Thread: Current State and Future of AMD Radeon Graphics: Teleconference Transcript

Xtremely Kool

Current State and Future of AMD Radeon Graphics: Teleconference Transcript

Xtreme Mentor
    1. they didn't mentioned anything about price of titan. so titan can make a surprise for us about its price.
    2. if amd can make developers make games with 11.1 then i can easily say yes they got them.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    ARES II costs nearly ?1200. That is more than 1.5x the price of a GTX 690, which will likely be similar to the pricepoint of Titan. If Titan costs less than the GTX 690 the ARES II will be competing with 2xTitan in SLI not in single GPU configuration.
    ARES II is reliant on crossfire scaling for it's performance, single-card Titan will not have any multi-GPU scaling issues.
    ARES II is priced ridiculously compared to 2x 7970 Ghz Edition cards - nearly twice the price - leaving ?500 for custom watercooling should you want to better ARES II performance.
    ARES II is a power-hog compared to a GTX 690 and equal to two 7970 GE cards in Crossfire.
    There is no way I can buy this spin that the ARES II is in anyway comparable to a regular SKU. It is a purely marketing-driven product that makes very little sense to purchase.

If AMD had just said that they were focussing on the ?300-350 price point for the high-end (HD7970) and leaving higher price points to their partners, whose products such as the HD7990 and ARES II would compete with the competitors higher priced products it would have come off far better. AMD can defend and promote their product line-up in terms of their market position, so why they would try and spin it this way, when it is clearly spin, is beyond me.

*Pound sign is showing up as a question marks when I post to board.*

Xtreme Mentor
    here ARESII is 2500 usd a little lower then 2x price of 690.

i agree with what you said. also titan is a marketing driven product. single card with that price is senseless but if you compare it to aresii it is more logical then anything.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    1. they didn't mentioned anything about price of titan. so titan can make a surprise for us about its price.
    2. if amd can make developers make games with 11.1 then i can easily say yes they got them.
    Isn't 11.1 tied to windows 8 though? If so making games in it will be kinda stupid. How many people are actually moving to 8, it seems to be less popular than vista.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    Isn't 11.1 tied to windows 8 though? If so making games in it will be kinda stupid. How many people are actually moving to 8, it seems to be less popular than vista.
    yes but it wont hurt windows7 users but will favour win8 amd users

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by onewingedangel View Post
    ARES II costs nearly ?1200. That is more than 1.5x the price of a GTX 690, which will likely be similar to the pricepoint of Titan. If Titan costs less than the GTX 690 the ARES II will be competing with 2xTitan in SLI not in single GPU configuration.
    ARES II is reliant on crossfire scaling for it's performance, single-card Titan will not have any multi-GPU scaling issues.
    ARES II is priced ridiculously compared to 2x 7970 Ghz Edition cards - nearly twice the price - leaving ?500 for custom watercooling should you want to better ARES II performance.
    ARES II is a power-hog compared to a GTX 690 and equal to two 7970 GE cards in Crossfire.
    There is no way I can buy this spin that the ARES II is in anyway comparable to a regular SKU. It is a purely marketing-driven product that makes very little sense to purchase.

If AMD had just said that they were focussing on the ?300-350 price point for the high-end (HD7970) and leaving higher price points to their partners, whose products such as the HD7990 and ARES II would compete with the competitors higher priced products it would have come off far better. AMD can defend and promote their product line-up in terms of their market position, so why they would try and spin it this way, when it is clearly spin, is beyond me.

*Pound sign is showing up as a question marks when I post to board.*
    I agree with you for the AresII, but thats not the only 7990.. and it look like some new models will come .. I think his point was more to put the emphasis on the 7990 instead of pushing only the AresII . ( but its a monster, higher clock of reference 7970Ghz (1100mhz ) )..The card is nowhere comparable, even with the 690 ( because it is not a reference card, but a complete non reference limited version ( PCB, power, hybride h2o/air cooler etc etc ). But today it is the most monstruous gpu never been made (even TDP and price wise lol ) and this is surely why they was use this comparaison. ( whatever we like this gpu or not ) .

The Titan perf will not be on the same level of a 2x or dual 7970 or a dual 680/690 in term of performance. ( i dont like too compare 2 gpu on a single board or not with a single gpu, but cant blame them to do it if they are not ready to release Sea Island soon. )
    Last edited by Lanek; 02-19-2013 at 06:11 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

I'm not sure.
    granted it's different from what we're used too, but some of the IT guys i work with used it for a a month and then went back to Win7 and actually said they preferred it and have since re-installed it.

After wasting my whole lunch break at work reading it, i get the general impression that AMD really don't care for Nvidia's roadmap and they don't see it as a threat.
    they're comments boareder on inviting Nvidia to do better and hit back at them, which makes me think they have something up there sleeve that they're not telling us about
    i felt a little dig going in with this comment
    Roy: "We should make it clear that NVIDIA is a good company, and we respect their attempted transition into being a smartphone company."
    It's nice to see the underdog landing some heavy punches again.
    Bring on the motorbikes!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    yes but it wont hurt windows7 users but will favour win8 amd users
    I'm not so sure about that. One of the biggest hurdles DX10 had was the amount of people who refused to move to vista. There's little point in game makers aggressively supporting the next best thing if people aren't buying the hardware or the OS to support it. Just keep in mind that it really wasn't until Windows 7 came around that a majority of people had a DX10 capable OS.

There are some good things you can say about Windows 8, but almost all of the revolving around thin and light laptops with touch enabled screens. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's what most people want, but they are hardly relevant for gaming.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Mentor
    dx11.1 does not put much on dx11 and believe me what game developers will do to support dx11.1 will not take much of their time. also this is for mostly marketing.

Visitor
    Saw this a while back:
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...ures_after_all

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i understand no new gpu for the 2013th year. they didn't put 13th floors in buildings either. skipped to the 14th.
    plus it makes sense. all the consoles also skipping 13th year waiting for 14th
    and this gives 1 more whole year of directly optimizing games for 7000 series . which will be in all next gen consoles.
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Banned
    No new "GPU" until Q4 of '13 but new GPU products throughout '13 based on existing GPU chippy.