Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aliens: Colonial Marines

Xtreme Addict

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Anyone else playing this?
    I just got it bit ago, played through until I got to the planet and gave it up for the time being.
    Much improved graphic I think.

The assault rifle I'm not to fond of though, very inaccurate lol, for me I have a hard time killing humans with it.
    That's about all I think about it so far, haven't played it enough yet to really say.
    Made me jump once so far lol .

Xtreme Addict
    Played through the campaign in COOP yesterday, over all pretty good Far from as bad as some reviews ranked it. But the campaign was really short, 5-6h, thats probably my biggest complaint.
    MP seem to be really nice from what I've read, but haven't had a chance to test it myself yet.
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

If this game gets a modding community who can add stuff to SP, I can see this game having a huge amount of potential.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wez View Post
    Played through the campaign in COOP yesterday, over all pretty good Far from as bad as some reviews ranked it. But the campaign was really short, 5-6h, thats probably my biggest complaint.
    MP seem to be really nice from what I've read, but haven't had a chance to test it myself yet.
    You're right it was a little short, I just beat it.
    Credits were interesting though, halfway through it, there's some comments or whatever, a little diff from the norm.

@Ket
    The game I guess is biased off the unreal engine.
    Which reminds me, it should be relatively easy to add ao and aa to the game with known compatibility bits for the nvidia profile stuff.
    Anyways maybe we'll see some mods, I'de personally like to see a longer sp campaign, or an alt one.

The only thing that really bothers me is that you can't climb ladders.
    You can't jump over rails most of the time.
    And there's times where there's a locked door that won't open until your buddies get there to unlock it, there's a few of 'em, no animation for it, they just become unlocked.
    When I was supposed to disable the power cell's, there was a door I couldn't get unlocked, I searched around for about 20mins until I came back and all the sudden the door opened :\.

Once in a great while there is a alien that won't attack, it runs up to you and sits lol, if you shoot it a few times then it'll attack.
    There's also that spot where you 1st encounter the spitting aliens, there's 2 of 'em on the wall or whatever and when you get up to that area they run away, you can shoot them, but they can't die, I emptied a few clips into them from a distance and apparently they're not supposed to be killed.

All in all, the game was alright.
    I just wish they would of let you free roam it, it'de be more realistic I think.

Oh and one more thing, the sewer level.
    That level scared my cat lol, he didn't like the breathing like sound from that giant alien.

Now that I think about it, there was an alien towards the end of the game that I killed, a random one, but the only one that I can think off that made a crazy sound when it died, sounded like a women, it's weird.
    Then again all of the aliens were people at one time lol, in some sense.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 02-13-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I really wanted to like the gameplay but you really have to be a fan to enjoy the game.
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/al...lonial-marines
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

I looked forward to Colonial Marines for years thinking it would be like playing the Aliens 2 film only with a awesome SP element that lasted some 20hrs. Now the game is here... it needs modding to live up to most peoples expectations. Bums me out At least with the game being built on the UT3 engine mods should be easy to make including expanding the SP element.
    Last edited by Ket; 02-13-2013 at 02:28 PM.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, I was hoping for a L4D meets AVP. It's getting trashed pretty hard in the game world
    http://kotaku.com/5984068/how-aliens...nes-fell-apart

Gearbox Insider on Reddit
    http://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/commen..._at_the_final/
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Addict
    @3lfk1ng
    Whoa, thanks for the links.
    That makes alot of sense, and I do agree with alot of the user comments out there too.

Graphics wise, with a -15 lod bais and disabling fxaa (why bother with a half @ssed aa to begin with...), it looks alright.
    Some stuff looks dated, but all games do to some extent, some more then others.
    But it looked alright.

Engine wise, gameplay and such, it's much like any aliens game, not up to par.
    It never is.
    But it's still neat, the whole idea is a good one.

@Ket
    Totally agree, I've been waiting for such a game for a very long time.
    The game that came out before avp2010 was kinda neat, I only played the demo.
    Horrible engine and such, but still a cool idea, much like the die hard game that came out around the same time I think.

That reminds me, a new die hard game would be cool...

I didn't think the audio was any good.
    But I wasn't using my headphones, just the 3watt flat sounding speakers in my asus monitor.

At 1st I thought the idea of adding the spitter type and the ramming type of aliens was gonna be a disaster.
    But it wasn't to bad.

There is one thing that stuck out to me.
    On lv246, there's supposed to be I think maybe 200 or so people in the colony.
    I don't know, I'de have to watch the movie again.
    But I don't think the amount of aliens on that planet matched up with the story.
    That and a bigger group of marines in the actual movie, half a dozen of 'em or more, had a heck of a time with less aliens then you do in this game.
    In that respect it feels unrealistic.
    You kill at least a hundred or more of 'em, but it doesn't quite feel dangerous or feel like you're hunting or anything.

The acid blood it's self is little danger to the player, if it's in your face then ya, but in the movies, getting anywhere near those aliens when they died was bad news, it meant your out of the action for good, either dead or lying down all bandaged up.

The recycling of the stuff the characters say in the game, straight from the movies was cheap.
    I'm in the bleh 5 by 5 derp, and I'm out of ammo cover me (hicks says this in the game over and over...).

The npc characters, the marines, there was a spot in the game were I was supposed to disable 2 turrets in a row.
    They just stood up getting shot at by those turrets, that was pretty lame.

I agree with one comment I found, I'de rather play the game without any computer ai characters helping me, they don't help much and it might be funner to try it without help.

I've gotta try 3dvision mode and the highest difficulty.

Oh and btw, I know this is gotta be a dx9 game, otherwise the lod bais wouldn't adjust for me in my current driver.
    So performance might be slow for some, but it seemed quick enough, I wasn't running msi afterburner to know for sure though.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 02-13-2013 at 05:15 PM.

At least for now we can look at the bright side... loads of (hopefully) free DLC to fix this game. GBX, TG, FOX, etc are getting slammed from every corner of the interwebz because of this. The game even looks sh|t because the textures are crap. Sadly, thats not even the worst part.. as we all probably know the story is crap and doesn't explain anything nevermind make any sense, the guns feel like your using giant legos to kill stuff, animations are... primitive, and thats being kind. Animations even in generic stalker SoC are better, models are also poor, the maps don't make much sense (I was expecting to visit areas we see in aliens 2 plus other places not seen in the film or get glossed over), the entire game really is a clusterf|_|kery. Audio though, all things considered, isn't too bad but even that is dumbed down just like the moronic AI, and you never get the feeling your really playing a aliens game your always quite happy to plod along the corridor and just mow down whatever is in your way. Using the next best example, who can say the same even today when playing Doom3? Even in a room that is actually empty you still spend a couple mins carefully eyeing over the darkness of the room to try and make sure you don't get your eyes clawed out or your arse shot at. Oh and before I forget because it's kinda a big deal.. what the hell is it with the aliens acid blood not hurting you one bit when you shoot a alien in the face with the shotgun? Or anything for that matter if your close enough. Oh and something else... pulse rifle... muzzle flash like your firing a present-day AR.. really? WTF.
    Last edited by Ket; 02-13-2013 at 06:16 PM.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Mentor
    i hope gearbox makes acm2 all by themselves. ruining a good idea like this is shows their stupidity.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    Such a shame that so much content got left out.

Pre-release/release comparison
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lGXDM3LGnk

Why isnt this in the game? Like the loader getting over run.. Big bug ripping heads off... Looks pretty damn amazing. If I had watched this near the release, I'd been a bit disappointed as well. Thinking back, there where many times things just cut/ended quite unexpectedly. And its clear now that events such as the loader/head ripping either was plain broken in the release version, or just didn't make the deadline..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyebULYg_vc

Still, I had fun in COOP so got my moneys worth. But hoping they'll get this patched up sooner rather than later.
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200

^^ You sir, should be shot. Co-op means jack sh|t this game was supposed to be all about the campaign with co-op being a neat addition that added to the atmosphere.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    ^^ You sir, should be shot. Co-op means jack sh|t this game was supposed to be all about the campaign with co-op being a neat addition that added to the atmosphere.
    I knew cleaning up my block list was a bad idea.. Back you go
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200

Back you go to your self denial about the game, then. If you can't accept simple truths about what something like a game was supposed to be like, perhaps you shouldn't be a forum member at all - anywhere
    Last edited by Ket; 02-14-2013 at 04:51 AM.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    //Nutshell
    {
    Because if Ket feels strongly about something then he is right, and you are wrong. And don't you go telling him that you kinda agree, cause he wants to argue!
    }
    Last edited by Kallenator; 02-14-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Mentor
    actually i was waiting this game for a good coop gameplay but now i am afraid to tell it here

Xtreme Mentor

Mission being played is 'One Bullet', difficulty is 'Hardened'

Xtreme Mentor
    and no hope left for me to buy this game

Xtreme Addict
    The ver comparison video wez posted was good.
    I don't think by forcing AO will cut it now...

Lots of textures look like they are from the ps1 with some added filtering (probably trilinear from my card).
    And some look like codwaw style (which is actually a good thing type of deal...).
    Whatever.

The video Olivon posted is hilarious.

An hour or 2 ago I played both escape mode levels.
    One of the levels you can't destroy eggs in, the other you can.
    Playing as an alien, is pretty lame I thought, might as well combine all the attacks into a single alien char.
    Running on the walls and climbing is awkward when your char falls off when you run into a diff type of surface, which is kinda weird because half the time the new surface is climbable as well.
    It seems like you have to wait for the marines to get to the next area of the map before you can make it there, via the same path the marines took to the next part ^^.
    I played this mode offline mind you, which means there are no players except for mine lol.
    No cpu controlled enemies, no controlling the bigger aliens as far as I know either unless I missed that or it's unlockable.

Characters also travel next to crashed fusion reactors, no radiation there... no one notices stuff like that though so perhaps in real life it would be the same with no mention lol.

Number one complaint for me, I'm kinda kidding...
    Can't shoot infected people's, not on the wall, not that chick bella...

I had gotten the silencer and equipped it, yesterday, I didn't try it until this morning.
    Why did I waste a point on that stupid thing, the fire rate isn't even higher with it on there like it is probably supposed to be.

Xtremeish
    Hahaha, oh man

It's like the Crysis 2 gameplay all over again, but its even worse!
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Enthusiast
    After reading and viewing everything since release I am SOOO glad I canceled my Pr-Order for this. If there was ever an appropriate thing for clusterf*** then this is 2013's version already.

Xtreme Addict
    I just saw this video, made me laugh a few times, I think the success of the game is not in the game but in the video's making fun of it...

c[_]
    best part is spaceballs bit

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    I got sgssaa working for it.
    1st working compatibility value I found is: 0x00411245 (nvidia thing..., not an ati/amd thing...).

8x sgssaa is a bit to much for a 680 (yeah yeah, hahaha, the 680 isn't enough for the game sorta thing... :\ ).
    I recommend 4x.

This is the value I use for skyrim btw, it may not be the best, but it works for now.
    I haven't tried getting ao working yet.

Oh and disable fxaa from the game, that not be a good thing to run them both at the same time, no reason for it, it would just slow it down.
    I'm guessing the game might have it's own half @rsed ver of AO as well like several other games.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 02-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Xtreme Mentor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast