Thread: Ok WTF - an50r help

Ok WTF - an50r help

I made a post not too long ago about getting my an50r and 3000+...basically i put the :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:j together, when i plug in the power cord all i get is an amber light by the vdimm, green light by atx power connecter....basically i tested everyhting...powersupply. clearing cmos, the works, nothing could get it to power on and get the fans spinning, so i RMA'ed the board...well i got my new one back today...and low and behold, its the same damned problem. I have no idea what is going on and am frankly pissed. What could possibly be wrong, are the chances of 2 DOA an50r's that realistc?

Xtreme Mentor
    Same board?

Have you done the normal....

Try it outside case on a non-conductive surface, bare minimum of hardware?

If it is a different board you must be missing something...

Xtreme Addict
    Simple, because the AN50R wasn't the problem.

The problem I think is that something is shorting out the board, re-do your wiring.

Make sure too many 5v+ fans are not connected directly to your MB.

make sure your HS is mounted properly and that your 12v + Power connector are securely "fastened". Then try to hit the power switch and see if any changes occur.

If all that happens is the board lights go on and fans spin but no post, it means your CPU is dead.

Hope this helps

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Have you tried booting the board with just the cpu(and heatsink/fan), memory, and video card attached? Don't connect anything else and just see if you can get something on your screen.

Also, you didn't have the power supply connected when you put your memory in did you? Jason made a couple good posts about this and basically you never want to touch the memory if the light nearest the DIMM slots is lit.

it sitton n a antisatic bag, on the foam pad thing it came with on my table...only thing plugged in is the 4 pin power thing and the 12 pin power thing...and the cpu w/ the slk-948 on it...i hit the power button on the mobo, and i get nothing....

no vid card is in itshould the damn cpu fan start spinning at least? nothing happens!

why is a vid card needed to power on the system

None of the fans spin, with all of nothing plugged in...just those 2 damn lights. I mean this power on button directly on the motherboard should power it up right...

i had the retail cooler o the old mobo...yes the plastic is there..should i try removing the cpu totally? it should at least power the fans on right..even w/o cpu

Xtreme Addict
    Don't try to run mobo without a CPU.

Remove everything, clean off the CPU/Heatsink, re-apply TIM.

Place CPU in socket, this time carefully place the heatsink on making sure the side with the lowered height is on the right side of the CPU slot so that your heatsink makes contact with the CPU.

then install the fan, try running everything out of the board on the box the mobo came with. Put in CPU/Vid card/Power supply, and ram.

See if it boots up and posts.

I actually have another suggestion, are you sure your Power switch (by 'Power Switch' I mean the one on your case that you push to turn on the comp) is connected properly to the mobo? You might have it turned upside down and thus when you hit power nothing would happen.

Try those and see if it works hope it helps ya m8!

I'm using the power on button that is directly on the motherboard when i try to boot it up

Anyone?!

I had same problem with my Shuttle AN50R. Board just completely refused to power on. Only way to get it to boot was change power supply! I used Enermax 431W and it seem to work flawlessly and then just no power at all. I removed all power chords various times and checked all connectors. I suspected that I have somehow broken the motherboard itself.

Then I plugged Zalman 400W on and everything seem to work again. I suspect that there is some problems with low +5Vsb. I hope this helps. (BTW after one boot with Zalman 400W, Enermax seem to work again.. so weird)

Same thing with my AN50R. Connect everything, turn on power supply (fortron source 530w), then turn on motherboard and nothing. I turned off the power supply, let the lights go out, then turned the power supply back on and tried the motherboard again and it fired up. Almost like it needed to charge up. Weird. I've had two that have done that.

K i changed powersupply to my §§§§ty ass 420watt rubo link..and it powered up....this is weird cuz my 530 fortron can power up my current system which leads me to believe the smaller 4 pin mobo connector thing is bad, as my other 2 systems do not require that connection....any thoughts?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    glad u got it working...

also, some PSU won't power up until HDD is connected...

that what happened to me two weeks ago with my nf7-s... board died and my hdd smoked... after i switched mobos, system wouldn't power up. i was pissed coz i thought that $200 PSU is f.... up! called PC Power and Cooling and they sent me PSU tester since this PSU need some minimum load on 5v and 12v to power up... got tester, hooked up to ATX connector and voila... worked.

AMD Fanboy
    a PCP&C needs 1 to 2 amps pull on teh 5v line to properly regulate its voltages. i poweerd my PCPC&C 300 on with nothing plugged in and my voltages were CRAZY. all over the board, way high or low.
    Dell Studio XPS16... no desktop
    yes i have AIM, yes you can send me a message. EvilSpork3 i dare you.

Xtreme Mentor
    Originally posted by MickeyMouse
    WHAT!! LOL a harddrive?? I think you've ingested to much thermal compound there

all any PSU needs to turn over is the green ATX connector to be grounded so maybe your ATX molex on the forton is loose of something..

Sorry your tower of knowledge IS leaning a bit, some PSU's DO require a load, not many, it was relatively common in the AT days.

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Originally posted by xxeckoxx
    this is weird cuz my 530 fortron can power up my current system which leads me to believe the smaller 4 pin mobo connector thing is bad, as my other 2 systems do not require that connection....any thoughts?
    I just had a strange thing happen with my 530w Fortron and my AN50R. For some reason it will not allow the system to boot when I have an AGP video card plugged in. As soon as I swap the power supply or swap to a PCI video card, the system starts normally.

Something's fishy 'round here...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yep, true...
    even when i called PPCaC and told them that my PSU is dead first question i was asked whether i had working HDD connected to PSU... then i told him it's dead too... so they sent me this tester...