Thread: Well this is probably relevant - home FTP server for backups?

Well this is probably relevant - home FTP server for backups?

I have a dual sossaman box running WCG. Not a lot of horsepower but it is a fun little 2P box Anyway, I have some friends who have local backups of their stuff but like the idea of having offsite backup. So we looked into the typical Carbonite, etc, but then I got the idea that maybe I should look into hosting my very own FTP server they could then back up to. Saves them money, it could be fun to do, I could use it for other things, and hey, the box is running already anyway They would run their backups at night so it won't affect my internet or theirs too much... my download rate is far faster than their uploads combined, so that's a non-issue.

So... ideas of how to go about this? The box currently has XP Pro but that's just what I had lying around when I set it up. I could go with something else.

Also, I have a dynamic IP as is typical, so I'd need some sort of dynamic DNS service I guess. There used to be some free ones but not sure if they are or not or which is recommended, or whatever. So info for that would be helpful too.

Danke!
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    My FTP server, running on my good old sammy (one of them that is), uses FileZilla Server which has treated me well. For IP, I have a 'dynamic' IP as well, but it only changes once every few months so I just update the dns manually.
    CRUNCHERS
    Main 920@3.99GHz 12GB DDR3 NVIDIA 480GTX Back-UPS NS 1250
    Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 4 x NODES 2 x 2.4GHz E5530 24GBper node,Total 8 x 2.4GHz E5530 96GB
    Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 4 x NODES 2 x 2.13GHz L5630 16GBper node,Total 8 x 2.13GHz L5630 64GB
    DellServer 2x L5420 (4core) 8GB ECC DDR2
    Server 2x 2GHz Sossaman's 4GB ECC DDR2 (RAID 6 4x2TB Samsung F4 HD204UI 2x2TB WD Red) - under loonym
    SkillsServer 2x AMD 6-core 6GB ECC DDR2 XenServer || Zipples AMD 940 4core
    Sammy 3 2x 2GHz Sossaman's/4GB || Sammy 4 2x 2GHz Sossaman's 1GB ECC DDR2
    PART TIME CRUNCHERS
    Cruncher 4 950@3.06GHz 3GB DDR3 EVGA 275GTX ASUS 260GTX EVGA260GTX || Sammy 5 Supermicro 2x Dual-Core Xeon 2GHz/4GB/80 Server 6014L-M
    Athlon II x2 3 GHz 4GB DDR3 320GB RAID1 + 320GB Backup
    CSHS_CISCO CRUNCHERS http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...cg&name=828782
    5x (AMD FX 8120 (8core) 8GB DDR3 Running through XenServer ||AMD FX 8120 (8core) 4GB DDR3 2xRadion Cards Intel i7 950 4GB DDR3
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=458094 http://allprojectstats.com/su1429018x5--1-2.png

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirvash View Post
    My FTP server, running on my good old sammy (one of them that is), uses FileZilla Server which has treated me well. For IP, I have a 'dynamic' IP as well, but it only changes once every few months so I just update the dns manually.
    Using filezilla as well, officially I have dynamic IP, but, I got 3 static IP, not sure why they call it dynamic.... I have locked my IP to the routers MAC, works pretty well for me.
    As for OS..... Win7 works the magic for me...
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Sammy's make perfect FTP servers and the dynamic IP isn't really a hassle..Just check your IP and your buddies will definately let you know.
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

The thing with the dynamic IP and the backups is these people won't check to see if it is actually backing up or not, or remember how to change the settings when there is an IP change. I would like to make it a "set it and forget it" thing so it just works.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Subscribed.

Looking forward to what you come up with Sparky. I have a Sammy rig that Dave gave me. Been running for probably a couple months now. I want to use it as a NAS but, not sure exactly how to do it. I know this isn't the same as what you're trying but, I'm still curious. May need to do something like this in the future.

Xtreme Addict
    Filezilla server here too. Great piece of software. My friends and I have our own home servers and we browse each other's to get our files etc.
    Does anybody know if Filezilla server supports FXP so our servers can sync without any browsing?

Regarding the dynamic IP, you can write a small script that checks your external IP regularly and sends an email to the user if the IP has changed since the last check.
    You can use http://checkip.dyndns.com/ which should be easy to parse.
    I'm working on it right now for my FTP server. My IP does not change so often, but I want to do it just for kicks. If you are interested I can share my code with you once I get it to work.

Love will tear us apart
    Quote Originally Posted by my87csx481 View Post
    I want to use it as a NAS but, not sure exactly how to do it.
    FreeNAS.org and/or napp-it is a good place to start. There is also something called OpenFiler.
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I have a dual sossaman box running WCG. Not a lot of horsepower but it is a fun little 2P box Anyway, I have some friends who have local backups of their stuff but like the idea of having offsite backup. So we looked into the typical Carbonite, etc, but then I got the idea that maybe I should look into hosting my very own FTP server they could then back up to. Saves them money, it could be fun to do, I could use it for other things, and hey, the box is running already anyway They would run their backups at night so it won't affect my internet or theirs too much... my download rate is far faster than their uploads combined, so that's a non-issue.

So... ideas of how to go about this? The box currently has XP Pro but that's just what I had lying around when I set it up. I could go with something else.

Also, I have a dynamic IP as is typical, so I'd need some sort of dynamic DNS service I guess. There used to be some free ones but not sure if they are or not or which is recommended, or whatever. So info for that would be helpful too.

Danke!
    Hi, I am all for running my own ftp server and it is fun to figure it out and so on, but I had to let you in on what I found. The website crashplan.com allows you to download their software for free to use on as many computers as you want and it allows you to back up to a HDD, different computer in your house, a friends computer off site, and of course, if you pay, you can back up to crashplan.com. I pay to be able to back up offsite but I also setup my wife and my computer to back up to eachother. The best part is that your buddy can't open your files when you back up to his computer and you can set how many system resources you can use and when you can use them. No static IP either.

I AM NOT ASSOCIATED WITH CRASHPLAN.COM GUYS!! I just thought it was really interesting and I just found out about it in a magazine. Tell me what ya'll think.

Xtreme Member
    Try to avoid FTP. It is old and insecure (passwords sent over plain text... not a good idea!). Make sure you use SFTP (or something better). FreeNAS is a quick set it and forget it kind of OS (based on FreeBSD). There are still some free dynamic dns services out there. Google should provide some help with that.

Desktop (and Cruncher #1):AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.03Ghz | Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P (F8n) | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB @ 9-9-9-24-1T 1680MHz | Radeon HD 5850 & 5830 | Silverstone ST75F 750W | 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 3x1TB WD RE3 (Raid 5) | Lian Li PC-A70B
    Cruncher (#2): Intel Core I7 920 (stock) | EVGA X58 SLI | G.Skill Pi 3x2GB | 2x Radeon HD 6870 | Corsair HX850 | Some Janky HDD | LanCool PC-K7
    Cruncher (#3): Intel Core I7 2600k (stock) | BioStar TH67+ | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB | Antec Basiq550 | Some Janky HDD | Antec 300
    Server: Intel Atom | 2x2GB DDR3 | ThermalRight TR2-430 | Some Less Janky Laptop HDD | Fractal Core-1000
    Mobile: Lenovo X120e