Thread: Thermal Paste on the Mobo Pins

Hackintosh Lover
    Between London & Eastbourne, United Kingdom

Thermal Paste on the Mobo Pins

So long story short... I got a new Motherboard OEM Gigabyte X79-UD5 and before install the CPU I found myself looking at this... The pins on the mobo have thermal paste on it... and I find myself in a predicament... am not sure how I would remove it.. I do have Arcticlean, which is what I use to clean thermal paste with... but never clean that part of the mobo first... not sure if trying cleaning it, or just send it back... am sure the pins are very delicate... so I dont know what to do... Help appreciated..

PS caught between wanting to clean it so I can use it already... or returning so I dont blow the mobo or CPU.
    Why Not Try a Hackintosh for A Change?? Steps HERE!!
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Winners of EURO 08 | World Cup 10 | EURO 12
    Quote: Killin' Tube Kinks One Coil At A Time
    Hackintosh Lover
    "Dumb people" shouldn't use "Smart Phones"

New Personal Wallpapers Selection

Xtreme Enthusiast
    2 things bro -------- 1- compressed air spray or 2 - use air compressor if you can
    hersounds powered by 121 % overclocking Machine http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=220390 - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1917405

facebook.com/hersounds

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4,5 Ghz 24/7 - Galaxy HOF GTX 780 - 8 GB Team Group Xtreem 2666 Cas 11 - 8Gb Avexir Core series 2800 Blue Led - Maximus VI Formula Armor TUF - Corsair Force GT 120 GB SATA 3 - Galaxy Hall of fame 1200 hersounds Limited edition Modular - Antec 620 dual fan mod

Hackintosh Lover
    If I use a Air-Compressor am scare ill just spread it around the mobo... so Ill try to isolate the pins and rap the rest of the mobo... :$ Ill let you guys know...
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Banned
    It the TIM you are using is non-electro conducting then the TIM cleaner or electrical contact cleaner and compressed air should do the trick. If however the TIM you are using is electro conducting you're going to need to get every spec of the TIM off or you could fry the CPU/mobo.

BTW, I don't know that there is anyone to "return" it to as this issue would not be a warranty issue.

Hackintosh Lover
    Thats my predicament am pretty sure its silver paste, which IS conductive... so like AMDforME said ill end up frying the CPU and Mobo... this Mobo is OEM, and its how it arrived so Ill be calling Overclokers.co.uk tomorrow as they have 90 returned policy I have just notices than the CPU protector is like this!

Defiantly expecting my money back.
    Last edited by davidkozat; 02-14-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Pie assassin
    send it back.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Xtreme Member
    Dishwasher...seriously.
    Let it dry, use a hair dryer afterwards and isopropyl or something and you're good to go. (remove the cmos battery before washing it)
    Or just send it back.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A toothbruch maybe ? As long as you keep the moves in the "gentle" range..

Or any other brush with soft hair...you can moist the tip first in isopropyl

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by felix_w View Post
    A toothbruch maybe ? As long as you keep the moves in the "gentle" range..

Or any other brush with soft hair...you can moist the tip first in isopropyl
    Big mistake if you ever try this method. The pins are super fragile, they bend at the slightest touch, even a hair snag will bend a pin. Spray some goop remover on it, then use compress air, blow it out. If that doesn't work, perhaps super fine piece of clothe, using the super fine tip of a blade? Just barely touch the thermal paste to clean it.
    Asus Rampage II Gene, Xeon W3550 D0 Mushkin PC3-2000 6GB, BFG 9600GT OC 512MB DDR3
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe 1.01G, AMD A64 4000+, 2x1GB Ultra PC-3200, EVGA 7600GT 256MB DDR3
    Asus MA378-T with AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850
    ECS 945GCT-M/1333 v3.0, Intel Celeron E1400, MSI 8500GT 256MB DDR3
    BIOStar P4M900-M7 Rev. 7.0, Intel Celeron 440, 1GB Kingston, 6600LE
    Gigabyte M61PME-S2P with AMD Athlon 64 LE-1660, EVGA 8500GT 1GB DDR2

I am Xtreme
    Whatever you do, DON'T touch the pins, they're fragile beyond belief. Just return the board.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Hackintosh Lover
    Just called Overclockers, and he explain how RMA does NOT cover pin damage or thermal paste problems... so I explained politely that the mobo sold to us us OEM, and had been previously used (Guess) and had thermal paste all over mobo and CPU pins.... and didnt wanna risk shorting it.. Ill let you know guys what happen after I send it back today.

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Xtreme Member
    Good luck man! I hate when they don't cover pin related stuff, those suckers tend to screw up easily.
    If not the washing machine method works eh: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=726834

PI in the face
    I got TIM in my z77 socket, more then you have. Used air compressor to blow it down into the little pin sockets. It wont damage anything there, what will damage things is if you are shorting two together. Been using it this way for months now with multiple CPU's and no issues. Its still visible on the socket.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Wait, the dishwasher solution is amateur theater.

This is not complicated. You just need a good quality clean spray gun loaded with ispropyl alcohol and a magnifying glass.

First practice with the spray pressure on the gun, and once set spray isopropyl alcohol to dissolve/blow away the paste. The gun should be fine pointed with good pressure.

See if you can get 99% isopropyl; if you cannot buy online, the local university chemistry department can probably help.

Just make sure everything is clean. Keep the board horizontal.
    Last edited by xytrius; 02-15-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Dishwasher was meant for vaseline actually...but it should apply here :p
    I hate lga sockets, those pins are so fragile :/

Hackintosh Lover
    Thanks for your suggestions are answer guys. I appreciate all your answers, Ill be returning it to overclockers lets see what happens.

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Hackintosh Lover

Xtreme Member
    Good luck!