosting and domain expire this spring as well. I think my data may still roll over to a Wordpress ad supported domain of some sorts but I'm done paying for hosting and such on mine and something will change there as well.

Hope to see ya around as a user. No need for more testing or reviving old data, just enjoy yourself.

Take it easy,
    Martin

Xtreme Guru
    Martin: please, don't let expire your site quietly without call for voluntary rehosting first. Too much useful nfo for this hobby spread among many of your tests there.
    BTW, if any of you guys return to testing, what do you think of taking some very popular rad like RX or MCR and test/compare efficiency on testbench/mounted in case/with common dust filters (eg. demciflex) added. One thing data for all the rads you guys tested over the years, but it probably is somewhat in ideal conditions with unrestricted airflow and alike, and would be nice to find out aproximate ratio of how much less cooling can be expected from rad when it's mounted (as it's more common) inside. Or it might be even for two rads on different ends of scale, one high fpi and another of sparse fpi, to catch trends if they will differ (or not).
    Last edited by Church; 01-27-2014 at 08:17 AM.

I am Xtreme
    If they returned to testing I would REALLY want to see a complete shootout of CURRENT tech including the range of AIO coolers.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Guru
    Imho average people here are not that much interested in subpar to even best air coolers cooling. Others made from almost normal LC components like swiftech's kit are already tested. If testing is done thoroughfuly with proper testing methodics, it takes lot of time, so some priority management is needed. Of course all of that IF they decide at all to return to testing scene

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Church View Post
    Martin: please, don't let expire your site quietly without call for voluntary rehosting first. Too much useful nfo for this hobby spread among many of your tests there.
    BTW, if any of you guys return to testing, what do you think of taking some very popular rad like RX or MCR and test/compare efficiency on testbench/mounted in case/with common dust filters (eg. demciflex) added. One thing data for all the rads you guys tested over the years, but it probably is somewhat in ideal conditions with unrestricted airflow and alike, and would be nice to find out aproximate ratio of how much less cooling can be expected from rad when it's mounted (as it's more common) inside. Or it might be even for two rads on different ends of scale, one high fpi and another of sparse fpi, to catch trends if they will differ (or not).
    No need, I just checked. Feb 26th my site should auto revert to the wordpress free name:
    https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com

Just a domain change and wordpress ads will turn on. Service may be a little slower, but as far as I know it should be much the same just a domain name swap and ads turning on.

When I moved I had to close all of my old accounts including paypal.

No worries, should be fine.

If anyone was going to try dust filter testing, I'd suggest using an anemometer based test rig. That would be MUCH faster and should be just as accurate in comparing net performance loss and relative restriction. IMO filters and even many blinged out grills are pretty bad. I personally avoid them and have routinely cut them out on cases.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 01-27-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    If anyone was going to try dust filter testing, I'd suggest using an anemometer based test rig. That would be MUCH faster and should be just as accurate in comparing net performance loss and relative restriction. IMO filters and even many blinged out grills are pretty bad. I personally avoid them and have routinely cut them out on cases.
    but you absolutely need those if you live in an apartment that has
    a) high traffic road just outside of your window
    b) room temps of 30c unless you keep your windows open
    c) lazy like me living in it

oh and welcome back, haven't seen you in a while

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Church View Post
    Imho average people here are not that much interested in subpar to even best air coolers cooling. Others made from almost normal LC components like swiftech's kit are already tested. If testing is done thoroughfuly with proper testing methodics, it takes lot of time, so some priority management is needed. Of course all of that IF they decide at all to return to testing scene
    You might find they are not sub par. Also, this is a SMALL community (XS). I am thinking much larger When you have had the experiences I have been blessed with lately you tend to think a little wider.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I agree on the AIO/CLC roundup need. There is a huge and growing market there of people that are willing to spend $100-$150 on premium cooling but also want easy.

Likely far more users in that market than full custom DIY cooling.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 01-27-2014 at 06:02 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    I agree on the AIO/CLC roundup need. There is a huge and growing market there of people that are willing to spend $100-$150 on premium cooling but also want easy.

Likely far more users in that market than full custom DIY cooling.
    no comparison for sure. XS members tend to be uber niche funny to read

Xtreme Addict
    Hey, guys, welcome back! Skinnee, get that YouTube channel going, too! I used your GPU water block installation tutorial vid to get my first 3-Way SLI system up and running!
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Never go full retard
    Site is back... feel free to run the aisles.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    Site is back... feel free to run the aisles.
    Thanks !

Xtreme Guru
    Go Bender, Go Bender, Go!
    Nice pic and glad to see it back.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Glad to see it back!

Good to hear, welcome back.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Love will tear us apart
    Yay
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

:woop: Party in aisle 3!
    HARDWARE
    CPU: Intel i7-6700K - Delided and repaste w/Liquid Metal
    RAM: 4x4GB Kingston CL15 3000
    MB: Gigabyte Z170x-UD5-TH
    GPU: *Waiting for Vega*
    AUDIO: M-Audio Firewire Audiophile
    HD:
    *waiting for NVME drive*
    1x512Gb Samsung 850 Pro
    2x150Gb Raptors RAID 0
    PSU:
    EVGA 850 P2
    Meanwell 320w-12(Running 13.4v for pumps)
    MNT:Acer 2423W & HP ZR24W

COOLING

CPU: Swiftech Apogee GTZ
    GPU: *SOME WATERBLOCK FOR VEGA*
    RAD: BlackIce III Extreme
    PMP: 2xLang D5 in series
    TUB: 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Tygon Silver Antimicrobial
    FANs:
    3xDelta EFB1212SHE TriBlade
    2xSharktoon SK-2000-80
    2xCM Excalibur
    1xDelta GFB1212VHW