Thread: Strange thing... Memory experts to help me? :D

Xtreme Member

Strange thing... Memory experts to help me? :D

Greatings!

I'm having a really strange happening with a memories kit that I've bought.

It's this one: 4x8GB 9-9-9-28 1.5v Geil EVO Veloce GEV332GB1600C9QC

They can do the xmp profile with no problems, whitch is 1600mhz 9-9-9-28 with 1.5v.

Then when I wanted to try to go further, I found a critical problem :S

Above 1600mhz multiplier, it's just... impossible! I've tryed even 11-12-12-36-2T with 1.85v for 1800mhz!!! And the mobo (EVGA Z77) keeps saying: 55

And it's not of the motherboard, because on a ASRock Extreme 6 socket FM2 the problem is the same.

So I thought on this: "I've just bought 32GB of " But then I've tryied another thing: xmp at 1600mhz and raise just the BCLK.

Result:

Perfectly SPi 32M finish at 1725mhz at 9-9-9-28-2T with 1.5v! Only tryied on Z77 and today will try on AMD, but I just know that it will do about 1900mhz without stress... But it really needs to be with 1600 multi!! Whitch just SUCKS!!

My BIG questions are:

-Is this normal? Was this made to tell you "You want more speed on mems, you need to buy the 2133mhz model, or the 2400mhz model"?

-Can this be fixed? Like... flashing the mems to a same model with same IC's, but more xmp speed? And if yes, where can I find the "firmware" for these?

Thanks for all the help!!

Cheers!!

Andr? Mesquita

Xtreme 3D Team
    Might be some obscure ICs like Nanya, Elpida, PSC etc that are harsh on the IMC or incompatible with the board.

On Trinity (5400K + ASRock FM2 Mini-ITX) I could not get my G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB 1600 CL9 1.25v sticks (Elpida ICs) to run 1866 even at CL11 but 1600 8-8-8-24 1.62v was fine.
    Smile

PI in the face
    32gb is very stressful on imc maybe try 16gb first and see how you fair, also maybe the 1866 divider is weak long shot by try 2133? I know i am more stable at 2666 on samsung then 2600 divider
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Member
    Ok, thanks for the help my friends

And do you think this can also have something to do with NB voltage? Or is this just stupid?

I'll try it SPlave and give some feedback today by night

Xtreme 3D Team
    Out of curiosity, what can you do at CL8-8-8?
    Maybe they are the same Elpida ICs I'm dealing with. Can you pull the HS?

I don't know about Z77 but NB Voltage didn't help on AMD for my problem. I have a set of BBSE with me though to try out in my board, maybe ASRock just sux.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what can you do at CL8-8-8?
    Maybe they are the same Elpida ICs I'm dealing with. Can you pull the HS?

I don't know about Z77 but NB Voltage didn't help on AMD for my problem. I have a set of BBSE with me though to try out in my board, maybe ASRock just sux.
    Will try it and share pall

Banned
    As noted it's asking a lot for 32 GB. to run at much higher frequency than it's rated for. Raising th BCLK will help a little when things are marginal. There could also be BIOS issues for that specific RAM. You might want to e-mail Geil tech support with your results?

Xtreme Member
    Well, yesterday I've tryied to go further with 1600 multiplier on AMD, but it seems that these mems really sucks!! xD

9-9-9-28 or 12-12-12-34 they do the same. 1800mhz, no more than this. after this, they just don't boot. I even try 2.0v, but no, they just suck!!

Will try 8-8-8-24 at 1600mhz and see if they can do it

Cheers!

Banned
    RAM is binned pretty closely these days. If the XMP profile is 1600 MHz. then it's 1333 MHz. RAM that has been tested to run as high as 1600 MHz. Have you tested just 2x 8 GB. ? Does your AMD mobo allow adjusting RAM drive strength? On the AMD mobos you can up the CPU-NB voltage, if you haven't tried this already. If 2x 8GB. will run at a higher frequency, then you can be fairly certain that the 4x 8GB. is taxing the IMC too much to be reliable at the frequencies above 1600 MHz.

I am Xtreme
    So the rams suck cos they do stock specs ? Ever wondered that the limitation could well be your CPU ? the boards bios ? end user ?

Also the rare info you provide makes it hard to judge what is exactly going on. We need bios screens, proper hardware specs listed...

Test with one dimm (test them all seperately). Maybe one dimm is a dud. My 1866C9 4 x 8GB GeILs did 2400MHz without breaking a sweat on Ivy... but that does not help your case much...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Banned
    FWIW, I am testing some replacement Mushkin 2x 4 GB. 1866 MHz. @1.50v rated RAM. With no other changes to an FX-8350 system running rock stable in P95 and OCCT for days, the new RAM, which is suppose to be identical to the defective RAM I returned, will not run @ 1866 MHz. at any voltage up to 1.65v. If I underclock the RAM to 1600 MHz. and up the CPU-NB voltage to 1.5v (Ouch!), and leave the RAM voltage @ 1.65v, I can Prime or run OCCT for ~ 10 hours without issues. Clearly this replacement RAM doesn't even meet the advertised specs - which is both surprising and quite a disappointment from Mushkin.

I expect that I will end up paying again to warranty this RAM. If I get some more duff RAM, this will be the end of my "adventures" with Mushkin. I already skipped their SSDs based on so many problems, which Mushkin admitted were true...

As far as the OP's RAM, I suggested awhile back to try just 2x 8GB. as asking 32GB. to run OC'd is asking a whole lot. As noted it does run at the SMP profile which is 1600 MHz. so he got what he paid for, no more and no less. It's hard to fault the company for delivering exactly what he paid for.