Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Off Your Server!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    I still want to know what Andy does for a living

-PB
    He spends his days starring at his collection of 10,000 24lb gold bullion bars.!

Andy: I hav a new version of that LL343B that isn't the D8000...
    Set up for 2-280 rads oin the top and one in the inside bottom..
    I think there are three that exist and one is sitting here.
    Even the LL rep didn't beleive I had it till I showed him a pic..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Well do share model number =]
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Set up for 2-280 rads oin the top and one in the inside bottom..
    I think there are three that exist and one is sitting here.
    Even the LL rep didn't beleive I had it till I showed him a pic..
    That's interesting. Over here in Europe, this case came and went multiple times on and off the market. I've seen posts in german server forums that the german subsidiary of Lian Li seems to be behind some of the developments of this case - but can't verify the accuracy of such statements. It might be that you have one of those cases which were sold in Germany but was at the same time listed on the ww website as discontinued.
    Anyway, it is a convenient product if you need to get many disk drives into one case. With proper fans (I use Noctua) the noise level is super low. An added benefit of the low power design goal. Low power -> low heat -> low fan speed -> low noise. No component is above 45 degrees.

rgds,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    I'm working on a <$300 budget rig myself, should have pretty close perf to yours except for seq disk transfers. I went with an Intel Dual S1366 board, 16GB of ram, a 120GB SSD (refurb), and pair of Xeon EC3539s. Shopping mostly on Ebay, but with the SSD, case, and CPU coolers coming from Newegg, I'm at a total of $382 including shipping. I had a spare PSU to use with it, and spare spindle disks, so those costs aren't included. Just waiting for the last parts (the mobo and SSD) to arrive so I can spin it up. Hopefully it'll work out well. Mine is going to be crammed into a pretty small mid tower ATX case once I get the mods done.

--Matt
    So have you received your motherboard and SSD yet? I have decided to use 3X seagate cheetah 15k.5 146GB SAS HDD's in RAID 0 of course. Shortly after I received the 73GB version of the drives I was going to use, I was a bit disappointed at the read and write performance, so I went back online and purchased 4 Seagate Cheetah's but one of the sellers dropped one and cancelled my order, so I only have 3 in route now and I guess I will stick with those for now. If I want more, I'll get the fourth later.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by victorc777 View Post
    So have you received your motherboard and SSD yet? I have decided to use 3X seagate cheetah 15k.5 146GB SAS HDD's in RAID 0 of course. Shortly after I received the 73GB version of the drives I was going to use, I was a bit disappointed at the read and write performance, so I went back online and purchased 4 Seagate Cheetah's but one of the sellers dropped one and cancelled my order, so I only have 3 in route now and I guess I will stick with those for now. If I want more, I'll get the fourth later.
    Yeah, but the build is delayed for heatsink screws & springs. The coolers I bought have push pins and the backplate is a critical piece of the socket, so I had to order an alternate mounting solution.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Addict
    I received the screws for the heatsinks and modded them to fit yesterday. Unfortunately, it's a non-starter though It seems the EC3539s that I bought aren't 2P chips and, consequently, aren't supported by this board. All I got was a 1-5-2-1 beep code (no cpu detected). Oh well, off to find a workable pair of 2P chips. There seem to be plenty of L5520s available for not too horribly much more than the EC3539s.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 03-31-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

I received the screws for the heatsinks and modded them to fit yesterday. Unfortunately, it's a non-starter though It seems the EC3539s that I bought aren't 2P chips and, consequently, aren't supported by this board. All I got was a 1-5-2-1 beep code (no cpu detected). Oh well, off to find a workable pair of 2P chips. There seem to be plenty of L5520s available for not too horribly much more than the EC3539s.

--Matt
    I'm sorry to hear it. I just looked it up and they are not 2p chips, Link. I know that you are aware now, but I just had to see if maybe it was possible. Anyways, I would like to see your modded heatsinks.

By the way, I have a Radeon HD 5770 GPU which was dead, it one day flickered on and off for a few hours and then it was gone. Now for the crazy good news, I ran across a forum post about broken GPU's and this guy was interestingly successful at bringing his card back to life by baking it for 10 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius in his oven!! Well, what did I have to lose? I did it and now it freaking works!! the only caveat to this is that it only works when the computer is turned on after a full shutdown, it doesn't work when I just reset my rig. It is a bit of a hassle, BUT, I have a working 5770!! I benched it, stressed it and left it on all day and so far, rock solid! I may just run the 5770 now instead of the firepro since the 5770 is far superior to the firepro v3900, spec wise. Good luck finding a pair of xeon's for your rig.

--Matt
    BTW, I found some for what I think is a good price on ebay, Link. These should be a really good replacement since they Turbo clock higher and they are hyperthreaded! 16 Threads!!

Xtreme Addict
    BTW, I found some for what I think is a good price on ebay, Link. These should be a really good replacement since they Turbo clock higher and they are hyperthreaded! 16 Threads!!
    I ended up getting a pair for $41.99 apiece shipped, roughly the same price. Hopefully all will be well with them
    My Rig :

I ended up getting a pair for $41.99 apiece shipped, roughly the same price. Hopefully all will be well with them
    Great! Honestly, your build is making me want to upgrade to dual LGA1366 and Xeon's. Those are nice and I bet they will beat the crap out of my opty's. I always want to build new rigs, even before I'm done with the one I am working on. I'm addicted to it.

Xtreme Addict
    Great! Honestly, your build is making me want to upgrade to dual LGA1366 and Xeon's. Those are nice and I bet they will beat the crap out of my opty's. I always want to build new rigs, even before I'm done with the one I am working on. I'm addicted to it.
    Haha, I'm a bit more excited about it now myself. HT and normal speed QPI sounds much better. All of the dual Nehalem Xeon systems I work with at work have three channels of ram populated per cpu. I'm interested in finding out how big of a difference having only two will make. I've had single core Nehalem i7 systems, but never with any less than all 3 channels populated.

--Matt
    My Rig :

Xtreme Cruncher
    Does this count ?
    Last edited by Duh; 03-31-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Quote Originally Posted by Duh View Post
    Does this count ?
    Well, it is a server, but what "Is it"? Is this yours, work, or a buddy's? What is the specs? What is it for?

Xtreme Addict
    I received everything that I needed to finish my rig, but it looks like this mobo is bad. Both CPUs work properly when in socket 1, but nothing works if either one is in either socket if 2 are installed. The diagnostic LEDs don't blink at all, it just powers up and sits there. I'm going to try to get a replacement from the ebay merchant if I can. It does run just fine with one installed though:

--Matt
    My Rig :

Xtreme Addict
    Woot, I've been granted an RMA. Hopefully this'll all be sorted soon.
    My Rig :

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    Well do share model number =]
    I would if I knew one..Closest I can come is a LL 343B ver2
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    That's interesting. Over here in Europe, this case came and went multiple times on and off the market. I've seen posts in german server forums that the german subsidiary of Lian Li seems to be behind some of the developments of this case - but can't verify the accuracy of such statements. It might be that you have one of those cases which were sold in Germany but was at the same time listed on the ww website as discontinued.
    Anyway, it is a convenient product if you need to get many disk drives into one case. With proper fans (I use Noctua) the noise level is super low. An added benefit of the low power design goal. Low power -> low heat -> low fan speed -> low noise. No component is above 45 degrees.

rgds,
    Andy
    It is a beauty and I agree with you on everything made by Noctua, just expensive here in the US. They are in Austria I beleive..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Wuf

From top to bottom:
    Dell C6100 XS23-TY3, 2 nodes. Each holding
    -2x L5520
    -48GB DDR3 ECC Reg

Empty SC723T-500B, painted pink by earlier owner

HP MSA70, 25x2.5" SAS/SATA DAS

Dell Powervault MD1000 15x3.5" SAS/SATA DAS

These are not deployed yet! I ought to silence the MSA70 and MD1000 before using them.
    Also they're bit tricky to fan swap as they got a lot of logic for fan detecting. So quite lot of oscilloscoping incoming and presumably custom electronics
    Looking into getting 3rd C6100 node to function as Solaris server with L5630 and 8-16GBs of ECC DDR3.
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

Xtreme Member

Lightbulb

My new little beast, HP DL160 G6.

2x L5520, 16GB DDR3 ECC and small 160GB SATA hdd.

Next steps: upgrade to 48GB and expand storage capacity + RAID controller and then move it to DC.

Wuf
    How audible are those gen 6 hps?
    I had 2U gen7 hp server running on my desk here at work for a while, couldn't really hear it in a normal office environment.
    Last edited by s0lid; 04-17-2013 at 12:12 AM.
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

I received everything that I needed to finish my rig, but it looks like this mobo is bad. Both CPUs work properly when in socket 1, but nothing works if either one is in either socket if 2 are installed. The diagnostic LEDs don't blink at all, it just powers up and sits there. I'm going to try to get a replacement from the ebay merchant if I can. It does run just fine with one installed though:

--Matt
    I'm sorry to hear that... Well, atleast you were granted an RMA. Have you received it yet? I have mine up and running now. I ended up getting an SSD for my boot drive, OCZ vertex 2 240GB. I hope I have good luck this time around with SSD's. I also ordered a Radeon HD 7850 2GB graphics card. Sad thing is, is that by the time I'm finished with the mods, my CPU's, PCI-E slot, and Memory will be the only bottleneck, which means...................Motherboard upgrade after awhile. I am never satisfied, lol. BTW, I do have a newer board that has DDR3, 6 core, and PCI-E 2.0 (X16) support, BUT, that one is not as fun as my dually.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0lid View Post
    How audible are those gen 6 hps?
    I had 2U gen7 hp server running on my desk here at work for a while, couldn't really hear it in a normal office environment.
    Didn't stressed it yet. Idle it's ok, similar to a normal workstation.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm sorry to hear that... Well, atleast you were granted an RMA. Have you received it yet? I have mine up and running now. I ended up getting an SSD for my boot drive, OCZ vertex 2 240GB. I hope I have good luck this time around with SSD's. I also ordered a Radeon HD 7850 2GB graphics card. Sad thing is, is that by the time I'm finished with the mods, my CPU's, PCI-E slot, and Memory will be the only bottleneck, which means...................Motherboard upgrade after awhile. I am never satisfied, lol. BTW, I do have a newer board that has DDR3, 6 core, and PCI-E 2.0 (X16) support, BUT, that one is not as fun as my dually.
    Just received word that the replacement shipped out today actually. Hopefully it'll come before the weekend. I picked up one of those pcie x1 Geforce 610 cards for mine. It wont be doing anything graphics intensive, but I need more than a VGA port.

-Matt
    My Rig :

Xtreme Addict
    Got some new toys today.

--Matt
    My Rig :

Xtreme Addict
    Just slapped haphazardly together, but it's alive!

--Matt
    My Rig :

Just slapped haphazardly together, but it's alive!

--Matt
    Here is mine so far. I have been a bit too lazy to finish the frame, but it can be hung on the wall now.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast